jackyjimenez

Visiting with K-1 visa process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi, I am starting with my K-1 process. I´m from Costa Rica and I´d like to visit my fiance for the last time in the States as a visitor, what should I do? But I am afraid to say I am going to see him, I´ve been in the States twice one month the first time and five days last time.

31-08-2017 ---   I-129F SENT

I told CBP three times I was coming to visit my boyfriend and two times I was visiting my fiance (both the same guy lol) and got through without problems. 
Just be honest. It'll be very appreciated and saves you more troubles than getting caught lying.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

I travelled from the UK and visited my fiancé in the US once each month (5 visits in total) while we were waiting for approval, and never had any issues. My advice would be the same as others - to just make sure that you take some evidence with you that proves you still have ties to your home country. I always took an updated mortgage statement to prove I owned property in the UK, and a letter from my boss that said I was employed full time in an office position. Be honest at immigration, and you'll be fine. They may ask you a few additional questions about your ties to home, but honesty is definitely the best policy.

01/18/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

01/25/17 - NOA1

05/05/17 - NOA2 (100 days from NOA1)

05/19/17 - NVC received and case number assigned

05/26/17 - Case left NVC, status 'In Transit'

05/30/17 - Medical

05/31/17 - Consulate received 

07/13/17 - Interview, APPROVED!

07/21/17 - Visa in hand

07/22/17 - POE Newark, successful

08/02/17 - Married

08/23/17 - AOS filed (incl. EAD and AP)

08/31/17 - NOA1 date on AOS packet

09/21/17 - Biometrics appt

10/16/17 - Online tracker says 'Ready for Interview'

11/09/17 - EAD and AP approved

11/16/17 - EAD/AP combo card arrived

12/19/17 - Green card interview

12/22/17 - RFE received (medical had been lost)

01/23/18 - Green card in production

On 7/13/2017 at 4:10 AM, jackyjimenez said:

Hi, I am starting with my K-1 process. I´m from Costa Rica and I´d like to visit my fiance for the last time in the States as a visitor, what should I do? But I am afraid to say I am going to see him, I´ve been in the States twice one month the first time and five days last time.

I don't come from a first world or western country but it worked out fine for me too. At the point of my last visit to the US, I was already engaged to my USC fiance. The CBP officer asked me who I was visiting and I told him my fiance and his family. He asked if I was planning to get married during that visit and I said no and that we are compiling the paperwork for him to send off upon my departure. He also looked at my flight itinerary printout to confirm that I have a flight booked to return home :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.