omeysgirl

How many of you used a lawyer to help you

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Im just curious as to how many of you used a lawyer. I didnt and now im wondering if I should have. I sent off the paperwork in Feb. and recieved the letter stating they received our petition. Now, we are just waiting for the next step. Im just worried that they could send it back if we didnt do it right. Also, what is NOA1 or NOA2. Ive seen that posted a few times and was curious. As you can see, im new here.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

NOA1= USCIS RECEIVED YOUR PETITION

NOA2=APPROVED PETITION

Im just curious as to how many of you used a lawyer. I didnt and now im wondering if I should have. I sent off the paperwork in Feb. and recieved the letter stating they received our petition. Now, we are just waiting for the next step. Im just worried that they could send it back if we didnt do it right. Also, what is NOA1 or NOA2. Ive seen that posted a few times and was curious. As you can see, im new here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most of here didn't use lawyers. There were no legal situations or complications for myself or fiancee that would have prompted me to utilize the services of an immigration attorney. I was fortunate enough to find this site and forum before starting the paperwork. I had most of it prepared before I visited my fiancee in February. After I returned home, it went out the next day after I had more evidence to support my petition.

Best thing to suggest is reading over the GUIDES and Visa FAQ to see what the next step is you're going to take. Welcome to VJ!

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I know I asked the same question myself early on - "This is important, and it's going to take a long time...so it it important that it is right. Can I do it without a trained professional ???" Reading other posts and my experience is that if you case does not have major complications, and you are willing to invest the time, doing it yourself can be better. Who is more motivated than you ? And you do not have to worry about your file sitting on someones desk with no action for a week !

For me, using all the resource VJ (sample form's, info in postings, etc) and double checking myself, seems to do the trick (so far, so good). There are periods of extended waiting, where you really are not going to be able to get good information on status and you have to be patient. That is one of the hard parts.

Good Luck !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you you guys for the quick responses. Now I feel better. I have another question, the NOA1 after that what happens? Will they send more paperwork to be filled out before they approve us. I read posts about them needing info about you financial situation. UGH! I hope not. NO more paperwork. Can someone specify?? Pleassse.

Thanks!

:blush:

Thank you you guys for the quick responses. Now I feel better. I have another question, the NOA1 after that what happens? Will they send more paperwork to be filled out before they approve us. I read posts about them needing info about you financial situation. UGH! I hope not. NO more paperwork. Can someone specify?? Pleassse.

Thanks!

:blush:

Good News

Between your NOA1 and NOA2 there should be no 'paperwork' - after the NOA2 there is and you're best served if you check out the K1 Flow Chart...gives you a at-a-glance look at the overall process and what to expect. :thumbs:

K1 Flowchart

Edited by Karin und Otto

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I used a Lawyer for my K-1 to insure that paper work was done correct the first time around.

I-751 10yr Green Card

01-07-10 Approval Letter for the 10yr Green Card

01-15-10 Production Email Regarding the Green Card from USCIS

01-28-10 Green Card received from USCIS

US Citizenship

10-19-10 Mailed N-400 packet to Texas via Priority Mail

10-22-10 Packet was delivered after being forwarded to Dallas

10-27-10 Check was finally cashed by USCIS

10-30-10 I-797C Notice of Action (NOA) Received

11-02-10 RFE Text Message, and Email Received (Must be the Biometrics)

11-08-10 Biometrics Letter Received for 11/17/2010

11-17-10 Biometrics was done with in five minutes of reaching at 8:00am

12-06-10 Testing, and Interview email status received via email from USCIS with information to expect a letter shortly with appoinment time.

1-13-11 Interview Passed with form N-652 checked [box A] with congrats you have been recommended for finally approval.

1-13-11 USCIS JAX officer said the Oath letter will come in two or three months.

2-23-11 Oath Ceremony Letter was received for March 17th for 9am in the GNV Federal Court House

3-17-11 Oath Certificate was received at the oath ceremony, and appointment made for US passport for Monday 3-21-11.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I used a lawyer also. The documents seemed very confusing and I have a couple of "red flags". My first marriage of 32 years ago was never filed in the county court. I discovered that when I went to get a copy of my divorce. I was married 2 times. My first divorce was not final untill after my second divorce. I am not sure if that will be a propblem or not. I wrote a letter explaining the whole thing.

Another reason for using a lawyer is that, for me, I did not think I had the time to do all this stuff. Turns out that I had to do it all anyway. The lawyer just checks your docs and tells you if you need any corrections. I think that if you have the time and are very careful filling out the forms and have no real "issues" and with this board, one can do this pretty easy.

I think there are many scam lawyers out there for the visa's. Some say they have a 100% success rate. You can look around on this site and see that is impossible. I chose one that was considerly more money then some. All seems to be good so far. But then again, we filed in Feb. thru CSC so it has been a waiting game. My using a lawyer has not really been tested yet as to whether it is smart. I just want this whole thing over and done with. Once you start this process time seems to stand still.

One reason not to use a lawyer.................this whole process is very expensive!!!! Put in the cost of travel to see your sweetie, cost of all the fees and WOW!!! I have been down to see Paola 6 times in the last year, going again in May, again for the interview, her ticket to the US (I hope), this becomes spendy. You could use the $$$$$$ spent on a lawyer for travel and fees.

Another cost comming my way. Paola has never been in weather less then about 80 deg. In fact she freezes to death when it gets close to that. Well here in Oregon, most of the year weare below that. I will need to buy her all new clothes. I can see her now..........it will be a beautiful 75 deg day and she will be bundled up like a Eskimo. LOL>LOL.

March 14, 2006.....We meet, spend the next 2 weeks togeather

May 2006............ I go to see Paola for 5 days and propose marriage

Jan. 24th, 2007....I-129F sent to CSC

Feb. 2nd, 2007.....CSC receives NOA1

June 6, 2007........I-129F Approved

June 6, 2007........Cleared NVC and sent to Bogota

June 12, 2007......I receive packet 3 from our lawyer

June 14, 2007..... I send Packet 3 to Paola via FEDEX (2 day delivery)

June 25, 2007......Paola receives Packet 3 (9 days late)

July 3, 2007.........Packet 3 Fedex to Embassy in Bogota

July 5, 2007.........Packet 3 arrives at the embassy in Bogota

July 19, 2007.......Called NVC, interveiw scheduled for Aug. 17, 2007

July 31, 2007.......Paola goes to US Embassy in Bogota and gets Pkt 4 in person

Aug. 13, 2007.....Lab exam

Aug. 15, 2007.....Medical exam

Aug. 17, 2007.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Failed cuz of a missing doc. :(

Sept. 27, 2007....Second interview date!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 7, 2007........Paola is here in the US!!

Oct. 23, 2007......MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 30, 2007......Mailed AOS docs

Nov. 27, 2007.....Recieved "Notice of Receipt" of AOS docs

Dec. 20, 2007.....Biometrics appointment

Feb. 7, 2008.......Recieve AP and permit to work

Feb. 19, 2008.....Recieve SS card

Another cost comming my way. Paola has never been in weather less then about 80 deg. In fact she freezes to death when it gets close to that. Well here in Oregon, most of the year weare below that. I will need to buy her all new clothes. I can see her now..........it will be a beautiful 75 deg day and she will be bundled up like a Eskimo. LOL>LOL.

Haha, Ombeni's like that, too! He's just going to have a blast with Wisconsin winters. :-p The first time I was in Tanzania, I was up in the mountains, and the air was probably in the mid-60s. I saw some guy sporting a shiny, bright pink snowsuit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

HAHAHA

ESJESSI

MY FIANCE IS COMING TO WISCONSIN FROM PERU

HAHAA

WOOOOOW

SHE IS IN FOR A NICE TREAT FOR THE WINTERS

FOR SURE

TANZANIA??? HMMMMM

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THERE?? I KNOW FROM A REGGAE SONG, BY A GUY FROM TANZANIA IN MINNEAPOLIS, HIS NAME IS INNOCENT. THAT MT. KILAMAJARO IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN AFRICA. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THERE TO SEE IT?? MUST BE AMAZING

omeysgirl,

There is more than 1 way to use a lawyer. I have consulted with immigration attornies on certain issues that concerned me about my wife's cases. I have not retained an attorney to work with us on any of her cases.

Yodrak

Thanks

we use lawyer...well my case is kinda more comlpicated..i overstayed a previous visa so i relly need one...but u dont relly need one if u dont have any problems..of course is good to have one...help u more...ceck all the files to see if is ok..help u if u got any problems...well..is your decision..i know alots of people who did everything without lawyer and they did great. good luck with your process!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I hired an attorney because I want everything done right the first time. It's going to take long enough to get him here - I don't want any delays because of paperwork errors.

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

No lawyers here....Nolo series Fiance & Marriage book!!!

Any & Mike

01/2004 Somewhere around this time we met online and spent two years chatting as friends.

07/04/2006 Things changed and our chat sessions heated up!!

11/18/2006 First visit to Lima, Peru (Any kissed me first!)

02/02/2007 Sent in I-129F

02/06/2007 Second visit to Lima.

02/12/2007 NOA 1

05/02/2007 NOA 2 email received

05/18/2007 Packet sent to Lima, Peru

05/21/2007 Received Letter from NVC

06/01/2007 Received Packet from Consulate (not sure what it's called)

06/22/2007 Interview Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.