cybermax

N-400 Filers who got stuck or delayed in Background / Name Check.

411 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

my wife is in the same boat. We both had out Biometrics on 01/25/2017 and I got an "in line for interview on 02/06/2017" and she is yet to get it. No idea whats delaying her background check

Filed: Timeline
On 3/31/2017 at 1:02 PM, zooropa said:

Day 313 No news...

Did you try to take any actions to push the process? I heard some people said that if the background check exceeds 120 days, there are something you could do. But I'm not sure what they are.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, cybermax said:

Did you try to take any actions to push the process? I heard some people said that if the background check exceeds 120 days, there are something you could do. But I'm not sure what they are.

Contacted Senator, Ombudsman, Congresspeople...USCIS...no change since fingerprints

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, zooropa said:

Contacted Senator, Ombudsman, Congresspeople...USCIS...no change since fingerprints

Hi,

I'd hate to be in your shoes and frankly, I'm afraid I will be.

Regardless, I'd like to know specifics, if I can, regarding your case specifically:

1. After how many days did you contact USCIS? Have they formalized a response? Have you tried again?

2. After how many days did you contact your elected officials? I understand that their response was, we're still awaiting the FBI background check. Did you try again?

3. How did you contact the ombudsman? What was their response? Have you tried again?

Ultimately, what is their response to the fact that this is unusual and other background checks are near instantaneous?   

What is your recourse now? Wait? Picket outside? Get a local news station involved?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
On 3/30/2017 at 8:07 AM, austindude said:

my wife is in the same boat. We both had out Biometrics on 01/25/2017 and I got an "in line for interview on 02/06/2017" and she is yet to get it. No idea whats delaying her background check

What is your wife's PD Priority Date?

Timeline
11 hours ago, maninflorida said:

Hi,

I'd hate to be in your shoes and frankly, I'm afraid I will be.

Regardless, I'd like to know specifics, if I can, regarding your case specifically:

1. After how many days did you contact USCIS? Have they formalized a response? Have you tried again?

2. After how many days did you contact your elected officials? I understand that their response was, we're still awaiting the FBI background check. Did you try again?

3. How did you contact the ombudsman? What was their response? Have you tried again?

Ultimately, what is their response to the fact that this is unusual and other background checks are near instantaneous?   

What is your recourse now? Wait? Picket outside? Get a local news station involved?

Thank you.

Its been a long wait, day 318 with no news yet..very difficult to plan any trips for fear of missing any notices.

1. I have contacted USCIS over a dozen times since around Sept 2016.  Always the same answer  "A review of our records indicates that the required investigation into your background remains pending. Until the background investigation is completed, USCIS cannot move forward on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.  These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking. USCIS will make every effort to make a decision on this case as soon as the background checks are complete." 

But they did give me a real response in Feb 2017 "Your case remains in background checks due to a high volume of cases being processed,  and a severe backlog."

2. I have contacted my elected officials on average three times for each official. (4 Officials).   I stated what the USCIS had told me, and asked them to look into my case with the FBI, all of them sent a letter restating what the USCIS had already told me.  I then again asked all of these officials to contact the FBI, some asked for me to resend a new release which I did, but after two to three months now,  I remain waiting.

3. I filled out the necessary paperwork for the Ombudsman,  and received a notice that the USCIS states that my "case is still in background checks, and that they will notify me when the USCIS responds further, and if I hear from the USCIS first, to notify them".  After waiting around 45 days, I asked them for an update.  They had no new updates for me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, zooropa said:

Its been a long wait, day 318 with no news yet..very difficult to plan any trips for fear of missing any notices.

1. I have contacted USCIS over a dozen times since around Sept 2016.  Always the same answer  "A review of our records indicates that the required investigation into your background remains pending. Until the background investigation is completed, USCIS cannot move forward on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.  These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking. USCIS will make every effort to make a decision on this case as soon as the background checks are complete." 

But they did give me a real response in Feb 2017 "Your case remains in background checks due to a high volume of cases being processed,  and a severe backlog."

2. I have contacted my elected officials on average three times for each official. (4 Officials).   I stated what the USCIS had told me, and asked them to look into my case with the FBI, all of them sent a letter restating what the USCIS had already told me.  I then again asked all of these officials to contact the FBI, some asked for me to resend a new release which I did, but after two to three months now,  I remain waiting.

3. I filled out the necessary paperwork for the Ombudsman,  and received a notice that the USCIS states that my "case is still in background checks, and that they will notify me when the USCIS responds further, and if I hear from the USCIS first, to notify them".  After waiting around 45 days, I asked them for an update.  They had no new updates for me.

Well, that's disheartening. One question, have you ever thought of doing a background check on yourself?

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

I literally googled this today, so I have no idea if this works. I guess you can do it yourself or contact a third party company to do it. However, my theory would be, if you run a background check on yourself, out of your own pocket, you could potentially see if the FBI thinks your name is tainted? Perhaps someone with the same name is messing up your application, and hypothetically, if they had an arrest in DD/MM/YYYY, and if you could prove that you were thousands of miles away, this could be the hurdle you'd need to clear.

Other than that I've got nothing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I just received a status update that my interview has been scheduled and they have mailed the interview notice on April 6.

Spouse application continues to be in Biometric scheduled stage though we both had the bio-metrics done at the same time

Timeline
18 hours ago, maninflorida said:

Well, that's disheartening. One question, have you ever thought of doing a background check on yourself?

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

I literally googled this today, so I have no idea if this works. I guess you can do it yourself or contact a third party company to do it. However, my theory would be, if you run a background check on yourself, out of your own pocket, you could potentially see if the FBI thinks your name is tainted? Perhaps someone with the same name is messing up your application, and hypothetically, if they had an arrest in DD/MM/YYYY, and if you could prove that you were thousands of miles away, this could be the hurdle you'd need to clear.

Other than that I've got nothing.

Well,  judging by what I have been seeing on other websites,  and also this website's postings  "Slowdown in USCIS N400 Processing " and "USCIS taking forever to schedule interview " it appears that the slowdown is widespread.  It It does show delays for some people...and combined with the return of a large number of cases to the FBI, this makes sense.

A quick update here: still in the fingerprint blackhole. I got my biometrics done on 01/18. I am tempted to submit an official USCIS case inquiry. Almost nearing the end 90-day inquiry window. Thoughts?  

On 4/7/2017 at 1:58 PM, zooropa said:

Well,  judging by what I have been seeing on other websites,  and also this website's postings  "Slowdown in USCIS N400 Processing " and "USCIS taking forever to schedule interview " it appears that the slowdown is widespread.  It It does show delays for some people...and combined with the return of a large number of cases to the FBI, this makes sense.

@zooropa - you may want to consider this: http://www.trackitt.com/usa-discussion-forums/n400/1739795093/thank-you-james-hacking-with-pending-n400-since-15-months

You're definitely nearing a year mark very soon. From the same forum, I learned if you have extensive remittance record to your home country, or had an interview with FBI, you're more likely to be flagged for an extensive background check. I traveled a lot and also send monthly remittances to my parents back home, which I think is common among many of applicants. Just a thought. Udachi! 

Edited by SimpaticoJT

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
1 hour ago, SimpaticoJT said:

A quick update here: still in the fingerprint blackhole. I got my biometrics done on 01/18. I am tempted to submit an official USCIS case inquiry. Almost nearing the end 90-day inquiry window. Thoughts?  

When is your priority/NOA1 date?

3 hours ago, SimpaticoJT said:

My biometrics done on 1/30. I haven't heard anything yet. I'm so depressed now. Seems like we have you wait at least a year. If you know any action that we could do after 90 days window, please let me know.

Edited by cybermax

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.