tiurzm

documents for spouse visa IR1/CR1

15 posts in this topic

Hai everyonee,

I am and my fiance decided to not go with fiance visa K1, so we will get married on December this year and go with spouse visa. I want to help him to prepare all of the documents of spouse visa. But I am confused. Are they just form I130, copy of passport, marriage certificate and one of passport photo style of us? since G235a is not required anymore. And how is the procces of spouse visa?

please your advice,

thank you everyone :)

3 hours ago, tiurzm said:

Hai everyonee,

I am and my fiance decided to not go with fiance visa K1, so we will get married on December this year and go with spouse visa. I want to help him to prepare all of the documents of spouse visa. But I am confused. Are they just form I130, copy of passport, marriage certificate and one of passport photo style of us? since G235a is not required anymore. And how is the procces of spouse visa?

please your advice,

thank you everyone :)

Forms

1. I-130
  2. I-130A (Instead of  G-325a, they have now I-130A)
  3. G-1145

Link: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130 . 

For Supporting documents, you  can check "Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist " from the bellow link

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Edited by mrahman14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Read through the instructions for the I-130 (https://www.uscis.gov/i-130), the guide here (http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1) is helpful but it is a little out of date since the form was updated earlier this year. The biggest change in the process was that the G-325A's are no longer used, and an I-130A must now be completed to accompany the I-130.

Mostly you will just need to help make sure your SO has the correct information to fill in the forms (I-130 and I-130A). They used to require two identical color passport-style photos of you (taken within 30 days of when you file); however, the new instructions seem to suggest that this isn't required if you are not in the US, but if you can I would suggest including them to be safe. The guide also says that a birth certificate of the intending immigrant is no longer required; however, several of us have recently gotten RFE's from USCIS specifically asking for this. Therefore, I would recommend that you also provide a copy of your birth certificate if you can (remember to have it translated if necessary), even if you don't include it with the I-130 you will need a copy (with translation) later on in the process).

Here is a list of the documents that are required or that you guys should think about including (text in bold is stuff that you can probably help the most with):

1. G-1145 - this is optional, but it is good to include so that they will notify you when they receive the packet
  2. Personal check or money order for the fee payment
  3. Cover letter describing what is being petitioned for and the documents being provided - optional but recommended
  4. I-130
  5. Citizenship/permanent residency evidence for your spouse
  6. Copy of your birth certificate (with translation if not in English) - as mentioned above this is not listed as a requirement, but several of us have recently received requests for this for our cases and I would recommend including it
  7. Copy of your marriage certificate (with translation if not in English)
  8. 2 passport-style photos of the petitioner (the US citizen or permanent resident) - see instructions for how to label, etc.
  9. 2 passport-style photos of the beneficiary (the intending immigrant) - see instructions for how to label, etc.; seems to be optional if you are not in the US, but if you can it would be good to include (possibly send your spouse a digital file and they can print it out themselves)
  10. I-130A
  11. Evidence of a bonafide marriage - both the online guide and I-130 instructions provide lost of examples of potential evidence; since you are not in the US you may not be able to produce many of them but try to provide what you can, such as airline tickets and other evidence of travel together, photographs are fine to include but are not considered to be strong evidence (when including pictures, if possible, try to include pictures of both of you with friends and family of both of you)

Also, I have assumed that neither of you have been married previously. If either of you have then you also need to provide evidence of divorce or death of the prior spouse(s).

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello my friend, 

I will spare you the details as our fellow VJ'rs have indeed answered your question. 

I would just like to add that when you file the I-130, there is not a whole lot of documentation that you need to provide. It literally is what you see on the USCIS website  and what has already been mentioned in this thread. 

Now the core thing about the I-130 is proving that you are legitimately married. That is where many people get RFE's.  While you may very well be legitimately married, the USCIS deals with massive marriage fraud issues hence their intense scrutiny. 

Secondly, once your I-130 is approved it will go to the NVC. This is a bit more involved in terms of paperwork. Here, the I-864 is crucial (amongst other documentation). This form is also  known as the Affidavit Of Support (AOS). The reason why I am mentioning this is because you are being proactive in terms of preparing for the immigration process and in addition to preparing for the I-130 documentation, your time will be well spent in preparing fir the NVC stage as well. 

Be prepared to pay the applicable fees to the  NVC (which is separate from the fee paid to the USCIS). 

I will post some more details in this thread that will help you with the I-130, I just need to retrieve it when I get home. 

Edited by aghaaz0719

Timeline

I'm back !

Here are 2 threads that I posted to a while back and pretty much have everything I wanted to mention

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/605255-filing-i-130-for-spouse-do-i-need-a-marriage-certificate/

and

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/604872-proof-of-bona-fide-marriage-question/

Edited by aghaaz0719

Thank you everyone for your advice @mrahman14 @EG&XY @aghaaz0719 :)

so @aghaaz0719 once my I-130 is approved, i must fill out form I-846? but i have searched about that form. The expire date of I-846 is 07-31-2017. is there any new form of that? 

and after form I-846, do i must fill out any anothers forms? 

Thank you everyone :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The petitioner (US citizen or legal permanent resident) is responsible for completing the I-864. It is not unusual for the forms to still be in use after the expiration date on them expires. You will just have to check the form version when it comes time to submit it to make sure that you fill out the correct one. For now you can use that one as a guide, but you won't be submitting that form for quite a while.

You will eventually need to complete the DS-260, which is the actual visa application. You won't be able to find an actual form since it is an electronic form that you fill out in CEAC (the online system that the NVC uses). You can take a look at this example (https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf), but it is likely a little bit out of date.

For now just focus on familiarizing yourself with all of the steps and procedures. I wouldn't get hung up on the exact version of the I-864, DS-260, etc. The petitioner will have to first file the I-130 and supporting document. Then it will take ~6 months (or more) for the petition to be approved. Then the case will go to the NVC, you will spend a couple of months paying fees and submitting the DS-260, i-864, and other supporting documents. Then you will finally get an interview scheduled.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline
8 minutes ago, tiurzm said:

so @aghaaz0719 once my I-130 is approved, i must fill out form I-846? but i have searched about that form. The expire date of I-846 is 07-31-2017. is there any new form of that? 

This website will go over this. I ha e a checklist for the NVC and I will post it as soon as I remove sensitive info from it

Timeline

Here is a checklist that you will get once USCIS has forwarded your file to the NVC.

And this link will help you as well   https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents.html

nvc checklist .jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, tiurzm said:

9 hours ago, EG&XY said:

The petitioner (US citizen or legal permanent resident) is responsible for completing the I-864. It is not unusual for the forms to still be in use after the expiration date on them expires. You will just have to check the form version when it comes time to submit it to make sure that you fill out the correct one. For now you can use that one as a guide, but you won't be submitting that form for quite a while.

You will eventually need to complete the DS-260, which is the actual visa application. You won't be able to find an actual form since it is an electronic form that you fill out in CEAC (the online system that the NVC uses). You can take a look at this example (https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf), but it is likely a little bit out of date.

For now just focus on familiarizing yourself with all of the steps and procedures. I wouldn't get hung up on the exact version of the I-864, DS-260, etc. The petitioner will have to first file the I-130 and supporting document. Then it will take ~6 months (or more) for the petition to be approved. Then the case will go to the NVC, you will spend a couple of months paying fees and submitting the DS-260, i-864, and other supporting documents. Then you will finally get an interview scheduled.

The expiration date you see is the expiration of the comment period to the Office of Management and Budget; the form itself will not expire and can be used.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, tiurzm said:

Once your I-130 is approved, your case will be send to NVC. They will email (if you choose that option) and mail you about what to do next. I am just copying the steps from my NVC letter

They will assign a case number and invoice number which you will need to complete bellow process

Case Number:XXXXXXX

Invoice Number:XXXXXXXXXX

Step 1: Choose an agent (please allow up to three (3) weeks for processing before continuing to Step 2)

Step 2: Pay fees online at ceac.state.gov (allow up to one (1) week for processing before continuing to Step 3)

Step 3: Submit visa application form online at ceac.state.gov

Step 4: Collect financial documents

Step 5: Collect supporting documents

Step 6: Submit financial and supporting documents in one package to NVC

You can also start collecting documents as per aghaaz0719

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:36 PM, aghaaz0719 said:

Here is a checklist that you will get once USCIS has forwarded your file to the NVC.

And this link will help you as well   https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents.html

nvc checklist .jpg

Note: It is always better to choose current form @ the time you are filling a form. so, double check on USCIS site for that. Link for I-864:https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

Edited by mrahman14

• 9 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 5/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, emillanger said:

If US citizen spouse (Petitioner)was born out side US needs birth certificate for NVC?? can anybody answer this Please?

Proof of the petitioner’s citizenship is enough for immigrant visas for spouses (naturalization certificate or U.S. passport). If it’s easy to get their birth certificate, I would have one just in case but it shouldn’t be necessary. His of course is different if the intending immigrant is the parent of the petitioner.

CR-1 Nebraska Service Center U.S. Embassy Madrid

Event

Date
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Madrid, Spain
Marriage (if applicable):  
I-130 Sent : 2018-04-11
I-130 NOA1 : 2018-04-23
I-130 RFE :  
I-130 RFE Sent :  
I-130 Approved : 2018-06-20
NVC Received : 2018-06-27

9 hours ago, ChrisJay11 said:

Proof of the petitioner’s citizenship is enough for immigrant visas for spouses (naturalization certificate or U.S. passport). If it’s easy to get their birth certificate, I would have one just in case but it shouldn’t be necessary. His of course is different if the intending immigrant is the parent of the petitioner.

Thank You!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.