ashcashbananas

In Morocco, want to get married, need help

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Heyyyyy so I'm in Morocco and my fiancée and I are trying to get married. We went to the consulate office in Casablanca where I got my affidavit of nationality and eligibility to marry paper - and they gave me certified copies of my passport! We went to the doctor and he gave us both papers as a certificate of health, in Arabic. 

Can someome PLEASE tell me exactly what to do next?

Please, please, please.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from Off Topic to MENA regional forum for country specific answers and title edited to reflect question  ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can check out the Consulate website on what you need to get married in Morocco:

https://ma.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/marriage-information/

However - the last part, number 14 states that you need: An American police record must be obtained from a police department in the state where you last resided or from the FBI BEFORE coming to Morocco.

I don't think that they are too willing to overlook this. You would probably have to return to get the document. If you go back over to Morocco after getting it, to get married, you can file for a CR1 - Here is a guide to the step by step process if you want to move with your future spouse back to the US. 

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Remember though, that you need a US address as a domicile and a way to support your future spouse (or a co-sponsor who is willing to help). 

We chose the K1 - although it was somewhat more expensive, it was quicker and we just wanted to be together in the US as fast as possible - I don't have a job that allows me to stay in Morocco more than a couple of weeks at a time.  Here is a guide to the pros and cons of the K1 (fiance) vs the CR1 (spouse) visa:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Feel free to msg me with any questions. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes, I agree with the poster above. You need the FBI background check before getting married in Morocco. If you really want to get married there, you're probably going to have to go back home to get it and then go back another time. Have you thought of the K1? We started the process in August of 2016 and my fiancé was approved for his visa January 2017. What ever you decide, good luck! 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello,  I will try and help you as I just went through the process. You have to have your police record from FBI in the US before you go to Morocco.  If you have that,  go to Rabat,  with paper from US Consulate and your passport.  You have to get a police report on you from Morocco at an office there and only you can go in. They have you fill out a form in the Am,  go first thing when they open,  then they will tell you what time to come back in afternoon to pick it up.   The address is listed on the US Consulate website.  You and your fiance each need a medical exam and paper saying you are healthy etc.   Each of you need your birth certificate.  Make sure all your documents are translated into Arabic.  If you are divorced,  the divorce decree must be included.  Each English page translated is 200 MAD/ 20.00. All English pages, documents must be translated in Arabic. Your fiancé  can find one.  

. Your fiance needs his identity card and passport and of course birth certificate and a certificate that he is single or divorce papers too.  Then go to minister of Exterior locally to get approval there. 

. Yes,  it is alot.  Then you and your fiancé go to the local Adoul and he will set up an interview for both of you with the police department,  once you are approved  with the both of them then you both will have an interview with the judge in the local justice.  It can take awhile,  up to a couple weeks for the police to investigate.  If the judge approves and signs the paper then you both go back to the Adoul to get married. 

At each place you will have a fee.  Anywhere from 150 MAD to 200 MAD.  The Adoul I think was almost 2000 MAD.  The is a fee (300MAD is what we paid) for a translator for you when you go before the judge approval and it must happen as your answers cannot go through your fiancé.  Must have a neutral translator.  The Adoul will arrange the translator. 

Let me know what else you need? I will try to help you.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We didn't have a translator when we got married (2013).  Maybe that is a new requirement.  My husband acted as my translator.

Timeline

I forgot to add one thing.  When my husband got the paper from the court listing the requirements for marriage it also listed that I had to have a letter from my employer listing my job and what I make.  I think each court has their own list of requirements so have your fiance check with his court.  We were married in Zemamra.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes,  I forgot that they require a letter from your employer or pays stubs.  I took about 3 months worth of pays stubs.  They were enough. Good luck. 

Edited by Cat & Younes
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Documents needed:

criminal background check (mine was from county clerk office)

birth certificate IRS transcript showing income or letter from employer with income and dates of employment or W 2's showing income any former marriage need divorce papers or death notice of former spouse

birth certificates of children

passport

other photo ID

medical exam will be done in Morocco

1 after geftting the paper from US emabassy , take it to Rabat to Office of Foreign Minister

2 back to his home town for m6edical exam 

3 all documents must be translated into Arabic (6 copies) plus 6 of his ( he needs paper to say he is muslim)

4 interview with police

5 take all to judge for interview for marriage license (when he asked if you slept together, please say no)

6 wait for approval of marriage license 

7 marriage in family court at clerk office where you will be asked how much dowery man is giving the woman

good luck

all will be ok

incha allah

Jeanne

Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

Documents needed:

criminal background check (mine was from county clerk office)

birth certificate IRS transcript showing income or letter from employer with income and dates of employment or W 2's showing income any former marriage need divorce papers or death notice of former spouse

birth certificates of children

passport

other photo ID

medical exam will be done in Morocco

1 after geftting the paper from US emabassy , take it to Rabat to Office of Foreign Minister

2 back to his home town for m6edical exam 

3 all documents must be translated into Arabic (6 copies) plus 6 of his ( he needs paper to say he is muslim)

4 interview with police

5 take all to judge for interview for marriage license (when he asked if you slept together, please say no)

6 wait for approval of marriage license 

7 marriage in family court at clerk office where you will be asked how much dowery man is giving the woman

good luck

all will be ok

incha allah

Jeanne

Number 5? What are you saying? They dont ask this

and...... how could you advise what to say for OP???

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.