Sukie

i-751 April 2016 Filers - Part 2 (merged)

682 posts in this topic

Just now, Mtro said:

I am strongly  thinking they put us in different process no matter how strong your evidences. Maybe they just transfer our files to local offices and let them deal with it which it probably takes much longer time and most likely interview. That's my guess but i hope i m wrong.

Yeah, maybe. We were convinced that we have a pretty strong case, but who knows. I guess there's no other way to know but to wait....

4 hours ago, vkhutchings said:

Congratulations to everyone getting their approval letters!! We got ours today - total surprise, thought we'd be waiting a lot longer. Our decision date was 04/25/17 and our original receipt date was 05/03/16 (Vermont).

So I see in the letter it says not to leave the country before you receive the card (which can take 60 days).... well we have travel planned for the end of May. I guess we should get a passport stamp? 

I'm also traveling end May... not sure what to do either. I did chat with a tier 2 officer today, and he said it was up to me. I think if we were to go, it's completely up to the officers to chop your passport. Ugh!!!

Just to update everyone! I just received my approval letter today too! Date of decision was April 21.

I did call same day last week to put in a service request. Not sure if it affected the process though...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Mtro said:

I am strongly  thinking they put us in different process no matter how strong your evidences. Maybe they just transfer our files to local offices and let them deal with it which it probably takes much longer time and most likely interview. That's my guess but i hope i m wrong.

Our file (we are CR1) was NOT transferred to a local office.  We were adjudicated at the VSC.  We did have a VERY complete and organized file.  It was logically prepared, with lots of financial and social connections.

I think that each officer checks out a stack of files, and moves through them as they can.  Some officers are quicker than others, and some files are easier than others.

Mtro, are you a CR-1 or a K-1 process?

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to what those people do or how they get it done. I feel they approve people like that joke about teachers grading papers- take a huge stack, throw them down the stairs, and the papers that get the farthest get done first.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

It is a simple statistic, I checked every i751 approved person's profile and timeline in here (some of them private though) and I didn't see anyone who were here first with visas like J1,F1, H1, Tourist or any other temporary visitors that got married with Us citizen and then start his/her immigration process.

15 minutes ago, Mtro said:

It is a simple statistic, I checked every i751 approved person's profile and timeline in here (some of them private though) and I didn't see anyone who were here first with visas like J1,F1, H1, Tourist or any other temporary visitors that got married with Us citizen and then start his/her immigration process.

Timeline doesn't tell the full story for many. Take me for example. I don't have a formal timeline but some of my past info is in my signature. I came here as a B-2 visitor and then changed to F1 Student. Got married for the first time about 4 years later. Filed for AOS with the first marriage but things fell apart before the first interview. Got married for the second time in 2012. None of this info is listed in my "timeline". Maybe I'll include it at some point when I have the time to find exact dates.

I guess you can use this rule of thumb - Anyone filing for AOS most likely came here on some temporary status not related to getting married.

Edited by Private One
Added more info

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

55 minutes ago, Mtro said:

45 minutes ago, Private One said:

Timeline doesn't tell the full story for many. Take me for example. I don't have a formal timeline but some of my past info is in my signature. I came here as a B-2 visitor and then changed to F1 Student. Got married for the first time about 4 years later. Filed for AOS with the first marriage but things fell apart before the first interview. Got married for the second time in 2012. None of this info is listed in my "timeline". Maybe I'll include it at some point when I have the time to find exact dates.

I was here on F1 visa too then filed AOS after getting married. I got approved for I-751 under one year. I'm still not sure about (but I won't discard) your theory @Mtro

I am glad to be wrong! 

Waiting with no update and seeing people who filed in late March 2016 getting approvals already is frustrating. Also walking to mailbox and ending up with junk mails everyday is really painful.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
19 hours ago, Sukie said:

Oh, fabulous!  Our status just changed to "Card was mailed"!!!  Looks like it's taking 2 days from "Card is in Production" to "Card is Mailed" for most of us.

We should get the card in the middle of next week.  What a relief!

Pulling for you, Lucybelle!

Sukie in NY

hehe I checked again yesterday and my status changed to "Card was mailed" woohoo!!! It looks like I will receive my GC before May 6th, the expiration date. I never knew that was possible with the way VSC was going haha!

11/08/2012 - Became a couple online smile.png

08/21/2013 - I flew over from England to Boston to meet him smile.pngwub.png

08/29/2013 - I was due to go back home but decided to stay a little longer

09/20/2013 - We decided to get married smile.pngheart.gif

10/22/2013 - We got married!!!

12/13/2013 - Day 0 - Sent off I-130 and I-485 and I-765 to Chicago

12/16/2013 - Day 3 - AOS Packet arrived in Chicago according to USPS

12/20/2013 - Day 7 - Received e-notification to say case has been accepted and processing at the USCIS National Benefits Center.

12/24/2013 - Day 11 - Received official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

12/31/2013 - Day 18 - Received letter for biometrics appointment on January 23rd.

01/13/2014 - Day 31 - Received RFE for form I-864

01/23/2014 - Day 41 - Biometrics done!

03/04/2014 - Day 81 - RFE response sent!

03/06/2014 - Day 83 - RFE response arrived there!

03/20/2014 - Day 97 - EAD card in production!

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - EAD card mailed out!

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - EAD card in USPS possession and given tracking number

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - Green card interview being scheduled! :D

03/30/2014 - Day 107 - USCIS mailed out our interview notice, scheduled for May 6th!

03/31/2014 - Day 108 - Received I-765 EAD work permit in the mail!

04/01/2014 - Day 109 - Received appointment for GC

05/06/2014 - Day 145 - GC interview approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 hours ago, moments12 said:

I'm also traveling end May... not sure what to do either. I did chat with a tier 2 officer today, and he said it was up to me. I think if we were to go, it's completely up to the officers to chop your passport. Ugh!!!

Hmmm, well I'm thinking I'll get the stamp to be on the safe side. Better to be careful, right?!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 4/28/2017 at 5:27 PM, Sukie said:

Oh, fabulous!  Our status just changed to "Card was mailed"!!!  Looks like it's taking 2 days from "Card is in Production" to "Card is Mailed" for most of us.

We should get the card in the middle of next week.  What a relief!

Pulling for you, Lucybelle!

Sukie in NY

Our files must have been sitting on the same desk up in Vermont... Our status changed on the same dates as yours, with same approval date, I believe, too. Never got a text or email about anything in the past year.

Hoping to see the new card in the mailbox on Monday! Fingers crossed.

AOS from H-1B, if anyone's curious...

Edited by nyc-and-india

Married in the US in April of 2014

Filed for AOS from H-1B early May 2014

Interviewed in mid-July

Received our conditional green card postmarked July 23, 2014

Removal of Conditions

04/25/2016 - package mailed to VSC via USPS 2-day Priority

04/28/2016 - package delivery confirmed

05/14/2016 - check "pending" notification received

05/16/2016 - received NOA1 extension of permanent residence (letter dated 04/29/2016 / envelope postmarked 05/13/2016) & check cleared same day

06/03/2016 - received biometrics appointment notice (letter dated 05/28/2016 / envelope postmarked 05/31/2016)

06/14/2016 - biometrics completed

04/13/2017 - APPROVED!

04/19/2017 - received NOA2 approval notice (letter dated 04/13/2017 / envelope postmarked 04/17/2017)

04/26/2017 - first online status change "new card is being produced"

04/28/2017 - second online status change "card mailed"

05/02/207 - card received via USPS    372 days in total

Timeline
5 hours ago, nyc-and-india said:

Our files must have been sitting on the same desk up in Vermont... Our status changed on the same dates as yours, with same approval date, I believe, too. Never got a text or email about anything in the past year.

Hoping to see the new card in the mailbox on Monday! Fingers crossed.

AOS from H-1B, if anyone's curious...

I was thinking a similar thought yesterday - in wondering if individual officers hit a button on their computer that generates the texts/emails.  Some officers do and some don't.  If we had the same officer, this might be true!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Just FYI- (still no letter)

My esposo came back into the USA yesterday on the day his letter expired. Evidently the immigration officer said "this expires today". My esposo calmly said "no, read the letter it gives me a one year extension on my GC and that expires on July." Officer looked at letter again and was like "okay!"

So evidently there's enough grey area that you can just talk your way through it!

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

Just FYI- (still no letter)

My esposo came back into the USA yesterday on the day his letter expired. Evidently the immigration officer said "this expires today". My esposo calmly said "no, read the letter it gives me a one year extension on my GC and that expires on July." Officer looked at letter again and was like "okay!"

So evidently there's enough grey area that you can just talk your way through it!

Good to hear that our immigration officers can be educated as to the correct rules.  I still maintain that knowing the right answer and gently explaining to an officer is a "good thing".

If they were to look his dates up on their system, they would see that his eligibility is for July!  That's what happened to Julie - they took her to secondary where the officer looked up her actual dates.  Unfortunately, she gets really nervous in front of authority figures, and that doesn't help her case.

So happy for you and your esposo, Lucybelle.  Now let's get your letter!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.