Luyen

Beneficiary passport expiring

40 posts in this topic

Yesterday my K-1 visa petition just got approved after almost 5 months :) but now we are facing a new minor (hopefully) crisis. My fiancé, who lives in Philippines and wishes to come over to United States, had a passport that is about to expire in December. When she tried to apply for a renewal in her home city, Cebu City, she was told that the waiting time is about 3 months which means her passport would expire by the time her renewal appointment would happen. If she renews it on time, waiting time for a new passport is about 2-3 weeks. Otherwise it could take even half a year if passport is expired (from my understanding). Is there any way to expedite the passport renewal process so that she gets an appointment while her passport is still valid?

Also, I am told that a passport is necessary to present for her medical and she will need it for the interview. If she has an interview and medical with her soon-to-be-expired passport, and she enters United States with a new renewed passport, how does that work? Will she need to present both the expired passport that was used during the medical and the interview as well as her current non-expired (renewed) passport? Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

pa·tient  - able to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.

2 hours ago, Luyen said:

Yesterday my K-1 visa petition just got approved after almost 5 months :) but now we are facing a new minor (hopefully) crisis. My fiancé, who lives in Philippines and wishes to come over to United States, had a passport that is about to expire in December. When she tried to apply for a renewal in her home city, Cebu City, she was told that the waiting time is about 3 months which means her passport would expire by the time her renewal appointment would happen. If she renews it on time, waiting time for a new passport is about 2-3 weeks. Otherwise it could take even half a year if passport is expired (from my understanding). Is there any way to expedite the passport renewal process so that she gets an appointment while her passport is still valid?

Also, I am told that a passport is necessary to present for her medical and she will need it for the interview. If she has an interview and medical with her soon-to-be-expired passport, and she enters United States with a new renewed passport, how does that work? Will she need to present both the expired passport that was used during the medical and the interview as well as her current non-expired (renewed) passport? Thank you in advance for any help with this.

When are you guys planning on moving to the USA? If it is within the next couple months then just do ROM and Passport Renewal here in the USA. What is the problem with that?

Once she is here we would be golden :) however my fear is this:

She tries to renew her Philippines passport but due to waiting time it cannot be done until her current Philippines passport is already expired.

Once the passport is expired she cannot use it during interview or medical.

If she uses her almost expired Philippines passport for interview and medical, her passport could still soon expire and she will need a renewal one to actually travel anywhere.  If this passport expires before renewal appointment it will take 6 months to get a new one by which time K-1 visa would have already expired.

we are trying to find a way to renew her Philippines passport ASAP so that he above won't happen but currently they are telling her that waiting time to renew her Philippines passport is over 3 months, by which time her current passport will expire and we will have to face a certain undesired situation.

My question is, how can we expedite her Philippines passport renewal? Again, thank you for any helpful response :)

29 minutes ago, Luyen said:

She tries to renew her Philippines passport but due to waiting time it cannot be done until her current Philippines passport is already expired.

If she uses her almost expired Philippines passport for interview and medical, her passport could still soon expire and she will need a renewal one to actually travel anywhere.  If this passport expires before renewal appointment it will take 6 months to get a new one by which time K-1 visa would have already expired.

we are trying to find a way to renew her Philippines passport ASAP so that he above won't happen but currently they are telling her that waiting time to renew her Philippines passport is over 3 months, by which time her current passport will expire and we will have to face a certain undesired situation.

My question is, how can we expedite her Philippines passport renewal? Again, thank you for any helpful response :)

I am trying to help you but your not understanding what I am saying. So your case is approved and headed to USEM right, do you have your MNL# yet, what is the time frame you are looking to leave the Philippines?

You can easily do the medical, visa interview, and CFO by early/mid october if you stay on the ball. Then fly here to the USA BEFORE her passport expires. What is so hard to understand about that?

56 minutes ago, Luyen said:

The only thing that can stop you or hinder you guys now is if she has to undergo TB screening/treatment, and if she doesn't have everything she needs at the interview. 

Paying under the table, lol, hey if that's what it takes so be it. I was under the impression that she would need a valid passport for at least 6 month in advance before even getting a visa but I could be wrong. I had no idea things moved this fast after approval :o I do not have the MNL# yet since we barely got the acceptance letter and now the case is going to the NVC, then it will head to embassy in Manila.   As sad as it is, that whole paying under the table might be a reasonable route; I just want her to have a piece of mind that she will be okay with the renewal and can continue with less stress.  Thank you everyone for the responses, I'll let you know what happens after she goes to talk to some people today :) 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Luyen said:

Paying under the table, lol, hey if that's what it takes so be it. I was under the impression that she would need a valid passport for at least 6 month in advance before even getting a visa but I could be wrong. I had no idea things moved this fast after approval :o I do not have the MNL# yet since we barely got the acceptance letter and now the case is going to the NVC, then it will head to embassy in Manila.   As sad as it is, that whole paying under the table might be a reasonable route; I just want her to have a piece of mind that she will be okay with the renewal and can continue with less stress.  Thank you everyone for the responses, I'll let you know what happens after she goes to talk to some people today :) 

True one of req is passport valid for 6 months aside from she cant leave the country if her passport is less than 6or 8 months

a friend of mine had to pay 3k pesos so she can get the earliest spot in passport renewal if not she needs to wait for 3 months 

another thing processing in manila is really fast since they dont need to wait for packet 3 and 4 

a screenshot of case number stating ready is enough to set med and interview so she has to move now 

goodluck

1 hour ago, Luyen said:

It can move as fast or slow as you want if you can do it. Where people make the mistake in the Philippines  is waiting for the 3rd letter that may or may not come. Once you have the MnL# you are good to go and can start moving forward. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Luyen said:

The passport will need 6 months of validity at the time of travel for issuance of the visa.

From the embassy instructions letter: 

"PASSPORT. Must be valid for at least six (6) months. You may set a passport appointment at www.passport.com.ph or by calling (02) 737-1000. The Department of Foreign Affairs website is http://www.dfa.gov.ph."

https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2016/08/K1-and-K2-Applicant-Interview-Preparation-Instructions-08112016-English-336KB.pdf

More helpful info http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Passport renewals are by appointment only at DFA, some offices are booked for well over 2 months in advance, your fiancee may have to check a few different centers (easily done with the online booking system) before finding a location that is not booked too far out.

Passport renewal is fairly quick now a days, expedited (P1250) is roughly 7 days and the normal processing is about 2 weeks.  No need for "under the tables payments".  My asawa completed her passport renewal on the 21st of Sept, paid for expedited and her passport will be ready on the 2nd of March.   (nope DFA did not close because of Duterte's non-working day for the government .. thankfully)

https://www.passport.gov.ph/

https://www.passport.gov.ph/requirements/passport-renewal

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 hours ago, Luyen said:

As noted in my earlier post "sweetening the pot" truly isn't necessary.   Also you are correct regarding the 6 months of validity for the passport BEFORE the visa is issued.

Just got your NOA2 approval, then you have roughly a month before your case file will reach USEM.  Get hustling!!  DFA is a very busy place, but efficient.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

It can move as fast or slow as you want if you can do it. Where people make the mistake in the Philippines  is waiting for the 3rd letter that may or may not come. Once you have the MnL# you are good to go and can start moving forward. 

Isn't that the truth about going fast or slow, I think that one couple is going for a record of under a month.  Only one other completed things that quickly and they did it when SLEC still sent the med file to USEM.  :lol: 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.