super2007

n400 question and avoid ONLINE Application

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

First of all thanks for this forum for great answers and tips few of my questions regarding n400 application:

1. Part 10, questions 6 b "Date Your current spouse became U.S Citizen

I am doing this application for my wife who is Green Card holder waiting for conditions to be removed (within 90 days limit).  I am a US Citizen who has a US passport from 2011 not expired and my previous expired passport made in 2004 when i became a citizen has the date i got it but i don't have that passport on me anymore and i can't find it prob shredded the old one when  got new US passport. Should i put 2004 date for "when i became a US Citizen" from my old passport which i don't have with me to show in case they request it or should i use 2011 new passport scane?

2. Do we need 2 Passport style pictures? it seems that if you are overseas you need it but if you are in USA than you don't is that correct?

3. I originally tried to do the online application and when i got to "evidence" tab i had uploaded few scans of green card section etc and closed the + button to upload tax returns as i went back to look at "green card" section where i uploaded scanned copies of my wife Green card the website displays same name for each file uploaded! I had uploaded 2 pdf files 1 file with front of Green card and 1 file with back of the green card but when you "view or download" the uploaded documents they all show one file and the other file uploaded displays same thing as the first file.  Another example i uploaded 3 years of tax return but website shows same 2013 returns uploaded 3 times even though i have uploaded 3 years and 3 separate files.  So please be aware i don't want the application to be processed and have only 1 years of tax return or only the front of my wifes green card uploaded.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1.  Look at your naturalization certificate.  That will have the date you became a US Citizen.  If you were born in the US, then you just click that you became a citizen at birth.  The date on the passport just shows the date you were approved to get a passport---that date has nothing to do with the date you became an American citizen.

2.  That is correct.  You do not need to submit photos if you are filing from within the States.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Going through said:

1.  Look at your naturalization certificate.  That will have the date you became a US Citizen.  If you were born in the US, then you just click that you became a citizen at birth.  The date on the passport just shows the date you were approved to get a passport---that date has nothing to do with the date you became an American citizen.

2.  That is correct.  You do not need to submit photos if you are filing from within the States.

Thanks for the reply but i don't have naturalization certificate i got the passport through my dad without needed certificate

Timeline
5 minutes ago, super2007 said:

can you ask  your dad what date he received the approval when he applied for your proof of citizenship?

Regarding your last question, the information that may help you with uploading documents starts around page 61 in the below link:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/USCIS ELIS/USCIS_ELIS_Customer_User_Manual.pdf

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 7/13/2017 at 8:09 PM, super2007 said:

3. I originally tried to do the online application and when i got to "evidence" tab i had uploaded few scans of green card section etc and closed the + button to upload tax returns as i went back to look at "green card" section where i uploaded scanned copies of my wife Green card the website displays same name for each file uploaded! I had uploaded 2 pdf files 1 file with front of Green card and 1 file with back of the green card but when you "view or download" the uploaded documents they all show one file and the other file uploaded displays same thing as the first file.  Another example i uploaded 3 years of tax return but website shows same 2013 returns uploaded 3 times even though i have uploaded 3 years and 3 separate files.  So please be aware i don't want the application to be processed and have only 1 years of tax return or only the front of my wifes green card uploaded.

That's unfortunate! I also had a couple of duplicate files mysteriously upload, but other than that, it seems to have accepted all of the documents. Hopefully they will be able to work these glitches out sooner rather than later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yep, I am getting the same thing. Duplicate documents showing up when i know that i uploaded one document each. The kicker is that even when i delete the attachments and save, it shows the same attachment when i go back and check. This is really frustrating. 

Timeline
On 7/15/2017 at 1:09 AM, SamBillz said:

Yep, I am getting the same thing. Duplicate documents showing up when i know that i uploaded one document each. The kicker is that even when i delete the attachments and save, it shows the same attachment when i go back and check. This is really frustrating. 

ya i have been filling out the application on paper now.

Question for all

1. I have 1040 tax forms, instead of transcripts can i send those? i can't request online tax tanscripts as my phone number is not under my name so  i am unable to verify my self and create account.  I have requested paper transcripts

2. About blank/ N/A area i am still confused as to what to do for area that don't apply to me.  Random post here say leave it blank, some say do N/A on all empty space and some say first line do N/A.  What should i do?

3. For package, i have a normal file folder like here (https://www.amazon.com/Smead-Folder-Letter-Assorted-11943/dp/B00006IF1S) and will stack all papers with paper clips is that fine?

4. Do i need to include Table of Contents page TOP of all papers? i think the pay via credit card document says it needs to be on the top

Edited by super2007

Timeline

2.  Like you said, some put N/A everywhere, some leave it blank, some put N/A in only the first box  I left them all  blank, including the first box.  

3.  Don't waste your time with this, imo.  They will just remove all the paperclips and throw out all the folders.  If the package is really thick, secure it with a rubber band.  Note:  it's also known that USCIS hates staples with a passion.  

4.  You don't have to include a cover sheet but some do.  I did, only because I read that it becomes useful to an adjudicator when they are quickly trying to determine off the bat if you have submitted proper documentation relevant to your case, when you are sitting across from them in your interview.    Credit Card document needs to appear as the first page, yes.

Don't forget to make a photocopy of your entire application and all supporting documents before mailing it!

• 3 months later...

This thread was useful; I just got burned by the inability to delete uploaded evidence documents, and I thought I was going crazy! I'm going to revert to a paper application now :/

thanks for bringing  up this technical issue ...it's frustrating to see the uploading glitch,

What's the best way to minimize the problem when uploading supporting documents online?

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAp0TsKmPJf_9JiQxsUnfh2F9kLzbr9cpfyuGv2RjfQ/edit?usp=sharing 

My immigration journey:

• 08/2011,H-1b entry
  • 05/2012, EB-1A 140 approval
  • 02/2013AOS / I-485 approval and received green card
  • 11/2017, N-400 e-filed (5-year term)
  • 09/2018, N-400 approval 
  • 10/2018, oath day
  • 11/26/2018, minor child N-600 mailed out(USPS)
  • 04/12/2019, N-600 approval letter  

Timeline
1 hour ago, marcusa said:

thanks for bringing  up this technical issue ...it's frustrating to see the uploading glitch,

What's the best way to minimize the problem when uploading supporting documents online?

From the advice I received when applying online, it seems that if you upload all of your documents in one sitting (in other words, not uploading some documents and then logging back in another day to continue uploading), it cuts down the duplication glitch.

That being said, I did mine in one sitting and a few of my documents still uploaded in duplicate.  In the end, as long as USCIS gets what they need that's all that really matters though, so I didn't stress over a document attaching itself duplicate times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, Going through said:

2.  Like you said, some put N/A everywhere, some leave it blank, some put N/A in only the first box  I left them all  blank, including the first box.  

3.  Don't waste your time with this, imo.  They will just remove all the paperclips and throw out all the folders.  If the package is really thick, secure it with a rubber band.  Note:  it's also known that USCIS hates staples with a passion.  

4.  You don't have to include a cover sheet but some do.  I did, only because I read that it becomes useful to an adjudicator when they are quickly trying to determine off the bat if you have submitted proper documentation relevant to your case, when you are sitting across from them in your interview.    Credit Card document needs to appear as the first page, yes.

Don't forget to make a photocopy of your entire application and all supporting documents before mailing it!

2. always put N/A in the blank fields - when the computer scans the form if you leave the spaces blank , it could error out or read another character in its spot - there have been cases where a person with no middle name was assigned a middle initial in error etc

3. Do not use staples - you may use a big clip / staple to hold it all together

4. The nice thing to do is include a cover sheet and list items in the order they were attached - it helps the reviewer and in case your file gets misplaced or everything falls on the floor , they will know what you sent

Also -

Make sure your A# is on all pieces of paper in the file

Preferably you would send a check - the CC authorization is a one time only thing - there have been cases on here where the bank did not allow the transaction to go through and the officer shredded the form without trying again - the full package was sent back - with a check they get a couple of tries at least .....

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

• 10 months later...

UPDATE about "ONLINE APPLICATION''

I know this is an older post but since I'm surfing, reading and getting educated about current status of ONLINE application, so far ONLINE APPLICATION has improved a lot.  

So for future reference for N-400 Filers,  don't hesitate to try ONLINE application, it is so easy and reliable. However, ONLINE application doesn't gives greater advantage on "How fast the application will be".  It still depends what is your "FIELD OFFICE'' Processing time.  

Cheers,

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.