Tee and Megan

Studying on an F-1, unpaid Internship is okay?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm asking a question for a close friend of mine who is studying in the U.S. on an F-1 Visa.  She is hoping to begin an unpaid Internship next Fall, but is unsure if the F-1 visa allows for this?  Does anyone know? 

Apologies if this question has already been asked. I couldn't find the answer elsewhere on VJ.  

Thank you all! 

Megan

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably not, if it is a position this is not normally paid may pass muster.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 9/5/2017 at 8:19 PM, CEE53147 said:

It depends. This is a question for the university's DSO in the international students office. She should already know these people who are there to assist international students on problems and being successful in their studies.

I agree. She cannot do anything without asking her international advisor.

I think she cannot do the internship even if it is unpaid because if this is a serious company, she will still have to go through HR for liability issues, and they could ask her to do an i-9. Basically, not getting paid does not mean she is not an employee. 

Moreover, for an F-1 you have to be a full-time student and there are restrictions to the amount of hours you can work. You can work in campus without any paperwork. But to work off-campus she would have to get CPT (which is like OPT but before graduation), but the time on CPT is taken from her OPT time. So basically, it is not a good idea to take time out of OPT. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

It really depends on your univeristy and the exact type of internship/volunteer work. My university required us to talk to the international advisors before we accepted to do any kind of work, they are there to help you and they can tell you if an OPT will be necessary.

I did an unpaid internship during my F-1 but it was very unofficial, I wasn't considered an employee, I was merely shadowing people around to learn about what they were doing. There is no paper trail that indicates I was there at all. I also volunteered for marathons and some events, but I never went through any HR process for any of this.

If you get an internship in a large company, they process you like an employee and then you'd need an EAD regardless of pay.

N-400 Application for Naturalization

Day    00 - 08/31/20 - Submitted online N-400 application. ROC still pending. Requested combo interview.

Day    01 - 09/01/20 - NOA received online. Status says biometrics appt letter will be sent. (PD 08/31/20)

Day  141 - 01/20/21 - Biometrics reuse letter

Day  233 - 04/22/21 - ROC approved, no news on N-400

Day  288 - 06/18/21 - Interview scheduled

Day  332 - 07/30/21 - Successful interview. No decision yet.

Day 758  - 09/28/22 - Oath ceremony will be scheduled

Day 870 - 01/18/23 - Oath ceremony complete

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 0:33 AM, Coco8 said:

I agree. She cannot do anything without asking her international advisor.

I think she cannot do the internship even if it is unpaid because if this is a serious company, she will still have to go through HR for liability issues, and they could ask her to do an i-9. Basically, not getting paid does not mean she is not an employee. 

Moreover, for an F-1 you have to be a full-time student and there are restrictions to the amount of hours you can work. You can work in campus without any paperwork. But to work off-campus she would have to get CPT (which is like OPT but before graduation), but the time on CPT is taken from her OPT time. So basically, it is not a good idea to take time out of OPT. 

CPT is the way to go. However, CPT does not necessarily affect OPT. A friend of mine had similar opportunity and the response she got from the ISO is and I quote "Students who have completed 12 or more months of full-time CPT are ineligible for OPT.  Part-time CPT or CPT which totals less than 12 months does not affect OPT." CPT is much simpler than OPT and do not require an EAD card (I interned at a national company and I-20 with CPT is all they need). However, her school might have concerns about working on an internship while being a full time student, but that really depends on the school. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.