Irisandjoel

Unreliable processing times - I-129F NOA2

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

The I-134 was the main document of interest at the embassy interview. The officer looked it over very carefully. Just saying that was our experience. Good luck!  

Yeah I see. That's what I would have thought. 

He started to fill it out and then was confused because it seemed more designed to be for a family member than a spouse, so we had a few questions about how to fill it out, so I contacted my embassy, they just said we don't need it. My fiancé tried calling immigration and they won't answer any questions regarding the form through phone, they want him to make an appointment at the nearest office that is like an 2 and half hour drive away... like what the heck? 

But I think we will just fill it out anyway as fun as it is and I will post any questions we have about it here since the people at the consular and the offices are being super unhelpful about this.. 

Edited by Irisandjoel
grammatical errors

I have a NOA1 date January 17th and still waiting, unfortunately my case took a weird turn and got transferred on may 25th to Nebraska and ive spoken to Tier 2 and supervisors, none of them give me a reason why just keep saying so they can process the case faster. 

You've got a lot of good advice here but two quick tips for the rest of your immigration journey:

First: treat any information you see that is more than 6 months old as suspect. It is *likely* still right but things can and DO change all the time so it's best to double check with more current information.

Example: the Dallas Lockbox (not Texas Service Center-- you were never there, although the Dallas Lockbox is in the state of Texas, they are not the same thing) has  been sending new I-129f packets to only California Service Center for about two years now (my fiance and I have the dubious honor of being among the last ones processed by that miserable place), so the information you got about how they route packets based on what state the petitioner lives in is really, really outdated.

Second: do not listen to anything that USCIS hotline says to you. They really, really don't know what they're talking about. It is counter intuitive, I know but trust me (and anyone who has dealt with them for any amount of time can confirm) they are useless. We call them the misinformation line.

Example: They don't have any information beyond what is on USCIS's official processing time page (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do). Click on processing times for California Service Center. There you will see your "December 15". But also look in the gray bar above the chart. It says: "Field Office Processing Dates for California Service Center as of: March 31, 2017". So, that's saying that *ten and a half weeks ago*, they were processing December 15th petitions. Useless, huh?

I am 90% sure that they not only report like this on purpose (and it used to be worse if you can believe it), but then they hide that "as of" information (and clearly don't train the Misinformation Line folks to see it.... or maybe they tell them to make it sound like that's the current processing time). Why? Because the longer you think the timeline is, the less likely you're going to call every day as soon as you're past normal processing time. Imagine that was accurate to-the-day.  Everyone would be calling off the hook if they think they'd been skipped somehow. So, they release the processing times once a month  "as of" 6 weeks previous, so those dates are always off by 6 to 10 weeks. Then they don't make it clear how out of date the dates are, effectively buying them between 6 and 10 weeks worth of petitions that don't have people calling because they feel like they got skipped. And if/when you call and they make it sound like they are taking seven months to process these, you're not going to call back until you hit seven months. You'll be sad and stressed and come complain on visajourney but they don't care. They just want to keep the phone calls to a minimum. Welcome to USCIS, this is how they operate.

Stick to the VJ timelines, they're more accurate (but far from exact). 

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline
On 6/12/2017 at 5:51 PM, Lenchique said:

Iris,

our NOA1 was 2/10/17

NOA2 was 5/5/17 (80+ days), also processed by California center. Avg is 90-115 days. We got lucky with a just wee bit shorter wait. So don't panic. Start reading feb/March filers forum and you'll see where you are at in comparison to others. You are about a month behind our time table.

My my finace just went through his physical exam. We hope to get the interview first week in July. So I hope to have him here in early August. 

My fiancé just got an email saying our case was approved!!! :D

I expected waiting at least another month! So happy and relieved!

On 6/13/2017 at 4:39 PM, CatherineA said:

You've got a lot of good advice here but two quick tips for the rest of your immigration journey:

First: treat any information you see that is more than 6 months old as suspect. It is *likely* still right but things can and DO change all the time so it's best to double check with more current information.

Example: the Dallas Lockbox (not Texas Service Center-- you were never there, although the Dallas Lockbox is in the state of Texas, they are not the same thing) has  been sending new I-129f packets to only California Service Center for about two years now (my fiance and I have the dubious honor of being among the last ones processed by that miserable place), so the information you got about how they route packets based on what state the petitioner lives in is really, really outdated.

Second: do not listen to anything that USCIS hotline says to you. They really, really don't know what they're talking about. It is counter intuitive, I know but trust me (and anyone who has dealt with them for any amount of time can confirm) they are useless. We call them the misinformation line.

Example: They don't have any information beyond what is on USCIS's official processing time page (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do). Click on processing times for California Service Center. There you will see your "December 15". But also look in the gray bar above the chart. It says: "Field Office Processing Dates for California Service Center as of: March 31, 2017". So, that's saying that *ten and a half weeks ago*, they were processing December 15th petitions. Useless, huh?

I am 90% sure that they not only report like this on purpose (and it used to be worse if you can believe it), but then they hide that "as of" information (and clearly don't train the Misinformation Line folks to see it.... or maybe they tell them to make it sound like that's the current processing time). Why? Because the longer you think the timeline is, the less likely you're going to call every day as soon as you're past normal processing time. Imagine that was accurate to-the-day.  Everyone would be calling off the hook if they think they'd been skipped somehow. So, they release the processing times once a month  "as of" 6 weeks previous, so those dates are always off by 6 to 10 weeks. Then they don't make it clear how out of date the dates are, effectively buying them between 6 and 10 weeks worth of petitions that don't have people calling because they feel like they got skipped. And if/when you call and they make it sound like they are taking seven months to process these, you're not going to call back until you hit seven months. You'll be sad and stressed and come complain on visajourney but they don't care. They just want to keep the phone calls to a minimum. Welcome to USCIS, this is how they operate.

Stick to the VJ timelines, they're more accurate (but far from exact). 

Our case just got approved today!! 

2 minutes ago, Irisandjoel said:

My fiancé just got an email saying our case was approved!!! :D

I expected waiting at least another month! So happy and relieved!

Our case just got approved today!! 

Congrats!  And look, just two days beyond what VJ is showing as the average :D

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1historical  (Ignore TSC and VSC-- there really aren't many if any people at those service centers right now. TSC is people confused thinking they're at TSC because of the reason you did. VSC is where some cases get referred to for reasons that I personally think have to do with more complex stuff than most of us will ever see).

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.