11 posts in this topic

My fiance is a Syrian refugee.  He's in Greece now but hopefully be moving to another European country soon. I feel like I am on an uphill battle...if you can help me with information on any of these questions I'd be eternally grateful.

1) Can anyone provide me with the steps I would need to take to get his paperwork transferred?  

2) Also, we have not been able to file for an interview because he has no passport - is there any way around this?

3)  How do we get a police clearance from Greece?  How about Syria?  Can you even get a police clearance from Syria?

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If he doesn't have a passport, does he a have a travel document that states his status as a refugee? Either way, I think as the poster above said, he will need a passport as the visa is typically issued inside of it. 

When did you file the K1 paperwork? 

If he lived in Syria as an adult recently, they will require police clearance. It looks like it's often not available to Syrians living outside of Syria, so I would maybe try contacting the Syrian embassy or consulate in whatever country he is living in and ask for instructions. I found this by looking on this site (under the Police, Court, Prison Records tab): https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/SY.html

Police records for Greece (also see Police, Court, Prison Records tab): https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/GR.html

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you met?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Frage said:

Did you already file something? If yes, what did you file and with which supporting documents?

He absolutely needs a passport. There is no way around it.

Does he have any crime records?

I have filed the initial application and we were approved... NOA -1 and NOA - 2.  We have pictures and airline stubs as proof of the four times I've been to Greece to visit him.

He doesn't have a criminal record.
He will eventually get a passport from the country the UN sends him to....

5 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

If he doesn't have a passport, does he a have a travel document that states his status as a refugee? Either way, I think as the poster above said, he will need a passport as the visa is typically issued inside of it. 

When did you file the K1 paperwork? 

If he lived in Syria as an adult recently, they will require police clearance. It looks like it's often not available to Syrians living outside of Syria, so I would maybe try contacting the Syrian embassy or consulate in whatever country he is living in and ask for instructions. I found this by looking on this site (under the Police, Court, Prison Records tab): https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/SY.html

Police records for Greece (also see Police, Court, Prison Records tab): https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/GR.html

He'll hopefully be getting a passport soon.  He has documentation saying he's a refugee...but they won't accept that as a reason to issue a passport (at least they wouldn't in Greece).  We filed the K1 back in February.  We received his NVC case number in June.  Currently we are having to wait on hold since he doesn't have a passport.  That's where we are at!

I need to get a police clearance from Syria for him - which is proving difficult....I've looked at both websites you've listed and Greece has sent out a police report but we don't know what to do for the Syria PC!  If you've got any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it otherwise thanks so much for your help.

Timeline

I thought the UN issued something? But a Passport is issued by the Country you are a Citizen of.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
38 minutes ago, ags247 said:

No - they won't issue him anything because he's going through their relocation process.  He'll get his passport in the country that he ends up in.

If he is relocated to the US that would be a win win.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/6/2017 at 11:00 PM, ags247 said:

My fiance is a Syrian refugee.  He's in Greece now but hopefully be moving to another European country soon. I feel like I am on an uphill battle...if you can help me with information on any of these questions I'd be eternally grateful.

1) Can anyone provide me with the steps I would need to take to get his paperwork transferred?  

2) Also, we have not been able to file for an interview because he has no passport - is there any way around this?

3)  How do we get a police clearance from Greece?  How about Syria?  Can you even get a police clearance from Syria?

Thank you in advance!

I did my best to get a.police clearance from syria through syrian consulate here in philippines but after paying and waiting for 4 months no police clearance arrived instead syrian consul gived me this police certificate like a proof that i did my best to get but i think its impossible for them to get a PC from syria for us.so i sent this Police certificate to US Embassy here in manila.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.