Messan

Overstay for my wedding or leave and come back?

49 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

First of all I'm very sorry if I chose the wrong forum. I'm new here and created an account just for this.

My case: I'm a Dutch citizen who is now in the US on Waiver Visa (vwp). I'm allowed to 90 days and have about 16 days left legally in the country. So far, no problem.

My boyfriend, a US Citizen, and I have decided to get married and we don't ever want to be apart ever again. However, the marriage can't happen in my remaining days (16 days), it could only happen if I overstay.

The news made us extremely sad, the financial consequences such as plane tickets, sending money abroad, etc will hurt us a lot, not too mention the incertainty around whatever is going on with new president Trump. After a friend mentioned that I could overstay, get married and filed, we started looking into the matter.

From what we understand from all our researches, it is possible as long as we can prove the marriage is real and there was no intent from the start.  We can easily prove that.

My question now is: based or your experiences or information that you have, what would you advice us? Overstay for a few days, get married and file for AOS (and prove the marriage is real and not pre-planned)? Or, leave the US soil, burn the little money we have on tickets, not knowing when I could return again, (because Customs officers at the airport might question why I came back so soon and return me), miss each others to death and coming with intent to marry?

In my case, would overstay hurt or it won't change anything?

PS: I can't get married right away, cause my divorce from my former (US Citizen) husband of nearly 5 years just got finalised.  There's a waiting period of 2 months (in that state) before I'm allowed to get married again. We were married for 5 years and I never filed as I did not intend to come live here. 

Please, your help and advice would be greatly welcomed. 

Thank you so much dear. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. 

I was thinking the fact that being married for 5 years and never filed was actually good. I thought it would prove rather that my purpose was never to come stay here. I just happened to fall in love and found the man of my life here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

There is no such thing as a good will credit for not applying when you could have. The burden is on you to prove that your marriage/relationship is bona fide and it helps to see what you're up against if you think about it from a 3rd party's perspective. What are the dates of your previous marriage and divorce? How does this timeline coincide with you meeting, dating, and marrying your current fiance? How much does your current fiance know about your previous marriage? Any overlap between the two relationships could be seen as you husband shopping to find a way to immigrate, no matter what your personal intentions (or lack of) were. Overstay wouldn't necessarily hurt you since you're married to a USC. What you have to focus on rather is the bona fide stuff. 

Edited by Cadence

05/24/2016 [Day 0] Sent in I-130/I-485

05/26/2016 [Day 2] Package received at Chicago Office

06/01/2016 [Day 8] Received 2 acceptance notification emails

06/03/2016 [Day 10] Received NOA1, priority date 05/26/2016

06/18/2016 [Day 25] Received biometrics letter, 06/27/2016

06/27/2016 [Day 34] Went to Biometrics appointment

07/11/2016 [Day 49] RFIE issued

07/25/2016 [Day 49] Sent RFIE response (total 63 days since start, RFIE paused timer AFAIK)

07/28/2016 [Day 49] RFIE response arrived and signed for by M Sievers; Case updated to 'Response received' (total 66 days)

11/09/2016 [Day 153] Interview scheduled for 12/12/16!!! (total 170 days)

12/12/2016 [Day 186] Approved at the interview (total 203 days)

12/14/2016 [Day 188] Online status update to 'approved' for both I-130 and I-485 (total 205 days)

12/15/2016 [Day 189] Card was sent! (total 206 days)

12/17/2016 [Day 191] Received two I-797s for I-130/I-485 acceptance (total 208 days)

12/19/2016 [Day 193] Card received! (total 210 days)

4 minutes ago, Cadence said:

There is no such thing as a good will credit for not applying when you could have. The burden is on you to prove that your marriage/relationship is bona fide and it helps to see what you're up against if you think about it from a 3rd party's perspective. What are the dates of your previous marriage and divorce? How does this timeline coincide with you meeting your current husband? Any overlap between the two relationships could be seen as you husband shopping to find a way to immigrate, no matter what your personal intentions (or lack of) were. Overstay wouldn't necessarily hurt you since you're married to a USC. What you have to focus on rather is the bona fide stuff. 

Thank you for your response/ advice  dear.  It's greatly appreciated. 

*Proving that our relationship is real would not be a problem at all. We have enough proves, even proves that they may not want to see (lol). I guess the problem would be to prove that we did not plan to marry from the get go, which I have no idea how to do. As far as I know, i fell in love, this is my man and we can't bare to be apart.

1 hour ago, Messan said:

I guess the problem would be to prove that we did not plan to marry from the get go, which I have no idea how to do. As far as I know, i fell in love, this is my man and we can't bare to be apart.

Intent doesn't matter any more. You have been admitted to the US. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just be very sure you are getting married if you overstay because if you leave before you adjust status and get advance parole, you will not be able to use the VWP again and there is a good chance you will have difficulty returning to visit.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I personally wouldn't risk it, especially not in the current political climate. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Transborderwife is giving you good advice here and I would add that proving intent is not by any means 'easy' it is difficult.

The risk also lies with overstaying - even if you are married to a USC and they think you have misrepresented yourself upon entry you would be working with a ban, need a waiver for overstaying and in the future if you choose to immigrate via another venue this equals more money and more time apart.

If you apply for the I485 while here beyond your visa time permitted, does not guarantee lawful status. Your application can still be denied and you can put into removal proceedings.

34 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

I personally wouldn't risk it, especially not in the current political climate. 

Indeed the political climate right now is just down straight scary. What option wouldn't you risk BTW? Overstaying or leaving and trying to come back?

51 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

Just be very sure you are getting married if you overstay because if you leave before you adjust status and get advance parole, you will not be able to use the VWP again and there is a good chance you will have difficulty returning to visit.

Thnx very much dear. I think indeed Overstaying and taking care of things would be best option. The marriage will happen for sure. All the reason we doing this. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierEh said:

Transborderwife is giving you good advice here and I would add that proving intent is not by any means 'easy' it is difficult.

The risk also lies with overstaying - even if you are married to a USC and they think you have misrepresented yourself upon entry you would be working with a ban, need a waiver for overstaying and in the future if you choose to immigrate via another venue this equals more money and more time apart.

If you apply for the I485 while here beyond your visa time permitted, does not guarantee lawful status. Your application can still be denied and you can put into removal proceedings.

Oh lord!! Now I am more confused and more scared. I know they are certain risks that could occur, however, I just don't know what to think now.

And I wouldn't know how to prove "no intent"? I feel like our own case gonna be against us: got here, got divorced, got married and filed for AOS. I did mention at the border when I got here that I came to see my boyfriend although I was still legally married in the country from my last visit.

What are ways to prove no intent?

BTW, thanks for taking to provide some advices. It's greatly appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So u married a usc for 5yrs and never overstayed, where did you guys live? How did u get married? Did you live in the netherlands or in the us? 

I would say ur herr now, intent is fine u were legally allowed in the country and overstay is forgiven.

However, u gettinf married so soon after a 5yr divorce to a usc is a huge red flag!!!

Forget about intent.  They cant deny your AOS for intent alone and intent really went out the window when you were admitted to the USA by the CBP.  You could say at an interview that you intended to move here and they couldnt deny you for it.  

The main issue for you is the quick turn around time from one marriage to another, both to USC.  It's great that you have evidence of a geninue relationship but that evidence occurs during a time you were married to another person.  Basically you have a bunch of evidence that shows you were cheating on a USC with another USC.  Now you're getting married to the new one after the old one didn't sponsor you.  While I trust that's not what's happened, you can see how easily that can be construed in that direction. They likely would not deny you for it, but you'll be under scrutiny. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.