qingshuiyiju

Recent J1 waiver timeline 2017

277 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, traveler2017 said:

I suspected that I had no legitimate reasons to expedite the process.

USCIS on their website lists "significant financial loss" as one of the reasons for expediting the review process. Do you happen to know what do they mean by "significant"? Would missing a job opportunity be one of it? I have an offer with start date in August, not sure if the employer would be willing to wait.

Some people have used that argument and has worked to get the cases expedite.. for others hasnt..  But before you contact your senator/congressman you need to file the request to uscis.. if they fail to respond/grant it then you have basis to go up the ladder.. and even then.. it might not work..

Also August is around the corner.. so even if they expedite it it wont be on time for you to start then..

In order for you to expedite with uscis.. you need to call their customer service linea and explain why would not expediting this application would result into extreme finnancial lost

Live, love, laugh.. and try not to think too much about USCIS

1 hour ago, logisticamente said:

Some people have used that argument and has worked to get the cases expedite.. for others hasnt..  But before you contact your senator/congressman you need to file the request to uscis.. if they fail to respond/grant it then you have basis to go up the ladder.. and even then.. it might not work..

Also August is around the corner.. so even if they expedite it it wont be on time for you to start then..

In order for you to expedite with uscis.. you need to call their customer service linea and explain why would not expediting this application would result into extreme finnancial lost

No Objection Statement    Received    May, 15 2017

Recommendation    Sent    June, 19 2017

USCIS Received the case June, 27 2017

USCIS Accepted case June 30, 2017

I'm living outside of US and waiting for the waiver to apply for L1 visa.

16 minutes ago, traveler2017 said:

No Objection Statement    Received    May, 15 2017

Recommendation    Sent    June, 19 2017

USCIS Received the case June, 27 2017

USCIS Accepted case June 30, 2017

I'm living outside of US and waiting for the waiver to apply for L1 visa.

Oh! Ok. You know, if your company sends the application to USCIS they can do it with the DOS receipt you got. USCIS will approve both the L1 and the waiver at the same time. You might want to ask the lawyers involved if that is a possibility. Also, there is premium processing for L1 so if they do that, the L1 will take less than 2 weeks and then you have to go to the consulate for your stamp.

You could ask for an expedite of the waiver based on your company's extreme loss if you are not able to work for them in the States, rather than your loss. 

Good luck!

14 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Oh! Ok. You know, if your company sends the application to USCIS they can do it with the DOS receipt you got. USCIS will approve both the L1 and the waiver at the same time. You might want to ask the lawyers involved if that is a possibility. Also, there is premium processing for L1 so if they do that, the L1 will take less than 2 weeks and then you have to go to the consulate for your stamp.

You could ask for an expedite of the waiver based on your company's extreme loss if you are not able to work for them in the States, rather than your loss. 

Good luck!

thank you for the advice. I'm going to contact my company lawyers and ask for their assistance. It definitely sounds like a good idea. I will let you know how it goes!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I started my J1 waiver based on No Objection at the beginning of the year. I can now say I am over the first part and thought I would share my timeline for future applicants. A little background on my case and myself, I am married to a US citizen and am currently under my academic training which will expire at the end of September this year. Now the next step is to apply for Residency. Best of lucks to you all.

Item Action Date
Favorable Recommendation Sent August, 04 2017
No Objection Statement Received June, 20 2017
Marriage License Received June, 15 2017
Statement Of Reason Received February, 27 2017
Fee Received February, 23 2017
Form DS-3035 Received February, 23 2017
Form DS-2019 Received February, 23 2017
Passport Data Page Received February, 23 2017

Hi. I got the approval notice from USCIS! Wow that was fast (the USCIS part)

Here is my complete timeline:

Final Approval August 7 

USCIS NOA 1 August 2 (I received the letter, it was mailed July 28)

Recommendation Sent July, 20 2017

Sponsor Views Received July, 11 2017

Request for Sponsor Views Requested May, 04 2017

No Objection Statement Received April, 06 2017

Fee/DS-3035/DS-2019/Passport Data Page/Statement Of Reason/Other March, 23 2017

So USCIS received it July 26 and they approved it August 2. That was super fast. 

Some things:

(1) I had US funding by DOS. Don't take this as a "Oh, maybe I can get around by DOS funding". My case is extremely particular and an exception. I had a J1 for 20 days and as a government visitor. I was not Fulbright or an exchange student.  I never knew about the 2 year home residency requirement (though I didn't base my statement on this.) I had a job offer from an university, after doing a MA/PhD/Postdoc all with F1. I presented a letter from someone in my country saying how there are no jobs there and how it would benefit them if I take this job. 

(2) The sponsor submitted the views pretty fast but waiver division never got them or never processed them. So the file was sitting there for 2 months and I had to ask them to request the views again. But I already knew they were ready because I was able to contact the sponsor's office. If you have sponsor views and you have been waiting for a month, send en email to waiver division to request them again. Even better would be to contact the sponsor but within DOS that is very hard.

(3) Waiver division takes 7 days to reply an email. It is a waste of time to email them, unless you really need something important. Be very brief and specific about what you want. If you can add after that something of why it is important, it is better.

(4) Sending faxes is a waste of time unless you want a document added to your package. Faxing questions will get you nowhere (I tried). 

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

Hi. I got the approval notice from USCIS! Wow that was fast (the USCIS part)

Here is my complete timeline:

Final Approval August 7 

USCIS NOA 1 August 2 (I received the letter, it was mailed July 28)

Recommendation Sent July, 20 2017

Sponsor Views Received July, 11 2017

Request for Sponsor Views Requested May, 04 2017

No Objection Statement Received April, 06 2017

Fee/DS-3035/DS-2019/Passport Data Page/Statement Of Reason/Other March, 23 2017

So USCIS received it July 26 and they approved it August 2. That was super fast. 

Some things:

(1) I had US funding by DOS. Don't take this as a "Oh, maybe I can get around by DOS funding". My case is extremely particular and an exception. I had a J1 for 20 days and as a government visitor. I was not Fulbright or an exchange student.  I never knew about the 2 year home residency requirement (though I didn't base my statement on this.) I had a job offer from an university, after doing a MA/PhD/Postdoc all with F1. I presented a letter from someone in my country saying how there are no jobs there and how it would benefit them if I take this job. 

(2) The sponsor submitted the views pretty fast but waiver division never got them or never processed them. So the file was sitting there for 2 months and I had to ask them to request the views again. But I already knew they were ready because I was able to contact the sponsor's office. If you have sponsor views and you have been waiting for a month, send en email to waiver division to request them again. Even better would be to contact the sponsor but within DOS that is very hard.

(3) Waiver division takes 7 days to reply an email. It is a waste of time to email them, unless you really need something important. Be very brief and specific about what you want. If you can add after that something of why it is important, it is better.

(4) Sending faxes is a waste of time unless you want a document added to your package. Faxing questions will get you nowhere (I tried). 

:dance: Congrats

USCIS was fast indeed!!

Live, love, laugh.. and try not to think too much about USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Thanks a lot for all the information all of you are posting, I was a bit lost and thinking that there was something wrong with my J-1 waiver petition but now I see the process takes about 6 to 8 weeks, right?

My timeline is as follows:

May 9th - The DOS received all my documentation and fees

June 21st - I received the NOS

June 30th - The Dos received and update the website with the NOS received

And since then they didn't update anything, my case is Pending. I'm requesting the waiver because I got married with a US citizen and I would like to know if anybody else has been through this process of waiting for the waiver and then asking for the visa IR1 or CR1, and if you have any suggestion or recommendation. I've seen that you can apply for a H1b visa expedited but does anybody knows if you can do the same for the immigrant visa IR1 or CR1? And also anybody knows if once I get the favorable response by DOS if I can apply for the visa before I get an answer from USCIS? 

I'm not sure if anybody is in the same situation than me, but it would be of great help, I'm a teacher and I still don't have a contract because of my immigration status and I may lose the chance of work this year which would be really hard for me as I'm already been without working and had a lot of problems, because the lawyer I had previously disappeared. Besides, I'm going to ask these questions to my new lawyer so if someone is interested in know these things let me know! Thanks again and the best of luck for everybody!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
2 hours ago, Starrynight said:

Thanks a lot for all the information all of you are posting, I was a bit lost and thinking that there was something wrong with my J-1 waiver petition but now I see the process takes about 6 to 8 weeks, right?

And since then they didn't update anything, my case is Pending. I'm requesting the waiver because I got married with a US citizen and I would like to know if anybody else has been through this process of waiting for the waiver and then asking for the visa IR1 or CR1, and if you have any suggestion or recommendation. I've seen that you can apply for a H1b visa expedited but does anybody knows if you can do the same for the immigrant visa IR1 or CR1? And also anybody knows if once I get the favorable response by DOS if I can apply for the visa before I get an answer from USCIS? 

I'm not sure if anybody is in the same situation than me, but it would be of great help, I'm a teacher and I still don't have a contract because of my immigration status and I may lose the chance of work this year which would be really hard for me as I'm already been without working and had a lot of problems, because the lawyer I had previously disappeared. Besides, I'm going to ask these questions to my new lawyer so if someone is interested in know these things let me know! Thanks again and the best of luck for everybody!!!

Hi there,

Are you in Spain and need that visa to come in the US or are you adjusting status from within the US? I got confused with what you said about work.

If it's the latter I filed all forms without the waiver in hand but I had a receipt number from USCIS saying they had received my case. I will show the approved waiver at my interview.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
1 hour ago, tamaara said:

Hi there,

Are you in Spain and need that visa to come in the US or are you adjusting status from within the US? I got confused with what you said about work.

If it's the latter I filed all forms without the waiver in hand but I had a receipt number from USCIS saying they had received my case. I will show the approved waiver at my interview.

Hi Tamara,

I'm in the US, in Colorado, adjusting the status from here. I still didn't get the approval from DOS, but I calculated it, based on the information everybody is sharing and I should get it very soon, I really hope so. I'm waiting to see what my lawyer says but if you say that I can fill all the forms once USCIS confirm they got my case, this could make the process a little bit faster, so thank you so much for the information.

What I mean about my job situation is that all teaching positions are getting filled and I can't get a position because I still don't have my status changed and so far there's no any school that want to wait for me, so anything that I get to do to expedite the process right now it's of great help. Thanks again for your help!!! 

9 hours ago, Starrynight said:

1. You don't need a lawyer. Ask questions on VJ. They are just going to take your money and you don't seem to have a complex case.

2. If you are in the US, you don't have to get an IR1/CR1. You just have to AOS. Once DOS makes the decision and USCIS makes the decision, you submit the AOS paperwork. It takes ~120 to get the EAD. You can expedite it with a job offer but it is not clear how much less it will take. Otherwise, you will have to wait for the EAD and maybe get temp positions as a teacher.

3. If you are not in the US, you don't have to wait for the J1 waiver to apply for the spousal visa. You will need the waiver at the consulate stage. By then, which will be a year from now, you will have your waiver ready.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

1. You don't need a lawyer. Ask questions on VJ. They are just going to take your money and you don't seem to have a complex case.

2. If you are in the US, you don't have to get an IR1/CR1. You just have to AOS. Once DOS makes the decision and USCIS makes the decision, you submit the AOS paperwork. It takes ~120 to get the EAD. You can expedite it with a job offer but it is not clear how much less it will take. Otherwise, you will have to wait for the EAD and maybe get temp positions as a teacher.

3. If you are not in the US, you don't have to wait for the J1 waiver to apply for the spousal visa. You will need the waiver at the consulate stage. By then, which will be a year from now, you will have your waiver ready.

I sent my AOS paperwork without USCIS approval and it's going fine. But yes, the EAD card takes forever, I still haven't received it and I filed on May 8th.

Like I said before, I will bring the USCIS approved waiver to my interview. They took their sweet time to approve mine and I got it like a week after filing everything (you can check my timeline in my signature for more dates)

Starrynight, I think you will not be able to start teaching this fall.  Once you file for AOS you can expedite your EAD card usually with a job offer in hand, you will need proof.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi, I was wondering if someone with J1 Visa knows of a cheap insurance that only covers "medical evacuation" and "repatriation of remains"? My current insurance from work covers all the requirements except these two. Or, if you know of other cheap insurance that covers all and will let me buy on a month per month basis? 

Thanks!!

Hello guys,

I am currently applying for a J 1 Waiver based on NOS. This is my timeline:

• June 29, 2017: sent package to the DOS
  • July 18, 2017: DOS updated webpage with documents received
  • August 3, 2017: Embassy sent the NOS (Dominican Republic)
  • August 15, 2017: DOS updated webpage with documents received

And now waiting..I was hoping that the DOS would issue a favorable recommendation within two weeks..Is it really 6 to 8 weeks?

Thank you,

Ani

Edited by Anis0coria

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.