pov5

K-1, requirement to present police certificates

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all, thanks for this advice forum and the useful answers all over, really helping. I have a question to add...

From the K-1 Visa instructions, I understand that I will be required to present a police certificate from the UK. That's fine, I can get that. But also, certificates from  'countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16'. Is such a certificate required do you think in my case:

I'm a UK citizen, living in the UK until aged 25;

Moved to Spain for 9 months;

UK for 3 months;

Then 11.5 months in Spain (With occasional trips back to the UK, and never a registered resident);

1 month in the US;

Spain for another 9 months before returning to the UK.

I'm unsure if the certificate is needed if I didn't ever stay abroad for 12 continuous months. And if it is required because of my living in Spain cumulatively for more than 12 months, does that count as I was always considered a resident of the UK, i.e. only residing in Spain temporarily for work.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone going through this process,

13 minutes ago, pov5 said:

Hi all, thanks for this advice forum and the useful answers all over, really helping. I have a question to add...

From the K-1 Visa instructions, I understand that I will be required to present a police certificate from the UK. That's fine, I can get that. But also, certificates from  'countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16'. Is such a certificate required do you think in my case:

UK for 3 months;

Then 11.5 months in Spain (With occasional trips back to the UK, and never a registered resident);

1 month in the US;

I'm unsure if the certificate is needed if I didn't ever stay abroad for 12 continuous months. And if it is required because of my living in Spain cumulatively for more than 12 months, does that count as I was always considered a resident of the UK, i.e. only residing in Spain temporarily for work.

Hey pov5! Hope all is well. Just want to share with you what the interviewer has asked me. She asked if I have lived for more than 6 months in other places apart from the Philippines and United Arab Emirates (where we processed the visa) and when i said no, she just asked for the UAE police clearance and my NBI clearance (from the Philippines). Seeing that you have lived in the UK til age 25 and have stayed in Spain for more than 6 months, I think the clearances you would need would be both from UK and Spain. How to obtain them both is the question. I myself had to fly back home to the Philippines to get an NBI Clearance and then head back to UAE to file for a police clearance. Hope this helps! Best of luck on your journey! :) 

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe it is anywhere you lived for 6 months or more honestly as I recall.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 hours ago, pov5 said:

UK for 3 months;

1 month in the US;

Hi pov5,

You sure need a police report from Spain and its pretty easy to get. It cost 3.70€. You can find all that you need to get it via this link.

https://madrid.usembassy.gov/mobile//visas/immigrant/spanishpolice.html

If you have any further questions just let me know.

All the best!

I would get a police certificate just to be safe. Part of me thinks you would be fine without one, because, like you, I read it as continuously living somewhere for more than 12 months, which you did not do. Combined over time, however, you did exceed that 12 month limit obviously, so it might be better to have it than not...at least that way if it's asked of you, you have it, and if not, from another commenter it seems to not be expensive to obtain, which is good news as the UK certificate is a rip off <_< :lol:

K-1  (134 Days)

10/24/16 I-129F Received
10/27/16 NOA 1
11/28/16 NOA 2
12/16/16 NVC Case Number

01/04/17 Case Ready!
02/16/17 Medical Appointment
03/07/17 Interview- APPROVED!

05/25/17 PO

koalafornia.gif.7dcdef8e779766ea5ce2f681e19e19fe.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 hours ago, wheresmykoala said:

I would get a police certificate just to be safe. Part of me thinks you would be fine without one, because, like you, I read it as continuously living somewhere for more than 12 months, which you did not do. Combined over time, however, you did exceed that 12 month limit obviously, so it might be better to have it than not...at least that way if it's asked of you, you have it, and if not, from another commenter it seems to not be expensive to obtain, which is good news as the UK certificate is a rip off <_< :lol:

Pure rip off?? I paid over £53 for it, couldn't believe i was paying for the same thing when I got the Spanish one done ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yeah you need a police report from spain cus you lived there for 9 months

California Service Center
2016-09-08-I-129f petition was received by USCIS
2016-09-12-NOA1 Text and Email
2016-09-16-NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2016-10-03-NOA2 Text and Email (21 days)
2016-10-04-NOA2 Hard Copy Received
2016-10-20-NVC Received (16 days)
2016-10-24-Case Number Received and Hard Copy
2016-10-25- Lagos Consulate Received
2016-11-08- Updated by the Embassy and said Ready for Interview
2017-01-10-Medical
2017-01-26-Interview-APPROVED
2017-01-31-Visa Issued
2017-02-06-Visa in Hand
2017-02-09- POE -- IAD 
Xu1rYa7NJo6b.jpgXu1rp1.png?t=1&C876mYOC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.