kaveh

I-130 and I-485 for parent while in removal proceeding

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I've become a US citizen recently through marriage and now I'd like to file an I-130 for my mother, though it's a bit complicated and I'm confused regarding of the steps I need to take.

My mother applied for asylum about three years ago, but her case got rejected and she received a notice for removal proceeding. Right now she's waiting for her court date and the removal hearing, which is in few months. Her lawyer told her if I file I-130 and I-485 at the same time, we can change her status and terminate the removal proceeding.

I searched a bit and based on what I've found so far, it seems people in (almost) similar situations got their I-485 rejected and had to wait for the court and then apply again. I say almost, because every case I read about was through marriage and not for parents, which in my case is for my mother.

I wonder if anyone has any experience or knowledge of such situation. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help and tell me whether I can file both applications at the same time or I should wait.

Also, is there any action I can take to terminate the removal hearing early?

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Transborderwife said:

i would consult a good immigration lawyer.

That's the problem. How do you know which one is good, while in most cases people say their lawyer actually told them to file concurrently and then figuring they shouldn't have? The same thing my (good) lawyer has advised to do.

That's why I'm looking for people's experience rather than relying on the so-called professional lawyers.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, kaveh said:

That's the problem. How do you know which one is good, while in most cases people say their lawyer actually told them to file concurrently and then figuring they shouldn't have? The same thing my (good) lawyer has advised to do.

That's why I'm looking for people's experience rather than relying on the so-called professional lawyers.

Look at ratings on reliable websites with testimonials from satisfied clients 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.