OHara

Marriage and AOS with B2 Visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, 

I am marrying my bf (he is a US citizen) after almost 5 months in the U.S with the B2 visa. We've just decided to spend our lives together and forever here in California. We are thinking about Sep 10th, because part of our families want to be here (our moms specially [they live overseas], even that we told them is only going to be a courthouse wedding [me and him hate parties]).

So, my i-94 is almost expiring (at the end of September; my visa though will expire only in 2022). Shall I apply for an extension? I can probably send the AOS right after our wedding, but I am a little afraid of being here in the U.S. with the i-94 expired. 

What would you recommend us, my friends?

Many thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

Don't even bother with extension. 

Your overstay is forgiven is you marry a USC. They don't even mention it on the interview. 

Plus AOS in process gives you a protected status. 

Edited by Bzlibem

Timeline

That's great. Thank you!

+ I saw this link in another post: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Can I send all this forms / and the required documents in the same package? Or shall I send in parts? 

Edited by OHara

Timeline

The courthouse told us the certified copy of the marriage certificate is only going to be mailed in 2 months.. But I think I can just make a copy of the certificate we will receive on the wedding day, am I right?

I didn't see they asking for a certified one, can you guys confirm this info for me? Thank you!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
21 minutes ago, OHara said:

That's great. Thank you!

+ I saw this link in another post: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Can I send all this forms / and the required documents in the same package? Or shall I send in parts? 

Send everything in together with a cover letter.  Cover letter examples can be found in the guides or by using the search tool.

17 minutes ago, OHara said:

The courthouse told us the certified copy of the marriage certificate is only going to be mailed in 2 months.. But I think I can just make a copy of the certificate we will receive on the wedding day, am I right?

I didn't see they asking for a certified one, can you guys confirm this info for me? Thank you!!

The document you sign on your wedding day is the marriage license not the marriage certificate.  The marriage license is sent/taken to the courthouse and a certificate is issued.  We got ours same day.  Every state is different in that regard.  You must send in a copy of the marriage certificate....not marriage license.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Others have given really great advice---best of luck with your filing!  

All I would add is to make sure you send payment by using separate checks (ie. one check for each application--write the application # in the memo part to keep everything straight), instead of one huge check in total.  Paperclip each check to the top of its corresponding application.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

convenience checklist for for you:

Form I-130 Completed and signed form by Petitioner (U.S. Citizen).
Form I-130A Completed and signed by spouse beneficiary.
A personal check or Money Order amount of $535 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Two-passport style photo of U.S. Citizen with full name on the back and name on plastic bag.
Two-passport style photo of beneficiary with full name on the back and name on plastic bag.
Copy of U.S. Citizen`s Birth Certificate or Passport Biographical Page, or Naturalization Certificate.
Copy of U.S. Citizen`s Driver License or Passport Biographical Page.
Copy of Marriage Certificate.
Copy of Divorce Decree (If you are divorced previously).
Copy of beneficiary`s passport biographical page.
Copy of beneficiary`s most recent I-94.
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

Evidence Showing Bona Fide Marriage:
 ☐ Joint IRS Tax Return Transcripts (if you have it).

☐ Birth Certificate of your children (if you have any).

☐ Joint Lease or Mortgage showing joint tenancy (if you have it).

☐ Joint Bank Statements. (Checking, Saving, Credit Cards etc.).

☐ Joint Utility Bills (Or Utility Bills showing the same address for each spouse)

☐ Joint Cell Phone Bills.

☐ Joint Car title.

☐ Joint Car Insurance.

☐ Life insurance showing each other as beneficiary.

☐ Retirement accounts showing each other as beneficiary.

☐ Health, dental Insurance showing you are on one another plan.

☐ Photographs (Weddings, Trips, Family gatherings, Friends)

☐ Affidavits from your family, friends having personal knowledge of your bona fides marriage.

Form I-485 Completed and Signed by Beneficiary (Alien Applicant).
A personal check or Money Order amount of $1225 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (Including biometric fee).
Copy of foreign birth certificate for beneficiary accompanied by full-certified translation.
Copy of beneficiary`s passport Biographical page.
Copy of beneficiary`s passport nonimmigrant visa page (if you have)
Two-passport style photo of beneficiary with full name on the back and name on plastic bag.
Copy of beneficiary most recent I-94.

Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (sealed by civil surgeon)
“You do not need to send with your initial application but you need have it with you during the interview”
Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA:
 ☐ Petitioner copies of IRS federal income tax return transcripts for the last one year (Optional last 3 years).
 ☐ Copies of Petitioner`s W2`s or 1040`s forms.

☐ Copies of Petitioner`s pay stubs.
 ☐ A letter of employment verification for the petitioner.

Form I-765 Completed and Signed by Beneficiary.

*No Filing Fee is required for I-765 since it is being submitted along with I-485.

Form I-131 Completed and Signed by Beneficiary.

Good Luck!!!

Timeline
8 hours ago, tato2017 said:

convenience checklist for for you:

Form I-130 Completed and signed form by Petitioner (U.S. Citizen).
Form I-130A Completed and signed by spouse beneficiary.
A personal check or Money Order amount of $535 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Two-passport style photo of U.S. Citizen with full name on the back and name on plastic bag.
Copy of U.S. Citizen`s Birth Certificate or Passport Biographical Page, or Naturalization Certificate.
Copy of U.S. Citizen`s Driver License or Passport Biographical Page.
Copy of beneficiary`s passport biographical page.
Copy of beneficiary`s most recent I-94.

Evidence Showing Bona Fide Marriage:
 ☐ Joint IRS Tax Return Transcripts (if you have it).

☐ Birth Certificate of your children (if you have any).

☐ Joint Lease or Mortgage showing joint tenancy (if you have it).

☐ Joint Bank Statements. (Checking, Saving, Credit Cards etc.).

☐ Joint Utility Bills (Or Utility Bills showing the same address for each spouse)

☐ Joint Cell Phone Bills.

☐ Joint Car title.

☐ Joint Car Insurance.

☐ Life insurance showing each other as beneficiary.

☐ Retirement accounts showing each other as beneficiary.

☐ Health, dental Insurance showing you are on one another plan.

☐ Photographs (Weddings, Trips, Family gatherings, Friends)

☐ Affidavits from your family, friends having personal knowledge of your bona fides marriage.

Form I-485 Completed and Signed by Beneficiary (Alien Applicant).
A personal check or Money Order amount of $1225 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (Including biometric fee).
Copy of foreign birth certificate for beneficiary accompanied by full-certified translation.
Copy of beneficiary`s passport nonimmigrant visa page (if you have)

Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (sealed by civil surgeon)
“You do not need to send with your initial application but you need have it with you during the interview”
Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA:
 ☐ Petitioner copies of IRS federal income tax return transcripts for the last one year (Optional last 3 years).
 ☐ Copies of Petitioner`s W2`s or 1040`s forms.

☐ Copies of Petitioner`s pay stubs.
 ☐ A letter of employment verification for the petitioner.

Form I-765 Completed and Signed by Beneficiary.

*No Filing Fee is required for I-765 since it is being submitted along with I-485.

Form I-131 Completed and Signed by Beneficiary.

Good Luck!!!

Thank you so much for this!

Timeline

Hey friends, 

I am filling the forms and I have another question:

Shall I already put our U.S. address (my boyfriends' apt) as my current address in all the forms (i-130, G-325, I-485, .....)? (since I am applying to live here, I am not sure if it's OK to consider this stay [5 months] being my current address).

Thank you!!

Timeline
Just now, Orangesapples said:

Are you in LA? If so, get married in Orange County. It's very easy and you will get your certificate two weeks after the ceremony, not two months. I think there are three locations where you can get married in OC. The Santa Ana courthouse is really nice.  

Yes, I am. Great! Thank you, I am going to look for Santa Ana courthouse. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, OHara said:

Hey friends, 

I am filling the forms and I have another question:

Shall I already put our U.S. address (my boyfriends' apt) as my current address in all the forms (i-130, G-325, I-485, .....)? (since I am applying to live here, I am not sure if it's OK to consider this stay [5 months] being my current address).

Thank you!!

You will be remaining in the US while your AOS application is filed, and residing at that address during your pending application, so yes.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

24 minutes ago, OHara said:

Yes, I am. Great! Thank you, I am going to look for Santa Ana courthouse. 

Just in case you didn't know, the license will be returned to the county you got your license from, not the county where the ceremony is. So apply for a license in Orange County. It's extremely easy, just book an appointment online and the license issuance and the ceremony will be on the same day. 

Timeline

Good luck with your filing.

I would strongly suggest you begin gathering documentation from now pertaining to your relationship and throughout your marriage.  If you need certified copies of anything from your home country (ie. criminal records, court documents, etc.) get on applying for those things NOW because it can take a couple of months to reach you.  Whatever you order certified, get at least 3 copies of each because you will need to submit one at every single stage of your immigration process up to naturalization (if you wish), even though USCIS will already have one on file from your initial application.

Photos together before and after your marriage, pictures with each others families, cards you receive addressed to the both of you congratulating you on your marriage (which shows that others know your relationship is bonafide, too), utility bills and joint accounts in both of your names, lease in both of your names, health insurance covering the both of you, joint tax filing, joint car insurance, invoices with both of your names on them for large purchases together (furniture, carpeting, etc.) itineraries of travel together, all sorts of things to be used as evidence of a bonafide marriage by the time your AOS interview rolls around.

Get an accordion file folder box and stick everything in it.

Basically...never throw anything out again for the rest of your life :P 

Timeline

Oh---and keep at least 1 copy of any formal wedding announcement you mail out to people.  My IO actually asked to see that during my AOS interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.