4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok, so bear with me...

My fiancee arrived about a month ago. Before we got married, we went to the Social Security office and she applied for a SSN. Not long after, she received both a phone call and a letter saying that her SSN had been processed and she should receive it within 2 weeks. The letter said to call if it hadn't come in two weeks.

Now it's been almost three weeks, and no SSN. I called them today, but they said they could only speak to my wife. So I'm not sure exactly what was said, but essentially I guess they verified our address and said she should have it within another two weeks. What I don't know is if one was sent originally but for some reason hasn't arrived and so they're sending another one, or if for some reason it hadn't been sent yet and they were sending it for the first time. 

Anyway, on to my question. I have been getting all of the AOS/EAD/AP packets together, but was hoping for the SSN before sending them in. Everything is ready to send, but I really wanted to put the SSN on the documents when I sent them in. I know you don't need to do that, so why would I bother? Essentially - and this is something I've mentioned in other posts - but since my wife is Vietnamese, her first and middle names are switched on her visa (same order as her Vietnamese passport, which is middle/first/last). Since it's that way on her passport and visa, they said they had to use her middle name as her first name for the SSN, as well as the marriage license. Fine. I was told from other posters that the best thing to do was to still fill all of her AOS paperwork out with the CORRECT first and middle names, using the other name order for any places that ask "other names used." Then, since her green card will have the order we want and will be her main ID, we can use that to change everything else. 

My thinking is that if we send in her SSN now with the AOS paperwork, and the EAD has her SSN on it (does it?) along with her "correct" name, that it would be easier to change her name with the SS office. If she just takes the EAD or green card in with a different name, but her SSN isn't on it, how will they know it's the same person? Or if we don't include her SSN with the application now, is there a way to provide it later so that it's linked to her green card? Although looking at pictures of green cards, I don't even see a place for the SSN, so does that even matter? 

My wife really wants to get the AOS application sent in, and I don't think she has the patience to wait any longer. Should we just send it in now, even in light of our particular situation?

Thanks!

Hi there!

You are over-thinking this bit. :) No the cards don't have the SSN on it. When they search for her at the SSO they input all other info as well - for example A-number and the card-number which is on the card. When you fill in the SS-5 application for new card, you will fill in the name she is applying in and also if she has had another card and what name was on that card. The USCIS will verify whatever is in their records: Name, A-number, etc. and the SSO will then make a new card in that name upon verification. The old name will be on record with the SSO, as a prior name used. No need for waiting for that SSC.

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There is no SSN on my wife's green card, just the USCIS #. You are over-thinking the issue. When we arrived in the U.S. (K-1), we went to the local SS office and they asked how we wanted her name to be. Vietnamese have a surname (last name). It's the first and middle that is confusing. We decided the order - regardless of her passport. The SS office was cool with that. Now her SS card and green card are the same. She does not use my last name. We will change that later - or maybe we won't. It does not matter. What does matter is being consistent.

Don't worry about the SSN. Go ahead and send in the paperwork. You'll be fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.