2,950 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I filed ROC on 11/11/16; filed N-400 12/31/17.

My ROC was still pending when I had my N-400 interview in March.

Some progress has been made on my case:

Today, I just received a letter from the USCIS. Asking for more evidence, and an interview scheduled for us in May.

On the letter it says "The i-751 in your file must be adjudicated prior to Naturalization. Therefore, you and your spouse must appear for an interview to determine eligibility to remove conditions."

They are even asking for "sworn affidavits from others with personal knowledge of the validity of the marriage" - Is anyone experienced with or have done this before? Can you please shed me some light on how to proceed and how to get it done correctly?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by qan714

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 4/17/2018 at 12:04 AM, qan714 said:

Hey guys,

I filed ROC on 11/11/16; filed N-400 12/31/17.

My ROC was still pending when I had my N-400 interview in March.

Some progress has been made on my case:

Today, I just received a letter from the USCIS. Asking for more evidence, and an interview scheduled for us in May.

On the letter it says "The i-751 in your file must be adjudicated prior to Naturalization. Therefore, you and your spouse must appear for an interview to determine eligibility to remove conditions."

They are even asking for "sworn affidavits from others with personal knowledge of the validity of the marriage" - Is anyone experienced with or have done this before? Can you please shed me some light on how to proceed and how to get it done correctly?

Thank you in advance.

When we filed 751, we had two friends who wrote letters attesting the bona fide nature of our marriage. My tip is you should get your close friends to do so and made copies of their driver licenses, so two pages for each. You should be fine if you submit on going evidence like after you file 400. I took a big pile of additional evidence to the 400 interview, but the officer said i had submitted enough for the 751, but my husband could not attend the interview because he was critically ill and 3 days later after the interview he passed. My situation is sad and complicated, I had to walking in to USCIS  on an emergency basis and gave USCIS the death certificate and had them covert my 751 from a joint application to individual waiver application based on the death of my love. Anyway, i submitted the death certificate and USCIS accepted and told me i would hear from them soon, so I am waiting and waiting. I assume you didn't not take your spouse to the interview? Anyway, your interview is crucial and if you send in additional evidence with letters from friends, you should be ok. My 400 will be rejected 100 percent because my husband died before the oath, even if they approved my both applications, my 400 would still be rejected because INA 349 section D, it is the law. Anyway, good luck.

Edited by Zombie69

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It has been 11 days since I submitted my husband's death certificate, I am expecting my 400 to be rejected, but I think my 751 will be approved eventually, but the question is how long it is going to take. The officer who was so friendly with me told me her supervisor told me i would get a decision very soon. "Very soon", it could be a month or 5 months. My lawyer told there is an expensive way to take care of unreasonable delays, that is to file something called writ of mamunus. It is basically going to a federal court and get an approval from the judge and force the USCIS to adjudicate your pending application immediately, but it will be an expensive endeavor. I really think the delay has something to do with Trump. Trump White House is purposely trying to slow down the processing and discouraging people from applying for applications of any kind. The new processing time is outrageous. There used to be just one type of processing time for CSC, and now we have processing time for field offices , and it is anywhere from  21 months to 4 years? So obviously, USCIS is aware many 751 applicants are beginning to apply for 400s while 751s are pending, so they created their own rules so they could cover their own asses by telling you "Your case is still within the normal processing time" after 2 or 3 years of waiting. This is scary. I think USCIS will face a lot of lawsuits which is typical of the Trump White House that always triggers all kinds of lawsuits against them including immigration. I hope i don't have to take that route of write of mamanus because it is very expensive, but that may be the only way to solve your immigration problems these days if you can afford it. Well, my lawyer told me to wait for another month and see what happens. I will have to renew my 551 by July. Ugh, what a mess. and how unlucky for me and many August or July 751 filers who also filed 400.       

I've been following VJ for a long time and this is my first post. I hope my timeline will help our VJ-ers. I filled N-400 while i-751 was still pending. N-400 interview 4 months after interview and decision could not be made. However, Immigration Officer proceeded i-751 and N-400 at the same time with my spouse's presence. I received 2 notifications: I-751 : New card is being produced and N-400: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled in last week. Here is my timeline

Conditional GC was granted on Feb, 2015 

Vermont Center

11/10/2016: I-751 filled

11/31/2016: Biometric done

Multiple Inquiries: Your case was still pending

Norfolk, VA 

11/20/2017: N-400 filled

12/01/2017: Biometric done

01/29/2018: Interview was scheduled

02/27/2018: Interview was done- Passed with Decision was not made. Combo I-751+ N-400 Interview (Easy, just normal conversation) . Immigration officer told me she approved I-751 + N400 but because of system glitch (common). She would not give me approval 

03/30: Infopass appointment - No decision

04/01- Letter to Congressman for I-751 outside normal processing time. Got response in few days 

04/14: Infopass - No decision

------

04/18: 3 notifications: I-751: New Card is being produced (ELIS + USCIS+ Email ) 

N-400: Post decision: submitted for quality review. When it was done, the oath will be scheduled (email) 

USCIS online account: N-400: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled- Elis account showed: Approved Application

Edited by hope001

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

@hope001,

I'm in the same situation, except my two cases are still stuck in limbo at my local field office, even with congressman's involvement (I'll try again once my ROC is outside normal processing time).

Fingers crossed my case also moves forward just like yours did. Congratulations!

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Per last Info pass appointment, my I-751 case was transferred to local office in March 10. You will get notification soon. It just takes time and totally possible if you apply N-400 while i-751 is pending. It will definitely speed up your case. I would say infopass appointment would help if you ask them that you want to have an inquiry to your IO 

Edited by hope001

Timeline
16 minutes ago, hope001 said:

Per last Info pass appointment, my I-751 case was transferred to local office in March 10. You will get notification soon. It just takes time and totally possible if you apply N-400 while i-751 is pending. It will definitely speed up your case. I would say infopass appointment would help if you ask them that you want to have an inquiry to your IO 

I went already (twice!). Just like you, both my I-751 and N-400 were processed on the same day on March 12 (friendly conversation, and I left the building with a "recommended for approval" letter).

When I went back to ask why it was taking this long, they mentioned an IT issue that prevents them from approving my I-751, therefore blocking the approval of the N-400. It's frustrating, because I know that's BS, however, there's not much that I can do other than wait (since I have also already been in touch with my congressman). 

Your post gives me hope... Who knows! I'll be traveling next month for several weeks, so it's either now or when I get back. Either way I'm not really holding my breath!

Again, congrats!

Edited by Nikkosan

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Timeline
11 hours ago, hope001 said:

Thanks. You will get an approval soon. Keep me update 

Thank you for the positive thoughts, they are VERY much appreciated and needed.

I'm thankful for the moral support and updates that VJ provides us with through our interaction.

Let us know once you receive the physical letter with the oath ceremony date.

17 hours ago, Nikkosan said:

I went already (twice!). Just like you, both my I-751 and N-400 were processed on the same day on March 12 (friendly conversation, and I left the building with a "recommended for approval" letter).

When I went back to ask why it was taking this long, they mentioned an IT issue that prevents them from approving my I-751, therefore blocking the approval of the N-400. It's frustrating, because I know that's BS, however, there's not much that I can do other than wait (since I have also already been in touch with my congressman). 

Your post gives me hope... Who knows! I'll be traveling next month for several weeks, so it's either now or when I get back. Either way I'm not really holding my breath!

Again, congrats!

The “IT issue” from what im gathering seems to be the file not being transferred to the local office and is still at the center waiting its turn for approval. If the file is not requested by the local office than you will have to wait its “normal” processing turn at the center

Timeline
1 minute ago, ApplyingforN400 said:

The “IT issue” from what im gathering seems to be the file not being transferred to the local office and is still at the center waiting its turn for approval. If the file is not requested by the local office than you will have to wait its “normal” processing turn at the center

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case as I did see my file in front of me at the interview, AND, I received a letter from the local field office when I inquired about being out of processing time according to the "glitch" update (so basically while everyone who also inquired received a letter from CSC, mine came from the local FO).

Also, I asked both the IO and his supervisor about this IT issue, and they both explained that it was a software problem not allowing them to electronically approve my I-751. I didn't believe them then, and I don't believe them now, but unfortunately, based on USCIS processing times, my I-751 is still within the limits, so I can't really do much more than what I did already (case inquiry with: Infopass, website, congressman).

I'm trying to simply focus on the fact that I've already had my N-400 interview, and that I was indeed recommended for approval. So basically I'm THIS close to wrapping things up (which is probably why I'm getting so impatient!).

3 minutes ago, Nikkosan said:

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case as I did see my file in front of me at the interview, AND, I received a letter from the local field office when I inquired about being out of processing time according to the "glitch" update (so basically while everyone who also inquired received a letter from CSC, mine came from the local FO).

Also, I asked both the IO and his supervisor about this IT issue, and they both explained that it was a software problem not allowing them to electronically approve my I-751. I didn't believe them then, and I don't believe them now, but unfortunately, based on USCIS processing times, my I-751 is still within the limits, so I can't really do much more than what I did already (case inquiry with: Infopass, website, congressman).

I'm trying to simply focus on the fact that I've already had my N-400 interview, and that I was indeed recommended for approval. So basically I'm THIS close to wrapping things up (which is probably why I'm getting so impatient!).

To be honest, some IOs and supervisors work like robots and still stuck in their training from the 90s, I would not be surprised if one thought the regular procedure after interview is to send I751 back to CSC since “thats where these get approved”. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ApplyingforN400 said:

To be honest, some IOs and supervisors work like robots and still stuck in their training from the 90s, I would not be surprised if one thought the regular procedure after interview is to send I751 back to CSC since “thats where these get approved”. 

Laaaaawd have merrrrcy! 

Quick Question - If I-751 is pending and applying N-400, I know like we need to keep maintain joint docs for N-400 interview date as they may do both Interviews together for I-751 and N-400, but just wondering if we need to send any supporting documents with N-400 application? and on the date of N-400 interview, US Citizen spouse should appear? 

Edited by BlueBuy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We had a joint I751 interview prior to my wife’s N400 interview. A week later we received a notice that the I751 was transferred to the NBC in Missouri (the N400 status says oath ceremony to be scheduled).  Not sure why the I751 was sent to NBC as I didn’t think they processed ROCs, but I still haven’t found out if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.