Camie

I-134 Affidavit of Support from USC fiance who resides outside US?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone would know how to go about I-134. My fiance is a dual citizen (US and PH) but has lived in the Philippines all his life. From what I understand, in a case like this, his income doesn't count as the affidavit of support needs to come from someone who resides in the US. Is the only way really to find a joint sponsor? How do we go about this? 

AOS Timeline: Camie (Beneficiary)

Dec 08, 2017:               Married!
June 23, 2018:             Filed AOS (we waited until our savings reached above poverty guideline since we both moved here from the PH with basically nothing)

Aug 20, 2018:              Biometrics (I asked to reschedule but USCIS never sent a new date, so I did walk-in.)
Nov 5, 2018:                Received RFE for I-864 joint sponsor

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Does he have domicile in the USA?  That may be a bigger issue.  Has he filed his taxes?

No, unfortunately. He obtained his citizenship from his father, which explains why he is a dual citizen. We plan to marry in the US and start our life together there.

His brother currently lives in California, but recently just beat cancer and has been out of work for quite a while due to it. We're not sure if we can rely on him for joint sponsor because he has a household of 3 already.

Edited by camiej

June 23, 2018:             Filed AOS (we waited until our savings reached above poverty guideline since we both moved here from the PH with basically nothing)

Aug 20, 2018:              Biometrics (I asked to reschedule but USCIS never sent a new date, so I did walk-in.)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, camiej said:

No, unfortunately. He obtained his citizenship from his father, which explains why he is a dual citizen. We plan to marry in the US and start our life together there.

His brother currently lives in California, but recently just beat cancer and has been out of work for quite a while due to it. We're not sure if we can rely on him for joint sponsor because he has a household of 3 already.

He needs to file his back taxes first, he could be in for a hefty fine from the IRS.  Without established domicile it may be difficult to get a k1.  Him never living there before I reccomend him returning to the USA first and establish himself.  Does he have a US passport?  

Edited by Transborderwife

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

He needs to file his back taxes first, he could be in for a hefty fine from the IRS.  Without established domicile it may be difficult to get a k1.  Him never living there before I reccomend him returning to the USA first and establish himself.  Does he have a US passport?  

He does have a US passport. 

Regarding the IRS, I believe he's exempt considering his domicile is PH and not US, if anything he would just need to catch up on filing those "exempt" claims. His brother moved from the Philippines to the US a few years ago with no problems. But he married his wife there so it seemed to be easier than getting a fiance visa like we are now.

Timeline
Just now, camiej said:

Regarding the IRS, I believe he's exempt considering his domicile is PH and not US, if anything he would just need to catch up on filing those "exempt" claims. His brother moved from the Philippines to the US a few years ago with no problems. But he married his wife there so it seemed to be easier than getting a fiance visa like we are now.

Regardless of domicile he is not exempted.  No us citizen is unless they don't make enough money.  He must file those taxes before considering a k1.  Passport is good but he needs domicile, an address, taxes, voter registration etc

Timeline
Just now, Transborderwife said:

Regardless of domicile he is not exempted.  No us citizen is unless they don't make enough money.  He must file those taxes before considering a k1.  Passport is good but he needs domicile, an address, taxes, voter registration etc

I would guess he's exempt from the fact that he's self employed and not making enough money in US standards. They're well-off but unfortunately wages in the PH are low, and it's normal in Philippine culture to live with your parents until you marry, and so that is how he gets by fine. 

But we'll take your suggestion and I'll let him know! Thanks!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, camiej said:

I would guess he's exempt from the fact that he's self employed and not making enough money in US standards. They're well-off but unfortunately wages in the PH are low, and it's normal in Philippine culture to live with your parents until you marry, and so that is how he gets by fine. 

But we'll take your suggestion and I'll let him know! Thanks!

If he makes over $400 usd a year he's not exempt 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

If he makes over $400 usd a year he's not exempt 

Do you mean $4000?

Either way, I have checked and for 2016 it was at $10,300.

Filed: Timeline
11 hours ago, Camie said:

US citizens have a right to enter the US.  That's why his brother didn't have a problem.  Neither does your fiancé, he doesn't have a problem entering the US.

The brother's fiancee didn't need a fiancee visa.  It was easy because she didn't need a fiancee visa.  You do.  This makes your situation completely different.  To get you a fiancee visa, your fiancé must 1) file US tax returns, and 2) establish a US domicile.  Your fiancee will also need a Joint Sponsor since he does not have a US income to sponsor you for a fiancee visa.

11 hours ago, Camie said:

US citizens are taxed on worldwide income, so being domicile in the PH and not the US dose not excuse him from having to file.  Being able to take the Foreign Earned Income Exemption leaving no tax liability does not exempt the need to file.

There is no such thing as "exempt" claims.  Not a tax thing.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

US citizens have a right to enter the US.  That's why his brother didn't have a problem.  Neither does your fiancé, he doesn't have a problem entering the US.

The brother's fiancee didn't need a fiancee visa.  It was easy because she didn't need a fiancee visa.  You do.  This makes your situation completely different.  To get you a fiancee visa, your fiancé must 1) file US tax returns, and 2) establish a US domicile.  Your fiancee will also need a Joint Sponsor since he does not have a US income to sponsor you for a fiancee visa.

US citizens are taxed on worldwide income, so being domicile in the PH and not the US dose not excuse him from having to file.  Being able to take the Foreign Earned Income Exemption leaving no tax liability does not exempt the need to file.

There is no such thing as "exempt" claims.  Not a tax thing.

Thanks for your input. 

I found someone on my Facebook who had the same issue as I. Turns out his affidavit of support can be his own taxes filed in the Philippines, and not necessarily the US. Her fiance (the petitioner) was also a dual citizen and has lived in the Philippines all his life. They had no problems, as long as they had a joint sponsor who was an American citizen or resident. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, Camie said:

Thanks for your input. 

I found someone on my Facebook who had the same issue as I. Turns out his affidavit of support can be his own taxes filed in the Philippines, and not necessarily the US. Her fiance (the petitioner) was also a dual citizen and has lived in the Philippines all his life. They had no problems, as long as they had a joint sponsor who was an American citizen or resident. 

I think you're confused. The sponsor, i.e the person filing the petition, ALWAYS fills out an affidavit of support, regardless of their income. However, if the sponsor don't meet the financial requirements, then you need a joint sponsor that does. 

So since you're doing the k-1, your fiancé fills out an I-134 but because he doesn't meet the financial requirement, you then need a joint sponsor in the US who meets the financial requirements for his/her household size fill out another I-134. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.