mcdull

Filing N400 online, anyone?

1,046 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, carlos77 said:

is there a October 2017 forum?

They normally start the monthly threads around the 1st or so.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

It's definitely not a myth by any means. A more efficient filing method is going to save some time, no doubt about it. The question is just how much time it really saves. You know for a fact that it saves at least a couple days when mailing information back and forth (a couple days for the initial application, the biometrics appointment PDF is posted online so you don't have to wait for that letter to show up, etc.) and of course the time it takes to transfer your physical paperwork between departments (sending to the field office, for example). 

Now, does the application itself get processed faster or higher priority? That's hard to say, but maybe. With it being such a new system it would not surprise me if they're trying to get as many online applications done as possible just to iron out kinks. Also, if you're an immigration officer and you sit down and process one online application, then one paper, then one online, then one paper, etc. then just by the sheer fact that the number of online applicants is significantly smaller (for now), you're going to get yours processed sooner. On top of all that, just the sheer level of ease it is for an IO to process your documentation is going to speed things up a bit. That said, it's not like they're ignoring the paper applications to give the online applications specific priority. 

What does this all add up to? Maybe a couple days shorter, maybe a few weeks, or maybe a few months. Who knows? The online filing system is still very new so we really don't have any idea at this point. That said, check out the August 2017 Filers thread and you can clearly see that the online filers (except for me but I know I'm a special case) are being processed significantly faster at this point. 

So all that said, there's just no good reason to NOT file online unless you're not eligible (which is determined when you start your application). Of course the other huge benefit is that your updates are quite a bit more granular, and you're able to send questions/messages to immigration officers directly from your online profile page. PDFs are all uploaded online as well which is a pretty significant benefit.

Hope that helps! 

Thanks! 

Edited by r060106

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
57 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

check out the August 2017 Filers thread and you can clearly see that the online filers (except for me but I know I'm a special case) are being processed significantly faster at this point

Same with July filers...the online filers who submitted applications during that month are moving quickly too.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

It's definitely not a myth by any means. A more efficient filing method is going to save some time, no doubt about it. The question is just how much time it really saves. You know for a fact that it saves at least a couple days when mailing information back and forth (a couple days for the initial application, the biometrics appointment PDF is posted online so you don't have to wait for that letter to show up, etc.) and of course the time it takes to transfer your physical paperwork between departments (sending to the field office, for example). 

Now, does the application itself get processed faster or higher priority? That's hard to say, but maybe. With it being such a new system it would not surprise me if they're trying to get as many online applications done as possible just to iron out kinks. Also, if you're an immigration officer and you sit down and process one online application, then one paper, then one online, then one paper, etc. then just by the sheer fact that the number of online applicants is significantly smaller (for now), you're going to get yours processed sooner. On top of all that, just the sheer level of ease it is for an IO to process your documentation is going to speed things up a bit. That said, it's not like they're ignoring the paper applications to give the online applications specific priority. 

What does this all add up to? Maybe a couple days shorter, maybe a few weeks, or maybe a few months. Who knows? The online filing system is still very new so we really don't have any idea at this point. That said, check out the August 2017 Filers thread and you can clearly see that the online filers (except for me but I know I'm a special case) are being processed significantly faster at this point. 

So all that said, there's just no good reason to NOT file online unless you're not eligible (which is determined when you start your application). Of course the other huge benefit is that your updates are quite a bit more granular, and you're able to send questions/messages to immigration officers directly from your online profile page. PDFs are all uploaded online as well which is a pretty significant benefit.

Hope that helps! 

GREAT INFO THANKS!

N-400 Timeline (San Francisco field office / 5 Years Work GC filing after 12+ years on GC):

08/27/2017 (day 00): N-400 application was filed online on ELIS

08/28/2017 (day 01): ELIS case status was changed to "We received your application"; Receipt notice letter PDF was posted on ELIS; 

09/01/2017 (day 05): ELIS case status was changed to "We scheduled your biometrics appointment"; 

09/06/2017 (day 10): Biometrics appointment letter PDF was posted on ELIS; Biometrics appointment was scheduled for 9/20/2017 

09/07/2017 (day 11): Early walk-in biometrics was completed; ELIS showed "Biometrics Completed On Sept 07, 2017"; took a printout and walked-in. No need to wait for the mail. 

09/08/2017 (day 12): ELIS case status was changed to "We reviewed your biometrics"

09/13/2017 (day 17): ELIS case status was changed to "USCIS has Scheduled Interview, will mail appointment letter"

09/25/2017 (day 29): ELIS case status was changed back to "We reviewed your biometrics"

Hope to see some update soon :) 

9 hours ago, Sam V said:

N-400 Timeline (San Francisco field office / 5 Years Work GC filing after 12+ years on GC):

08/27/2017 (day 00): N-400 application was filed online on ELIS

08/28/2017 (day 01): ELIS case status was changed to "We received your application"; Receipt notice letter PDF was posted on ELIS; 

09/01/2017 (day 05): ELIS case status was changed to "We scheduled your biometrics appointment"; 

09/06/2017 (day 10): Biometrics appointment letter PDF was posted on ELIS; Biometrics appointment was scheduled for 9/20/2017 

09/07/2017 (day 11): Early walk-in biometrics was completed; ELIS showed "Biometrics Completed On Sept 07, 2017"; took a printout and walked-in. No need to wait for the mail. 

09/08/2017 (day 12): ELIS case status was changed to "We reviewed your biometrics"

09/13/2017 (day 17): ELIS case status was changed to "USCIS has Scheduled Interview, will mail appointment letter"

09/25/2017 (day 29): ELIS case status was changed back to "We reviewed your biometrics"

Hope to see some update soon :) 

Great!

Edited by carlos77

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country:
Timeline
15 hours ago, Going through said:

Same with July filers...the online filers who submitted applications during that month are moving quickly too.

Good luck today Going through!!!

Just got an email that USCIS has taken an action so I logged into my account but I don't see any update except September 27 we reviewed your bio metric. Then I checked on regular check status and entered the application no 'it says On September 27, 2017 we scheduled an interview'.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, zoom123 said:

Just got an email that USCIS has taken an action so I logged into my account but I don't see any update except September 27 we reviewed your bio metric. Then I checked on regular check status and entered the application no 'it says On September 27, 2017 we scheduled an interview'.

@zoom123 - System is unpredictable at best so don't worry about such stuff. I checked my status randomly today and it says that I have been scheduled for an interview and will receive a letter soon. No email/text or even the check status site shows "Biometric scheduled". 

30 minutes ago, SamBillz said:

@zoom123 - System is unpredictable at best so don't worry about such stuff. I checked my status randomly today and it says that I have been scheduled for an interview and will receive a letter soon. No email/text or even the check status site shows "Biometric scheduled". 

It was same thing for me until they changed the look of the page dash board. It was just saying we reviewed your bio metric. The regular https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do shows interview scheduled.

43 minutes ago, carlos77 said:

Where I can find N400 to fill out online? 

Thank you!

Go to this link  https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/  and create an user name and password. Once you created login to the site and apply for N-400 it will ask you some eligibility questions. If you're eligible it will let you fill the application.

Good luck.

zoom123 Than you so  much!

Just now, zoom123 said:

Go to this link  https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/  and create an user name and password. Once you created login to the site and apply for N-400 it will ask you some eligibility questions. If you're eligible it will let you fill the application.

Good luck.

zoom123 Thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.