sheka

Can I Adjust Status? Canadian married for 1.5 years

14 posts in this topic

I am currently in USA visiting my USC husband of 1.5 years. I am Canadian Citizen. We frequently visit each other since 2011 since we started dating and met online. Our visits averagely happen every 2 to 3 months, staying 5 to 7 days each visit. We were planning to move to Canada after getting married last May 2016, but I lost my job and unable to process sponsorship from Canada until i find a new one, which is sort of difficult these days. 

I came to visit last September just to spend time with him for a month while i still actively looked for a job in Edmonton, I've been here for 1 month, longest i've been here in USA to see him (my b2 is expiring in March)  I kept my ties to Canada like my credit cards, bank and had a return flight on the 15th, but we talked that since he has a better job here, we just decided to stay here so we can be together finally after 5 years.

We got married in USA in 2016 during one of my visits but I never had intention to stay. We also had another destination wedding attended with our families and friends after the civil ceremony

Is it possible for me to adjust status? I have read about ESTA/Automatic B2 for Canadians being in trouble for visa fraud if we adjust status.

Edited by sheka

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
50 minutes ago, sheka said:

I am currently in USA visiting my USC husband of 1.5 years. I am Canadian Citizen. We frequently visit each other since 2011 since we started dating and met online. Our visits averagely happen every 2 to 3 months, staying 5 to 7 days each visit. We were planning to move to Canada after getting married last May 2016, but I lost my job and unable to process sponsorship from Canada until i find a new one, which is sort of difficult these days. 

I came to visit last September just to spend time with him for a month while i still actively looked for a job in Edmonton, I've been here for 1 month, longest i've been here in USA to see him (my b2 is expiring in March)  I kept my ties to Canada like my credit cards, bank and had a return flight on the 15th, but we talked that since he has a better job here, we just decided to stay here so we can be together finally after 5 years.

We got married in USA in 2016 during one of my visits but I never had intention to stay. We also had another destination wedding attended with our families and friends after the civil ceremony

Is it possible for me to adjust status? I have read about ESTA/Automatic B2 for Canadians being in trouble for visa fraud if we adjust status.

yes you can adjust no problem.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

You cannot adjust status from B2 visa. To quote from the "warning" box in the quide linked above: 

If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the I-130 (or along with an I-129f for a K-3 Visa) should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

1 hour ago, Amit&Julie said:

You cannot adjust status from B2 visa. To quote from the "warning" box in the quide linked above: 

Their intent was determined at POE, none was found as she was allowed to enter. They are fine to adjust.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Just now, Amit&Julie said:

:blush: Thanks for correcting me @Suss&Camm, that's good to know. 

Of course, it's easy to misunderstand much of what's written around these things.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
5 hours ago, Dee elle said:

My understanding is that you can adjust from a B visa, as long as your intent upon entry was NOT to do so.. This seems to be yor story.. you have visited and left several times already.. this trip was no different, but you have had a change in circumstances and have now decided to stay. Many here have reminded us all that intent is assessed by the CBP on your entry, and is not a reason of its own to deny an application...  hoping others with more knowledge will add in here... 

Yes even if their intent was to adjust status. As long as they are let in they can adjust as long as they are IR-1 category.

7 hours ago, sheka said:

Thanks guys! Also, if ever we file, will this be potentially brought up during interview? Are they going to give more scrutiny to our case to prove our intent was not to immigrate upon entry?

They will probably ask about it, but just be honest and you'll be ok. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, sheka said:

I am a canadian and was here as an overstgay! you can apply for a AOS by filling out the greencard applicaiton! it is really easy. the thing is, you can not leave the country until you get a greencard or AP! so if you need something to go home for, be cautious! canadians get a B2 (altho we dont have to apply for it) but as long as you were LEGALLY entered into the country (inspected) you can apply for a greencard and you will be fine! overstay is not a reason to deny a GC!  inbox me if you have any questions:) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, sheka said:

Thanks guys! Also, if ever we file, will this be potentially brought up during interview? Are they going to give more scrutiny to our case to prove our intent was not to immigrate upon entry?

Trust me! ALL they care about at the interview was that your marriage is real! they will ask how you met, where you met ect.. they did not even bring up my overstay and i asked other people and they wont do that. why? bc it is irrelevant! the interview is about your marriage! also, as a canadian the marriage is pretty easy as canada is a low fraud country! so no, you wont get scrutiny at the interview bc of your overstay. but, if you need to leave then you will have problems! you need to stay until you have a greencard which can take a bit of time.  

Note what others are saying about not being g able to leave for a bit - family emergencies, something that you didn't take care of while there needing attention, medical emergency if you are not insured in the US yet... and so on.  If you leave before your AP is approved, you will need to start from scratch for CR-1 and then possibly cannot  use B2 either.

Also it will be a while before you can work in the US.

you may want to consider  filing CR-1/IR-1 now instead, stay a bit more say under 2 Months in two - keep trying for jobs in Canada, start closing open ends there - come back to visit - maybe next trip stay on the full six months - leave and by then your papers should be ready and you get a green card for 10 years (enter after 2nd aniv) you can work from day 1 then and no hassles about possible visa fraud questions.. 

On 11/4/2017 at 11:32 AM, Auds said:

Note what others are saying about not being g able to leave for a bit - family emergencies, something that you didn't take care of while there needing attention, medical emergency if you are not insured in the US yet... and so on.  If you leave before your AP is approved, you will need to start from scratch for CR-1 and then possibly cannot  use B2 either.

Also it will be a while before you can work in the US.

you may want to consider  filing CR-1/IR-1 now instead, stay a bit more say under 2 Months in two - keep trying for jobs in Canada, start closing open ends there - come back to visit - maybe next trip stay on the full six months - leave and by then your papers should be ready and you get a green card for 10 years (enter after 2nd aniv) you can work from day 1 then and no hassles about possible visa fraud questions.. 

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.