MarksMate

HELP! DUAL CITIZENSHIP POLICE CLEARANCE. K1VISA

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. 

So I am South African born, lived in South Africa up until I was 17 years old. Jan 2008 I moved to New Zealand and have been living in New Zealand since then. Jan 2008 I turned 18. I have New Zealand as my nationality but have kept my South African citizenship. 

Getting my South African police clearance from New Zealand is proving to be a nightmare!! 

Do I have to provide both a South African and New Zealand police clearance for the k1? 

Thankyou 

K1                                                                                                       AOS

20 March 2017: We got engaged!!                                             13 June 2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06 June 2017 - Sent I-129F                                                         15 June 2018 - USCIS signature received.

12 June 2017 - Case was received.                                           20 June 2018 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

14 June 2017 - NOA1                                                                   22 June 2018 - Cash checked

14 December 2017- NOA2                                                          23 June 2018 - Hardcopy i797 for AOS/EAD/AP

26 January 2018 - NVC Scan Date                                            17 July 2018 - Biometrics appt

29 January 2018 - NVC Number                                                24 July 2018 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07 February 2018  -Medical                                                        27 Sept 2018 - Call to request EAD expedite based on pending job offer/financial hardship

20 February 2018 -Interview: APPROVED!                               6 Oct 2018 - Letter in mail stating "Your case is currently under review"

21 February 2018- Visa Issued                                                  16 Nov 2018 - EAD Approved                                                                             

23 February 2018-Visa in hand                                                  24 Nov 2018 - EAD/AP received in mail

20 March 2018 -POE: Los Angeles                                            26 Nov 2018 - SSN mail received 

20 May 2018-Marriage                                                                06 Nov 2018 - Interview Scheduled

16 March 2019 - Interview 

Yes you lived in South Africa for more than 6 months after you turned 16.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/SF.html

~~moved to k1 process and procedures from moving here and your new life~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Sadly yes, did you try going to the South African embassy to ask for the police clearance? I did it with my German one and I had it at home in no time. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

2 hours ago, MarksMate said:

Hi everyone. 

So I am South African born, lived in South Africa up until I was 17 years old. Jan 2008 I moved to New Zealand and have been living in New Zealand since then. Jan 2008 I turned 18. I have New Zealand as my nationality but have kept my South African citizenship. 

Getting my South African police clearance from New Zealand is proving to be a nightmare!! 

Do I have to provide both a South African and New Zealand police clearance for the k1? 

Thankyou 

It’s not that difficult to get, see here https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/SF.html

there are also a number of agencies in SA that specialize in getting things like police records, birth certificates etc for expats, you could try one of those. They’re generally faster than doing it yourself, of course you pay for the privilege of that speed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.