Matisyahu

May 2017 AOS Filers

2,315 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, MccSya said:

Hello All, 

I'm here to share with you what happened during the last couple of months regarding my AOS application/ interview, I hope it would be useful in case anyone encounters the same issue. 

I received my EAD in August 2017, Since July 8th My case was ready to be scheduled for an interview, The file was being sent from NVC to San Antonio, TX. In January (After 6 months approx) I have received an interview notice for February the 7th. We had our files ready since July and our pictures and evidence of shared assets. When the date finally came, I still have no idea how it happened but somehow we both thought it was the 9th, We didn't even check the letter to verify the date until the night of the 8th when we are preparing ourselves and packing for the trip.

We both were shook, after all how would a person miss such an important date???? First thing we did in the morning at 7:59 was to call the USCIS because there was no number listed for the local office, after spending a night of reading posts where cases are marked as abandoned/ denied when no show for interview. 

Now that they have tier 2 and tier 1 call center customer service for the USCIS, The lady we spoke was tier 1 and wouldn't transfer us to an officer and she had no clue what to say or do. 

She finally said a lot of crying and pleading, that she was gonna put a request for reschedule (usually you can only put this request 2 days or more BEFORE the interview not when you didn't show up). I read a post here that someone got denied for being late 4 hours, and had to see a lawyer (It is also mentioned on the USCIS website).

The lady said the request would take 15 days to be assigned to an officer and another 30 days to get a response, which in case of approval it is at the discretion of the local office to pick when this interview would take place. Also informed me that even If I go I won't be admitted in without a valid date on the appointment letter.

So I went on and drove 3 hours to San Antonio to the USCIS on Friday, I just needed someone to tell me that I won't be denied or put as abandoned, I needed a little hope! After I got there the officer wouldn't let us in because the Interview letter had an old date, we explained what happened, and after some crying he let us in and pointed us to a lady officer. 

The Lady was super nice and told us it was nothing and it happens all the time also informed us that we did good by calling right after to schedule and that all we needed is a valid reason for not showing up. She had me write a letter to the scheduling clerk and took my number and DL. also told me that she would have got us interviewed if she didn't have an important appointment and also There is no interviews on Fridays. but she gave us reassurance.

3 weeks later I could not stand not hearing anything and did an INFOPASS appointment and went there again, hoping 

we would get in for an interview... Long story short we drove 7 hours round-trip for nothing because the moment we headed home we found an appointment letter for the 20th of March!!!!

I made 4 copies of the interview letter, framed it in my office, put it everywhere on the house. Just to make sure we were not missing this one again. 

The appointment was the day before yesterday, The Officer was the nicest person on the planet, we felt like we were talking to a friend telling him funny stories about our marriage and life here rather than speaking to a federal officer, He asked me all those questions about terrorism and criminal record, than asked to keep joint assets proof, then told me I was approved. Like I said it was fast and fun! He kept asking us if we would like to ask him any questions over and over and explained everything in detail also gave me information about future process and what to do if I wanted to apply for citizenship in the future!! It was a good experience all in all.

Moral of this long story!!!! READ YOUR DATES OVER AND OVER AND OVER LOL.

Oh wow, that's crazy! So much time spent on this. I'm happy for you that it all turned out well. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We had our interview last Tuesday and I got frustrated after it. In general that went well. Before the interview an officer gave me to sign up a notice to conditional permanent residents about removal conditions. She verified my info from the form, yes/no questions. Then couple of questions about our relationship, then she wrote down whole timeline of our meetings before I arrived for marriage. Those questions seemed to me very standard and even boring. Nothing specific or going into details.

Then she asked me if I've ever had j1 visa. Yes I had 12 years ago and according to it, I wasn't subject for 2 year rule (that was Work and travel). But even if I was 10 years I spent in country of residence. What's the matter?? And then she said that she needs to see that I am good about that visa. She has to see either the visa (which I didn't have) or some papers about it. She complained that embassy didn't put that paper in our case though they put several copies of medical exam. After I repeated several times "2006 was the year I used it", she suddenly said: oh...  then you're good, nothing to worry about.

After all she took taxes, bank statements and couple of pictures with parents. We asked how long we have to wait. She answered 30 days probably less. Is everything good ? Yes, everything is good about the case. 

And after this status didn't change. I got frustrated because I didn't understand if it meant approval or again some checks? Feel tired and frustrated :(  Don't know what to think about it. If anybody has some thoughts or suggestions, would be appreciated

3 hours ago, H-I said:

We had our interview last Tuesday and I got frustrated after it. In general that went well. Before the interview an officer gave me to sign up a notice to conditional permanent residents about removal conditions. She verified my info from the form, yes/no questions. Then couple of questions about our relationship, then she wrote down whole timeline of our meetings before I arrived for marriage. Those questions seemed to me very standard and even boring. Nothing specific or going into details.

Then she asked me if I've ever had j1 visa. Yes I had 12 years ago and according to it, I wasn't subject for 2 year rule (that was Work and travel). But even if I was 10 years I spent in country of residence. What's the matter?? And then she said that she needs to see that I am good about that visa. She has to see either the visa (which I didn't have) or some papers about it. She complained that embassy didn't put that paper in our case though they put several copies of medical exam. After I repeated several times "2006 was the year I used it", she suddenly said: oh...  then you're good, nothing to worry about.

After all she took taxes, bank statements and couple of pictures with parents. We asked how long we have to wait. She answered 30 days probably less. Is everything good ? Yes, everything is good about the case. 

And after this status didn't change. I got frustrated because I didn't understand if it meant approval or again some checks? Feel tired and frustrated :(  Don't know what to think about it. If anybody has some thoughts or suggestions, would be appreciated

I'm sure you'll be okay, I've heard it can sometimes take a few weeks even if they don't need anything else from you. From what you've said it really does seem like the interview went just fine. Mine's next Thursday and I also had a J-1 visa back in 2014, but never really thought anyone would ask about it. Now your story gave me an incentive to track down my old passport number so that I can at least have the i94 and my travel history ready. Thank you so much for sharing this info and good luck! Hope it won't be too long before you get your GC! :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
54 minutes ago, kris.n said:

I'm sure you'll be okay, I've heard it can sometimes take a few weeks even if they don't need anything else from you. From what you've said it really does seem like the interview went just fine. Mine's next Thursday and I also had a J-1 visa back in 2014, but never really thought anyone would ask about it. Now your story gave me an incentive to track down my old passport number so that I can at least have the i94 and my travel history ready. Thank you so much for sharing this info and good luck! Hope it won't be too long before you get your GC! :dance:

Glad that it's helpful. I couldn't even think of this as a problem. Because nobody even cared about that j1 before, and I almost threw that passport away because it's super old. But for you  it would be good to have that visa at the interview with statement that you are not a subject of 2 year rule. I found that phrase typed on my visa but after interview unfortunately.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

We returned the Medical RFE on the 19th and it was signed for on the 20th, now just waiting . I would think if they needed anything else they would have asked for it in the original RFE form.

Edited by Troy P
Lifting Conditions
Event Date
CIS Office : YSC
Date Filed : 2020-03-04
NOA Date : 2020-03-10
RFE(s) :  
Bio. Appt. : 2020-05-13 Case updated without Bio Appointment
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Timeline

Approval received today...

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
RFE(s) :  
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, Lupigirl said:

That’s awesome! Congratulations!That’s awesome! Congratulations!

Hi! Is your office in Phoenix? Have you received any news on your case? (Interview or approval.)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, AskerBRfromAZ said:

Hi! Is your office in Phoenix? Have you received any news on your case? (Interview or approval.)

Yes, Phoenix is my office and no, I haven’t heard a thing.  You got your interview scheduled, right?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lupigirl said:

Yes, Phoenix is my office and no, I haven’t heard a thing.  You got your interview scheduled, right?

Nopers. Did my biometrics back in June and still nothing.

Timeline
1 minute ago, AskerBRfromAZ said:

Nopers. Did my biometrics back in June and still nothing.

Oh, sorry, I was mixing you up with someone else.  I did biometrics June 1st.  Was really expecting to hear something by now, but at least I’m not the only one waiting!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lupigirl said:

Oh, sorry, I was mixing you up with someone else.  I did biometrics June 1st.  Was really expecting to hear something by now, but at least I’m not the only one waiting!

Really? I did it on the same day as you! Maybe you saw me there. haha 

I hope we hear something at around the same time.

Timeline
3 hours ago, AskerBRfromAZ said:

Really? I did it on the same day as you! Maybe you saw me there. haha 

I hope we hear something at around the same time.

Ha!  Maybe we were there at the same time!  Yes, let’s hope we get some news soon.

Timeline

My wife's Green Card was received yesterday before the actual approval receipt

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
RFE(s) :  
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.