Peot

Will I need petitioner info at interview?

14 posts in this topic

I was told from another forum to ask here as every embassy is different.

What (if any) petitioner documentation do I need to bring with me to the consulate in MTL? Nothing on Packet 4 says anything about originals for the petitioner, but I have read other threads here (possibly from other consulates) where they were required.

There were already originals sent with the I-129F application to USCIS, and I have heard that the consulate receives this.

In short... do we need to get NEW originals of the petitioners birth certificate, divorce decrees, etc,  or will this not be a requirement at Montreal?

In order to get divorce decrees and birth certificate originals again, it would be another several weeks to months of waiting (her certificates are out of state), and another $100 or so to get them....

Anyone need any of this?

I can't answer about MTL requirements BUT do not ever forward original documents unless asked. Originals aren't returned to you and the USC!

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Ouch, you sent originals with the i-129f package? That's not good. In Sweden we only needed the divorce decree, not the BC. But like you said, could be different in Canada.

I do know that many US citizens have been asked for the BC on the AOS interview though, so if you get an interview it would be good to have the BC just in case.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I went in on July 5th, they didn't take any of the petitioner docs other than a copy of last years tax return as evidence of the I-134. 

I brought a copy of his birth certificate as well as a bank statement and copy of car registration for the proof of domicile ( listed as needed on the Packet 4 list), but none were asked for.

As for any legal docs (Passport,  Birth certificate,  Adoptions decree,  Marriage certificate(s),  Death and/or divorce certificate(s), military records ) I'd  make sure you bring both the originals for them to see as well as a copy for them to keep. I know for certain they will ask for your long-form Canadian birth certificate which they give back once you're done.

I also have my doubts that USCIS would have forwarded your original docs to the NVC and then to the consulate, but I could be wrong. I imagine they are sent a copy of the info, but the i-129F application is separate. I'd recommend contacting the consulate and seeing what they have to say in your case and if they received said docs. They are usually good about answering within 36 hours.  Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov is the email.

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

6 hours ago, LittleLeaf said:

When I went in on July 5th, they didn't take any of the petitioner docs other than a copy of last years tax return as evidence of the I-134. 

I brought a copy of his birth certificate as well as a bank statement and copy of car registration for the proof of domicile ( listed as needed on the Packet 4 list), but none were asked for.

As for any legal docs (Passport,  Birth certificate,  Adoptions decree,  Marriage certificate(s),  Death and/or divorce certificate(s), military records ) I'd  make sure you bring both the originals for them to see as well as a copy for them to keep. I know for certain they will ask for your long-form Canadian birth certificate which they give back once you're done.

I also have my doubts that USCIS would have forwarded your original docs to the NVC and then to the consulate, but I could be wrong. I imagine they are sent a copy of the info, but the i-129F application is separate. I'd recommend contacting the consulate and seeing what they have to say in your case and if they received said docs. They are usually good about answering within 36 hours.  Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov is the email.

I definitely have originals of all of MY information, but getting the petitioner originals and wondering whether they're required or not is what I really need to know.

In your case they didn't ask for it, but that doesn't mean they "never" ask for it. I'm more curious about someone who was asked for it, gave a copy, and was good to go.

Interesting about the birth certificate though. I didn't even know a "long-form" birth certificate existed for my province. I just have the card sized, and have had that all of my life (literally). I've always been able to pass off the one as identification, even for when I applied for a passport, so I wonder if there's a difference.... time to make a call to Vital Statistics.

The reason I wondered about the consulate having originals is because I've actually read here that the consulate will give you back your original photos given at the time of the initial I-129F application. Not saying MTL did it, but I've heard of people getting those kinds of things back. Implies there MUST be some kind of transferring of documentation.

On 7/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, Scandi said:

Ouch, you sent originals with the i-129f package? That's not good. In Sweden we only needed the divorce decree, not the BC. But like you said, could be different in Canada.

I do know that many US citizens have been asked for the BC on the AOS interview though, so if you get an interview it would be good to have the BC just in case.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:55 PM, KULtoATL said:

I can't answer about MTL requirements BUT do not ever forward original documents unless asked. Originals aren't returned to you and the USC!

We sent originals of divorce decree, not birth certificates.... and to be perfectly clear, those "originals" were purchased specifically for the application anyway.

But you both misunderstood the question, and I think I emphasized the word originals too much. The question isn't whether or not they want "originals" but whether or not they'll want them at all. Either way I'd provide originals.

Do they need ANY of the petitioners documentation (birth certificates, divorce decrees, etc)? 

The only downside, as I said in my post, is that getting those again will take time and money, and if they aren't required, then I won't bother.

Timeline

Like I said in the post you quoted, at the embassy in Sweden they asked for the original or certified copy of petitioner's divorce decree (even though I had already sent a certified copy in the initial i-129f package they still asked for one more at the interview). They didn't ask for the petitioner's BC (we had provided a photocopy of it in the package but were never asked for the original or a certified copy). I don't think I misunderstood your question (original or certified copy is more or less the same thing in this situation, but I thought you had shipped off the actual original of the petitioner's BC with the i-129f petition. I know my husband has his original BC, not a certified copy), however it migh be different at your embasy, sorry I can't help any further. =/

I think it took my husband 5 weeks to get his certified copy of the divorce decree that we added to the i-129f package. And then it obviously took another 5 weeks to get the certified copy of the same that I brought to the interview (luckily I was in the US at the time so I just brought it with me back to Sweden). Certainly worth it though since they did ask for it specifically. 

We made the mistake of sending a certified copy from the very beginning, it was very unnecessary and photocopies are just fine.

Edited by Scandi

As per my original comment, I did say "UNLESS asked" because some documents are supposed to be original such as the police certificate and even the certified translation of a birth certificate (as opposed to photocopied version of the certified translation).

Again, I did not answer if they would need your petitioner's civil documents because I'm not familiar with your embassy's procedure. I personally would bring some of my fiance's documents just in case they are being asked for at the interview despite nowhere in the Packet 3 did the embassy ever requested for them. So there.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

8 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Like I said in the post you quoted, at the embassy in Sweden they asked for the original or certified copy of petitioner's divorce decree (even though I had already sent a certified copy in the initial i-129f package they still asked for one more at the interview). They didn't ask for the petitioner's BC (we had provided a photocopy of it in the package but were never asked for the original or a certified copy). I don't think I misunderstood your question (original or certified copy is more or less the same thing in this situation, but I thought you had shipped off the actual original of the petitioner's BC with the i-129f petition. I know my husband has his original BC, not a certified copy), however it migh be different at your embasy, sorry I can't help any further. =/

I think it took my husband 5 weeks to get his certified copy of the divorce decree that we added to the i-129f package. And then it obviously took another 5 weeks to get the certified copy of the same that I brought to the interview (luckily I was in the US at the time so I just brought it with me back to Sweden). Certainly worth it though since they did ask for it specifically. 

We made the mistake of sending a certified copy from the very beginning, it was very unnecessary and photocopies are just fine.

Sounds about right. I'll have the petitioner get new originals made of divorce decree in case they ask for them, since, as I've read here and as you confirmed, they might ask for them.

Kind of a waste of money if I get the same experience as LittleLeaf had, but it's peace of mind.

In the United States (at least where my petitioner lives), they were able to print out certified copies of divorce decree immediately for us in the past. It's the birth certificates that take the most time (about 5 weeks as well).

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Peot said:

Sounds about right. I'll have the petitioner get new originals made of divorce decree in case they ask for them, since, as I've read here and as you confirmed, they might ask for them.

Kind of a waste of money if I get the same experience as LittleLeaf had, but it's peace of mind.

In the United States (at least where my petitioner lives), they were able to print out certified copies of divorce decree immediately for us in the past. It's the birth certificates that take the most time (about 5 weeks as well).

I never bothered with the petitioner's BC since I was fairly sure it would never be asked for anyway, and it wasn't. He still has his original here at home and we will need it for the AOS interview. If your fiancé already has his original/certified BC at home I probably wouldn't bother to get another if I were you, as long as he has one for the AOS later on if you do get an interview. But it's up to you of course, if you feel better having a certified copy of his BC then that's what you should do. Better do it asap then since it takes so long. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, Peot said:

Interesting about the birth certificate though. I didn't even know a "long-form" birth certificate existed for my province. I just have the card sized, and have had that all of my life (literally). I've always been able to pass off the one as identification, even for when I applied for a passport, so I wonder if there's a difference.... time to make a call to Vital Statistics.

In Ontario you want to get the Record of Live Birth. That is what they want. Not sure what they call it in other provinces. But it lists parents name and place of birth, hospital info and some other stuff. They really want it because of the parent info. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, Peot said:

I definitely have originals of all of MY information, but getting the petitioner originals and wondering whether they're required or not is what I really need to know.

In your case they didn't ask for it, but that doesn't mean they "never" ask for it. I'm more curious about someone who was asked for it, gave a copy, and was good to go.

The reason I wondered about the consulate having originals is because I've actually read here that the consulate will give you back your original photos given at the time of the initial I-129F application. Not saying MTL did it, but I've heard of people getting those kinds of things back. Implies there MUST be some kind of transferring of documentation.

Fair enough.I didn't have to deal with divorce papers, so I can't speculate too much on that. The visa -is- directly involved with marriage so it may be warranted; hmm. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in about that.

I'm almost 100% sure you won't need the sponsors birth certificate though, but bringing a copy of it along isn't a bad idea. I erred on the side of caution and photocopied everything, and brought so much more than I needed lol, but it brought me a little more peace of mind.

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

On 7/12/2017 at 1:33 AM, Peot said:

By long form they mean one with both the parents names on it. If the card does not have it. You better see if you can get one with it. 

For petitioner documents you MUST have the original I-134 and any original divorce decrees. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.