12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So my fiance moved here 3 months ago and we first had a lot of issues. Living together is very hard and we both have made many mistakes. But in all we love each other. So it took us a while to finally get married. Like 5 days before the 90 days was up. Now I am finally looking at the aos stuff and my mind is just blown. There is so much stuff and I wish we would have taken care of things sooner, but the visa stuff took the back burner while we worked things out. 

So now that we are  ready to get things in order.. He has to wait for his aed to get his social security card? We were planning on doing this several times but it never worked out because I work during the day. Now that I have a few days off ivr read that it's pointless because they won't give it. Correct? 

He has no records of his vaccines so now we have to see a civil surgeon? Only problem is I can't find one. They have a website listed of them but when I call none of them know what I'm walking about. I even live near Chicago so this is frustrating. 

I am also starting at a new job next week. Will I not be aloud to put him on my insurance without a social security card? 

Thanks for any info 

Filed: Timeline

It's too late to try to get his SSN now have to wait for the EAD card, that is why it's recommended to get the SSN after 2 weeks upon arrival to US.

I'll assume your spouse does not have a copy of the DS3025 when he had his medical done oversea? Does he know if his immunization are up to date prior to coming to the US? If so, I would personally just send the AOS without the immunization and take the chance of a possible RFE. Maybe someone in the Chicago area can recommend a civil surgeon if you need the I-693 completed, just don't get convinced in redoing the whole medical.

You need to talk to your HR folks about the SSN. In general you do not need the SSN to add your spouse, but they will ask that you provide the number once he gets it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Amiss5572 said:

So my fiance moved here 3 months ago and we first had a lot of issues. Living together is very hard and we both have made many mistakes. But in all we love each other. So it took us a while to finally get married. Like 5 days before the 90 days was up. Now I am finally looking at the aos stuff and my mind is just blown. There is so much stuff and I wish we would have taken care of things sooner, but the visa stuff took the back burner while we worked things out. 

So now that we are  ready to get things in order.. He has to wait for his aed to get his social security card? We were planning on doing this several times but it never worked out because I work during the day. Now that I have a few days off ivr read that it's pointless because they won't give it. Correct? 

He has no records of his vaccines so now we have to see a civil surgeon? Only problem is I can't find one. They have a website listed of them but when I call none of them know what I'm walking about. I even live near Chicago so this is frustrating. 

I am also starting at a new job next week. Will I not be aloud to put him on my insurance without a social security card? 

Thanks for any info 

I would suggest you take a deep breath and start from the scratch. Almost all the information you need are here on VJ, and as a family, we are here to help. Just ask a specific questions and people with the experience will answer your questions. I know it seems like a big task, but if you keep chipping at it a little by little, you will see its not that difficult. All marriages and relationships have issues especially living together, surviving it is what makes you strong.

My advice, is that the form one after the other.

Search under guide here, you will see links on how to fill out the forms.

It's all in the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

NOTE: The G-325As are no longer needed.

He cannot work until he has his EAD. If he doesn't have an SSN yet, he will need to wait until the EAD arrives as well. You can get an SSN on a K-1, but you need to have at least 14 days of legal stay still, so you missed that opportunity.

Most embassies, and I think UK is included here, provide the vaccinations info in the packet handed to CBP at POE if you had the vaccinations during your K-1 medical. You should have requested a copy of the vaccinations sheet just in case, but that's in the past too. I would say file for AOS without it....if they need it, you'll need to seek out a civil surgeon to complete the worksheet at that time (and hopefully you can find one who will do so without requiring a new medical...).

You can add somebody to your insurance without an SSN...albeit you may have to go back and forth with the insurer or HR a couple times to get it through (many don't know that you can get it without an SSN). Most plans permit adding somebody after a qualifying life-changing event like marriage.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

This is why it is encouraged to learn EVERY step of immigration process from beginning (filing the petition) to end (citizenship) before starting the process. It is only a few hours of reading. This will reduce being blindsided.

You can add him to your insurance as marriage is a life changing event. However, you should contact your insurance provider on how much time you have. Some only give you a 30 day window after you marry to add the spouse on the insurance.

Here are links to the process. Again, encourage you to learn everything he will have to go through and timelines. He still has other things like removal of conditions and naturalization to go through down the road. Also, be sure he applies for EAD/AP when applying for AOS.

AOShttp://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

ROC:http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Amiss5572 said:

That's life, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago; the second best time is today! So take a deep breath and everything will be OK. Focus on moving forward, instead of wasting energy on what can't be changed. 

20 minutes ago, Amiss5572 said:

This is correct. He must wait for his EAD, but this isn't an impossible issue to overcome. It will just delay you putting him on your bank account.

21 minutes ago, Amiss5572 said:

My wife's civil surgeon gave her a copy of her vaccines (it says DS-3025 on it). Without that, just wait for them to give an RFE for it. Just calmly try to find a civil surgeon in your free time but don't schedule anything until you get the RFE. You will have at least a few months to find one.

23 minutes ago, Amiss5572 said:

Thanks for any info 

When I added my wife to my insurance, they didn't mind that she didn't have her SSN yet. They actually said, if you don't have a SSN just enter 000-00-0000, each HR will have their own policy on how to handle this. You will need to talk to your new HR about this during orientation. You are not the first person to encounter this, it is relatively common. 

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, Amiss5572 said:

Thanks for any info 

First, be proud that you worked things trough. Moving to another country, living together with someone for the first time, being engaged and getting married is all very stressful and can lead to many misunderstandings, but have patience, talk things through and keep working on your relationship.

Second, like people already said, take some time and read all the guides for adjustment of status (AOS) and removal of conditions (ROC). Everything you need is on this website. But also check the uscis website to make sure you have the most up to date forms.

Is this the list of civil surgeons you tried calling? https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor Strange they don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps try in a bigger city nearby.

Good luck! You'll be fine. Keep working on your relationship and take it one step at a time.

Timeline
6 hours ago, geowrian said:

It's all in the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

NOTE: The G-325As are no longer needed.

He cannot work until he has his EAD. If he doesn't have an SSN yet, he will need to wait until the EAD arrives as well. You can get an SSN on a K-1, but you need to have at least 14 days of legal stay still, so you missed that opportunity.

Most embassies, and I think UK is included here, provide the vaccinations info in the packet handed to CBP at POE if you had the vaccinations during your K-1 medical. You should have requested a copy of the vaccinations sheet just in case, but that's in the past too. I would say file for AOS without it....if they need it, you'll need to seek out a civil surgeon to complete the worksheet at that time (and hopefully you can find one who will do so without requiring a new medical...).

You can add somebody to your insurance without an SSN...albeit you may have to go back and forth with the insurer or HR a couple times to get it through (many don't know that you can get it without an SSN). Most plans permit adding somebody after a qualifying life-changing event like marriage.

So file the aos without the immunizations??? I was going to take him to Walgreens tomorrow to at least get them done and over with. So let's say I do file and we get an rfe. Won't that prolong the process? Or could the ead get approved even with the rfe? Cuz that would be nice to get that done with so he could work. 

I know it might seem to everyone that I don't know enough about the process. I spent probably an entire month's of time reading up on this stuff. But that was almost a year ago when we started. Then when he came I just focused on us and making things work. So it just kind of was put on the back burner. Thanks for all the input and help. 

4 hours ago, mmmp said:

First, be proud that you worked things trough. Moving to another country, living together with someone for the first time, being engaged and getting married is all very stressful and can lead to many misunderstandings, but have patience, talk things through and keep working on your relationship.

Second, like people already said, take some time and read all the guides for adjustment of status (AOS) and removal of conditions (ROC). Everything you need is on this website. But also check the uscis website to make sure you have the most up to date forms.

Is this the list of civil surgeons you tried calling? https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor Strange they don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps try in a bigger city nearby.

Good luck! You'll be fine. Keep working on your relationship and take it one step at a time.

Yes I called four doctors offices form this list and they all had no idea what I was talking about. I even would say the doctors name and that they are listed as a civil surgeon. They said, no they don't do that here. Just strange I thought. 

I always thought this would be easy because I'm an OR nurse. But it's not because none of the doctors I work with are listed as one. 

Edited by Amiss5572
Addition

6 minutes ago, Amiss5572 said:

So file the aos without the immunizations??? I was going to take him to Walgreens tomorrow to at least get them done and over with. So let's say I do file and we get an rfe. Won't that prolong the process? Or could the ead get approved even with the rfe? Cuz that would be nice to get that done with so he could work.

That's not exactly what I said. I said if you already completed all the immunizations with the medical obtained for the K-1 visa, then the vaccination information is typically included in the sealed envelope you presented at POE. If you did NOT complete the immunizations, then you will need to do so and provide the vaccination worksheet for AOS.

If you get an RFE, it may delay your process.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
15 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

This is why it is encouraged to learn EVERY step of immigration process from beginning (filing the petition) to end (citizenship) before starting the process. It is only a few hours of reading. This will reduce being blindsided.

I second this. I haven't yet understood why people want to make this process even harder than it already is by not reading up on and preparing for the next step. :mellow:

OP; Your fiancé doesn't need to go to a civil surgeon, he just needs the DS-3025 he received at his medical, I assume he saved it? 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

11 hours ago, Amiss5572 said:

I know it might seem to everyone that I don't know enough about the process. I spent probably an entire month's of time reading up on this stuff. But that was almost a year ago when we started. Then when he came I just focused on us and making things work. So it just kind of was put on the back burner. Thanks for all the input and help. 

Yes I called four doctors offices form this list and they all had no idea what I was talking about. I even would say the doctors name and that they are listed as a civil surgeon. They said, no they don't do that here. Just strange I thought. 

I always thought this would be easy because I'm an OR nurse. But it's not because none of the doctors I work with are listed as one. 

Did he have all of his immunizations for his medical in London? He will have been given a copy of the sheet by Knightsbridge and you just include a copy of that with your paperwork, if he's lost it you can try e-mailing Knightsbridge and see if they'll give him a copy :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline
On 8/4/2017 at 4:50 AM, Scandi said:

I second this. I haven't yet understood why people want to make this process even harder than it already is by not reading up on and preparing for the next step. :mellow:

OP; Your fiancé doesn't need to go to a civil surgeon, he just needs the DS-3025 he received at his medical, I assume he saved it? 

It's not that I havnt  read up on things. Things got a little Rocky, like I've said and we put the visa on the back burner, putting our relationship first. Obviously no relationship, no visa. My fiance is pretty against immunizations. To be honest I've taken this process way more serious and expressed to him to get them before he came. Of course he didn't and said hed get them here. Now it's a huge pain. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.