3,975 posts in this topic

Just now, KimberleyVDB said:

I don't know much about I130 but from my understanding only K1 visa holders can get an interview waiver. Don't know about other visa holders when filing AOS

oh really? interesting because thats what it said in my letter for when they sent me info for my biometrics appt. so maybe im in the wrong forum :s coz we filed an i175 - which is removal of conditions. i feel like this process is back to square 1 like first applying! Thanks @KimberleyVDB

USCIS PROCESSING

Dec 15th 14 I-130 Filed with Chicago Lockbox
Dec 18th 14 Package received by USCIS - PRIORITY DATE
Dec 22nd 14 Received NOA1 - Sent to Vermont Service Center
Jan 14th 15 Received NOA2. Case Approved with no RFEs
..............................................................................................................................
NVC PROCESSING

Feb 20th 15 Case/IIN No assigned by NVC - allocated to Montreal Consulate
Feb 27TH 15 Received letter from NVC
Mar 1st 15 DS-261 Completed and submitted to NVC
Mar 10th 15 Paid AOS
Apr 3rd 15 Receive IV Bill + Paid IV Bill
Apr 8th 15 IV Fee left bank marked as paid
Apr 8th 15 DS-260 Completed
Apr 9th 15 Sent in IV & AOS packages
Apr 13th 15 Package delivered to NVC
Apr 13th 15 Received email from NVC acknowledging receipt - scan date
May 12th 15 Case Complete with NO Checklist (29 DAYS)
..............................................................................................................................
MONTREAL CONSULATE PROCESSING

May 15th 15 Case sent to Montreal embassy
May 27th 15 Medical in Toronto ,ON
Jun 17th 15 Interview Date in Montreal - APPROVED!!!!
Jul 2nd 15 ISSUED !!!! - CEAC STATUS UPDATE
Jul 6th 15 Visa in FINAL PROCESSING - CEAC STATUS UPDATE
Jul 8th 15 Email from Loomis/Waybill received
Jul 10th 15 Visa Received IN HAND!!!
Jul 13th 15 Point of Entry in Buffalo, NY

39 minutes ago, Zirq said:

oh really? interesting because thats what it said in my letter for when they sent me info for my biometrics appt. so maybe im in the wrong forum :s coz we filed an i175 - which is removal of conditions. i feel like this process is back to square 1 like first applying! Thanks @KimberleyVDB

I most be wrong. I kinda assumed that you where filing for AOS and not removal of conditions because most people on here are just at that stage and not as far as you are. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
9 hours ago, Zirq said:

yeah i think you are on the wrong topic if you already filed for removal of conditions... this is a topic for people who filed AOS in March 2017... If u already filed for removal of conditions that means you have the 10 year green card already(if you are done with removal of conditions) or at least have the 2 year one which means you are done with the processes most people are talking about on this topic... best of luck with the rest of your process...

just your typical immigrant LOL!!!

Timeline so far:

May 23rd    : Sent i-485, i-130&130A, i-131 and i-765 along with supporting documents at around 6PM via UPS next morning delivery.

May 24th    : USCIS received packet at 10 AM.

May 31st    : 4 texts and emails NOAs for all the applications and signed up for case status account.

June 2nd    : NOAs in the mail.

June 9th     : Bio-metrics appointment notice dated June 2nd. Appointment scheduled for June 20th.

June 12th   : Bio-metrics done, Walked in with an infopass appointment that nobody asked for. They didn't even ask why i was coming in early.

The person who dealt with me was very nice and welcoming.

July 3rd       : At 11AM received an email saying your case status has changed to interview is scheduled for August 2nd...

August 2nd : Attended interview was approved on the spot... IO was nice professional and polite but not friendly...

August 10th : At 2PM received my Green card in the mail!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
18 hours ago, KimberleyVDB said:

I don't know much about I130 but from my understanding only K1 visa holders can get an interview waiver. Don't know about other visa holders when filing AOS

AOS w/ i-130: From a mass of experiences on VJ and was told by USCIS that i-130 based will get an interview but I do also read of anecdotal cases where the interview has been waived. 

ROC after i-130:  Reads as though the process is the same as an ROC

Edited by Babigau

AOS Journey

03/07/17: I-130, I-485, & I-765 packet sent via FEDEX

03/08/17: Received by USCIS @ 3rd Floor Chicago

03/21/17: NOA e-notifcation of I-130, I-485, & I-765

: Online Status I-130,I-765 received on 3/8 and I-485 fingerprint fee accepted 3/15

03/21/17: Received hard-copies of all 4 NOAs in the mail 

03/31/17: Received biometrics appointment letter

04/07/17: Bio-metrics appointment

06/21/17: EAD: "New Card Is Being Produced"

06/26/17: EAD: "On 6/23 Card Has Been Mailed "

06/27/17: EAD Received

08/14/17: Received hard copy of Interview Scheduled Notice (no online updates)

08/15/17: Received Interview Scheduled Notice via TXT & Email

09/13/17: Interview @ Los Angeles Downtown Office; AOS approved & card ordered

09/15/17: AOS "On 9/15 Card Has Been Mailed"

AOS ROC Journey

(8/16/19) Package sent to Phoenix via FedEx

(8/19/19) Fedex signed for by USCIS 8/19

(8/23/19) Case Recieved text message; NOA1 Notice Date 8/19/19

So has anyone else here had the issue that when they went to get their new DL license done the DMV office had problems reading and verifying the EAD card??? I, as always, belong to the lucky ones who after finally having the EAD after 142 days of waiting can't get the DL because according to the DMV all offices with old card readers can't read the new EAD cards (although I have the old EAD layout so I don't know whether she just in general meant that the card is too new because it just recently was produced). Now I have to wait potentially another 90-120 days until the DMV verifies my immigration status with USCIS...

The weird thing however was, that when I complained that I have a job I have to drive to the lady said that I am fine driving with my German DL. I told her multiple times that it doesn't say so on the offical DMV site because now, with having my EAD, I am officially considered a resident who’s supposed to have the CA DL. She said I would be fine showing the paper that I am currently in the process of getting my CA DL. Any thoughts on this? I’m a little hesitant to believe that a police officer would agree with this statement and not fine me for driving without vaild DL.  

Edited by Californiansunset

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

So has anyone else here had the issue that when they went to get their new DL license done the DMV office had problems reading and verifying the EAD card??? I, as always, belong to the lucky ones who after finally having the EAD after 142 days of waiting can't get the DL because according to the DMV all offices with old card readers can't read the new EAD cards (although I have the old EAD layout so I don't know whether she just in general meant that the card is too new because it just recently was produced). Now I have to wait potentially another 90-120 days until the DMV verifies my immigration status with USCIS...

The weird thing however was, that when I complained that I have a job I have to drive to the lady said that I am fine driving with my German DL. I told her multiple times that it doesn't say so on the offical DMV site because now, with having my EAD, I am officially considered a resident who’s supposed to have the CA DL. She said I would be fine showing the paper that I am currently in the process of getting my CA DL. Any thoughts on this? I’m a little hesitant to believe that a police officer would agree with this statement and not fine me for driving without vaild DL.  

Yep. I had the same problem when I went to DMV. They couldn't read my card DMV system and USCIS are connected and they couldn't get any hit. The lady told me to call USCIS and ask what was the problem. So I did. The person from USCIS told me that DMV normally has to fill in form G-845 and send to USCIS it's the verification request... but I didn't went back to the same DMV instead I went to another DMV 3 days later and they had no problem with my EAD card... 

DMV also told me that it will take up to 3 months to verify with USCIS, but the person I talked to from USCIS said that it normally takes 1 week. So idk. 

Edited by Ariii

8 minutes ago, Ariii said:

Yep. I had the same problem when I went to DMV. They couldn't read my card DMV system and USCIS are connected and they couldn't get any hit. The lady told me to call USCIS and ask what was the problem. So I did. The person from USCIS told me that DMV normally has to fill in form G-845 and send to USCIS it's the verification request... but I didn't went back to the same DMV instead I went to another DMV 3 days later and they had no problem with my EAD card... 

DMV also told me that it will take up to 3 months to verify with USCIS, but the person I talked to from USCIS said that it normally takes 1 week. So idk. 

THanks so much for the fast response! My problem is that there's no appointment for the next three weeks at any of the other DMVs and they are pretty far away too. I also can't just constantly come into work so late so I'm right now kind of leaning towards waiting for the verification from USCIS... but if I would know that I will have to wait for 90 days I'd of course go to a different office... The lady at my DMV said that officially it says that I can inquire about the verification after 90 days the earliest, but it generally doesn't take that long and if I'm lucky I could get it after one week already (so the same thing what USCIS told you). I guess I'll wait one week and if I don't have it by then I'll go to a different DMV. I just have the feeling that with my luck the next DMV I go to they also only going to have the same old card readers. Anyone from SAn Diego here who didn't have this problem at a certain DMV???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Californiansunset said:

My combo card is the new version one and I didn't have any problems getting my DL with it. 
However, I was only renewing my driving licence, and not getting a brand new one. Also, I lived in CA and TX and applied for DL in both states, and CA was a pain in the butt. 

As far as no appointments being available in near future, most of the offices take walk-in customers. Downfall of that is you'll have to wait in the line outside.

Edited by Kalciaa

Timeline
2 hours ago, Californiansunset said:

2 hours ago, Ariii said:

22 minutes ago, Kalciaa said:

My combo card is the new version one and I didn't have any problems getting my DL with it. 
However, I was only renewing my driving licence, and not getting a brand new one. Also, I lived in CA and TX and applied for DL in both states, and CA was a pain in the butt. 

As far as no appointments being available in near future, most of the offices take walk-in customers. Downfall of that is you'll have to wait in the line outside.

I would suggest going to a different DMV office immediately and bringing your NOAs as well as your EAD card and try to get a DL and don't worry about appointments at all coz DMVs will take walk ins, you might just have to wait in line a little longer, and in my experience the smaller DMV offices which are out of the way are your best bet at getting better service as they are not as stressed out with the amount of people passing thru there every day... I live in NY state so when i got here i understood i had to get a NY state drivers license within a year or so of getting here and i was free to use my Indian driver's license(as long as it is in English, which mine is) to drive till then... When i went to the least busy DMV office near me to get a Drivers license the lady there was very helpful but i still needed soooo many different documents as i didn't have an SSN yet and i kept coming up short with like 1 more document needed every time and then finally the lady decided to help me out and told me to keep driving with my Indian DL till i get my GC and when i asked her in surprise if I am allowed to do that, she said, if I was pulled over by an officer just show my Indian DL and they wont actually ask how long i have been here or what my immigration status is... but this is in NY state i don't know if the same holds true in California... I have been pulled over twice since I came to the US, once when i was on my F1 visa and once after I started the AOS process and each time the only question the Police officer asked after seeing my Indian DL was whether I had any NY state ID and when I said no they didn't ask about anything else... BTW I drive like a Grandma most of the time and both times I was pulled over was for going more than 10 miles under the speed limit and the Police officers thought i was drunk both times LOL!!! I would never drink and drive and jeopardize my immigration process lol... BTW according to a friend who was here on F1 and went back to India, its actually better to drive with your old country's DL as the officer would be less inclined to give you a Ticket apparently... I don't know whether to believe him or not...

P.S. the people at the DMV should be able to process it faster than 90 days and if you really need it I would suggest going there as often as you can and bothering them till they give it to you LOL...

Edited by nikaero

Timeline so far:

May 23rd    : Sent i-485, i-130&130A, i-131 and i-765 along with supporting documents at around 6PM via UPS next morning delivery.

May 31st    : 4 texts and emails NOAs for all the applications and signed up for case status account.

June 9th     : Bio-metrics appointment notice dated June 2nd. Appointment scheduled for June 20th.

June 12th   : Bio-metrics done, Walked in with an infopass appointment that nobody asked for. They didn't even ask why i was coming in early.

July 3rd       : At 11AM received an email saying your case status has changed to interview is scheduled for August 2nd...

August 2nd : Attended interview was approved on the spot... IO was nice professional and polite but not friendly...

8 minutes ago, nikaero said:

I would suggest going to a different DMV office immediately and bringing your NOAs as well as your EAD card and try to get a DL and don't worry about appointments at all coz DMVs will take walk ins, you might just have to wait in line a little longer, and in my experience the smaller DMV offices which are out of the way are your best bet at getting better service as they are not as stressed out with the amount of people passing thru there every day... I live in NY state so when i got here i understood i had to get a NY state drivers license within a year or so of getting here and i was free to use my Indian driver's license(as long as it is in English, which mine is) to drive till then... When i went to the least busy DMV office near me to get a Drivers license the lady there was very helpful but i still needed soooo many different documents as i didn't have an SSN yet and i kept coming up short with like 1 more document needed every time and then finally the lady decided to help me out and told me to keep driving with my Indian DL till i get my GC and when i asked her in surprise if I am allowed to do that, she said, if I was pulled over by an officer just show my Indian DL and they wont actually ask how long i have been here or what my immigration status is... but this is in NY state i don't know if the same holds true in California... I have been pulled over twice since I came to the US, once when i was on my F1 visa and once after I started the AOS process and each time the only question the Police officer asked after seeing my Indian DL was whether I had any NY state ID and when I said no they didn't ask about anything else... BTW I drive like a Grandma most of the time and both times I was pulled over was for going more than 10 miles under the speed limit and the Police officers thought i was drunk both times LOL!!! I would never drink and drive and jeopardize my immigration process lol... BTW according to a friend who was here on F1 and went back to India, its actually better to drive with your old country's DL as the officer would be less inclined to give you a Ticket apparently... I don't know whether to believe him or not...

P.S. the people at the DMV should be able to process it faster than 90 days and if you really need it I would suggest going there as often as you can and bothering them till they give it to you LOL...

I had all NOAs with me and also the approval letters and that didn't help. The problem with the no appointments is that I potentially have to wait hours (Ive been to the DMV so often when I lived here a year on a B1 visa) and I can't just constantly do that bc of work and even more important my husband can't drive me around like that bc he really needs to be at 9am at the office the latest. I actually went to the smaller office today that is kind of outside of San Diego city in Clairemont. I actually think that the small office mightve been the poor choice since the bigger ones probably have the new card reader. 

Yeah I heard that NY is very lenient about the use of foreign DL and as you said even allows it for up to a year (not in Cali though). CAlifornia is super strict and ive read horror stories on VJ before of members that got caught with their foreign DL and got the $1,000 ticket in court for driving without valid license, the car was impounded for 30 days and I think even a citation. I was thinking the same what you said. When i get pulled over, show my passport and hope that they just think that I'm a tourist. I was told though that they usually ask who's car it is you're driving... so I would say it's my husbands...well and then comes the question why I don't have a state ID if I live with my husband here and so on... 

I probably call after a week and then keep on calling them until i have as that seems the easiest right now. All other DMVs are an hour drive away with the traffic in the morning, plus the wait time without appointment... I just can't do that with my job. THey're pretty chill but not THAT chill ;) Thanks for your help!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

I had all NOAs with me and also the approval letters and that didn't help. The problem with the no appointments is that I potentially have to wait hours (Ive been to the DMV so often when I lived here a year on a B1 visa) and I can't just constantly do that bc of work and even more important my husband can't drive me around like that bc he really needs to be at 9am at the office the latest. I actually went to the smaller office today that is kind of outside of San Diego city in Clairemont. I actually think that the small office mightve been the poor choice since the bigger ones probably have the new card reader. 

Yeah I heard that NY is very lenient about the use of foreign DL and as you said even allows it for up to a year (not in Cali though). CAlifornia is super strict and ive read horror stories on VJ before of members that got caught with their foreign DL and got the $1,000 ticket in court for driving without valid license, the car was impounded for 30 days and I think even a citation. I was thinking the same what you said. When i get pulled over, show my passport and hope that they just think that I'm a tourist. I was told though that they usually ask who's car it is you're driving... so I would say it's my husbands...well and then comes the question why I don't have a state ID if I live with my husband here and so on... 

I probably call after a week and then keep on calling them until i have as that seems the easiest right now. All other DMVs are an hour drive away with the traffic in the morning, plus the wait time without appointment... I just can't do that with my job. THey're pretty chill but not THAT chill ;) Thanks for your help!

yeah, just like i though everyone's experience would be different with the same process but in different states... the second time i was pulled over was actually 4 years after I got here and on both occasions he did ask who the car belonged to and on both occasions I said its my girlfriend's, the second time it was an accident as i was so used to referring to her as my girlfriend and we had been married for just under a week but i didn't try to correct myself, i don't know whether that was the right thing to do or not but anyways didn't get into any trouble... I guess the nature of the officer pulling you over and the reason why you get pulled over will have the biggest impacts on the situation, like i said i was pulled over both times because they though i was drunk seeing how slow i was driving LOL, but the moment they came to my window it was clear as day that I had not been drinking so I guess they didn't really care about anything else... The first time i was pulled over i told the officer i was driving around coz my roommate had a girl over and wanted the whole apartment to himself(which was true) and i was driving around to kill some time and he thought that was hilarious and we had a nice chat and he told me that i was a good friend for doing that lol... The DMV office situation totally depends on the particular office and the person who deals with you of course, the DMV that i went to was the same one i went to register my car before it was totaled in an accident and i had never been there with more than 4 people waiting in line so i cannot imagine how much harder it is for you....

Timeline so far:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I've had no trouble getting my NY license once I had my EAD. Took one try and the DMV close by is usually not very busy either. I was able to take my written test, take my picture and get everything filled out in less than an hour. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a notice in the mail today saying my AP was approved but nothing about my EAD! Anyone else encounter this?

And it was strange because I had changed my address online, but this has the forwarding sticker on it from USPS. It was addressed to our old apartment and forwarded to our house which I thought they couldn't do. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Keepchill said:

I got a notice in the mail today saying my AP was approved but nothing about my EAD! Anyone else encounter this?

And it was strange because I had changed my address online, but this has the forwarding sticker on it from USPS. It was addressed to our old apartment and forwarded to our house which I thought they couldn't do. 

that's surprising on both counts but i have seen at least one occasion listed on this forum of the AP notice or email coming and not the EAD but on that occasion i think the person received the combo card anyways he was surprised too as usually people get updates on their EADs and not their APs and when they get the card its usually an EAD/AP combo... the second part about the USPS rerouting is also surprising as i too read somewhere that they cant do that with USCIS letters... well i guess u just got lucky and avoided a 3 week delay while they reprocessed it... Lets just pray and hope that this doesn't happen with the actual card... best of luck with the rest of your process...

Timeline so far:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, nikaero said:

that's surprising on both counts but i have seen at least one occasion listed on this forum of the AP notice or email coming and not the EAD but on that occasion i think the person received the combo card anyways he was surprised too as usually people get updates on their EADs and not their APs and when they get the card its usually an EAD/AP combo... the second part about the USPS rerouting is also surprising as i too read somewhere that they cant do that with USCIS letters... well i guess u just got lucky and avoided a 3 week delay while they reprocessed it... Lets just pray and hope that this doesn't happen with the actual card... best of luck with the rest of your process...

Thanks for your response! I hope I have the same situation as the other person you mentioned and I get both! 

Just a little concerned about the address thing, I called and the agent said it can take up to 30 days for the address to change in their system. I changed our address on June 23, and the letter I received was postmarked on July 19 so not quite 30 days! I really hope that it's changed now, so if I do receive the EAD there are no issues with delivering it. I'm hoping and praying! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.