Having a Private Ceremony Before K-1 is Approved & Nexus Card

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
33 minutes ago, caliliving said:

Just a bit of insight...

Are u In college? 

Do you work?

Is your husband going to support you in the US or are u looking to work?

Are u thinking to go to college in the usa at 30k/yr? 

U won't have canadian health care anymore - solid plans are 600+ (my company pays 800/month to my plan)

19 is young! What is your plan once you get here?  Atw youngoijf to work?

Jst thinking maybe a cr1 would give u a solid year to dilute these things out.

Off topic but as a Canadian it really isn't normal for a 19yr old to get married - i wish u well but the usa is not the land of oppoetunities...I have a good job, benefits, salary ect...maybe your husband has a great job! I understand that. But factor in your OHIP  (or whatever it is in your provice) will cancel once you move here. 

U have no health insurance. 

It's 600/month for a good plan

19 snd no educations- job opportunities ate slim. 

School here is 30k/yr and in canada is 5k/yr...

I understand you are in love but you are 18. Have you made plans for what will happen once you are here??

- I am turning 21 in a few months.

- I have two years of college (certified to work with Special Needs/Handicap children) I started my first year when I was 17 as I finished High School early. The only reason I am not working in my field of studies is because at the time there were limited opportunities in our area and that's when my current employer called me asking me to come work there

- I have a full time job at our local Chamber of Commerce and have the position of Administrative Assistant along with Tourism Coordinator (which lands me an extra paycheck each month)

- He is going to support me and once I obtain a work visa I will seek employment also to allow us to save more money

- I have been employed full time for the past two years, and worked part time for 3 years prior to obtaining my current job (I worked at home with my mom as she owns a greenhouse & berry business, and I worked as an Assistant manager for two years at a local business)

- I have $$$ in savings 

- I live at home with my parents so that I don't need to pointlessly spend $800/month to rent a studio apartment

- My fiance works as an HVAC Install Technician and is currently doing his apprenticeship. He's lucky to have parents who dedicate themselves to paying for each of their children's college degrees so that's not something he has to worry about

- I believe he receives health insurance through his job, so if it's like it is here in Canada, since I will count as a family member I will be added to his policy

- Most schools here in Canada cost more than $5k/year, more like $12k+/year. Small community colleges even cost more than $5k/year here in Alberta

A cr1 could be a good option but I know my fiance wouldn't go for it as he doesn't want to spend a second more apart once we are married.

Most people 30/40 years ago got married before they were 20 and they've been doing just fine. In the area where I live it's common for girls to get married at 16 (the guys are then 18 or 19). I wouldn't say that there's any "normal" age to get married, it all depends on each persons personal preference for themselves. 

Once I am there, I will be working on obtaining a work visa asap as I love to work and it would help us to save more money. We will be able to live comfortably on what he makes, but we both love to travel which means taking on an extra job to make the extra money to afford that. I am an artsy person so once I obtain work authorization I was thinking of opening my own Etsy shop (or my hubby & I could start our own craft business since we're both creative) as a way of making some extra money from home. We are going to be living in my fiance's RV for the first while after getting married as it's much cheaper than paying rent on an apartment. We've agreed that I will do all the budgeting when it comes to money. We have thought things through, and our parents have both given us good tips and insight as well.  

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Kathryn Banman said:

- I am turning 21 in a few months.

- I have two years of college (certified to work with Special Needs/Handicap children) I started my first year when I was 17 as I finished High School early. The only reason I am not working in my field of studies is because at the time there were limited opportunities in our area and that's when my current employer called me asking me to come work there

- I have a full time job at our local Chamber of Commerce and have the position of Administrative Assistant along with Tourism Coordinator (which lands me an extra paycheck each month)

- He is going to support me and once I obtain a work visa I will seek employment also to allow us to save more money

- I have been employed full time for the past two years, and worked part time for 3 years prior to obtaining my current job (I worked at home with my mom as she owns a greenhouse & berry business, and I worked as an Assistant manager for two years at a local business)

- I have $$$ in savings 

- I live at home with my parents so that I don't need to pointlessly spend $800/month to rent a studio apartment

- My fiance works as an HVAC Install Technician and is currently doing his apprenticeship. He's lucky to have parents who dedicate themselves to paying for each of their children's college degrees so that's not something he has to worry about

- I believe he receives health insurance through his job, so if it's like it is here in Canada, since I will count as a family member I will be added to his policy

- Most schools here in Canada cost more than $5k/year, more like $12k+/year. Small community colleges even cost more than $5k/year here in Alberta

A cr1 could be a good option but I know my fiance wouldn't go for it as he doesn't want to spend a second more apart once we are married.

Most people 30/40 years ago got married before they were 20 and they've been doing just fine. In the area where I live it's common for girls to get married at 16 (the guys are then 18 or 19). I wouldn't say that there's any "normal" age to get married, it all depends on each persons personal preference for themselves. 

Once I am there, I will be working on obtaining a work visa asap as I love to work and it would help us to save more money. We will be able to live comfortably on what he makes, but we both love to travel which means taking on an extra job to make the extra money to afford that. I am an artsy person so once I obtain work authorization I was thinking of opening my own Etsy shop (or my hubby & I could start our own craft business since we're both creative) as a way of making some extra money from home. We are going to be living in my fiance's RV for the first while after getting married as it's much cheaper than paying rent on an apartment. We've agreed that I will do all the budgeting when it comes to money. We have thought things through, and our parents have both given us good tips and insight as well.  

You don't understand.  Once you're here on a k1, you don't obtain a work visa.  You file for aos after marrying.  At about the 90 day mark (more or less) you obtain your EAD which is your work permit.  In that case cr1 is better as you can make visits (ESP as a nexus holder it's easier) and work right away when you receive your visa and enter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Transborderwife said:

You don't understand.  Once you're here on a k1, you don't obtain a work visa.  You file for aos after marrying.  At about the 90 day mark (more or less) you obtain your EAD which is your work permit.  In that case cr1 is better as you can make visits (ESP as a nexus holder it's easier) and work right away when you receive your visa and enter.

I meant EAD, I know it's not a work visa I just forgot what it was called. 

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Honestly, our K-1 interview in Montreal was exactly 5 months from the date we sent the I-129F, only reason ours took so long was because we got a 221g for more documents Some people are lucky, if you are diligent in getting an interview appointment, you can find them pretty fast, and you can get in pretty fast. Montreal is seen as notoriously slow on things like AP and opening up interview dates. It comes down to almost luck and how often you check it.

As for working, if you come in K-1, don't expect to work until 90 days AFTER you file for AOS, and that's assuming everything goes well. I know there were a couple of people who AOS'd the same time as my husband that didn't get it til 110 days after filing.

So if it takes you guys 60 days to get married, and another say 20 to file AOS, you won't be working for another 90, you'll be without work for at least 170 days, and that's if you got a job the DAY you got approved for EAD (which probably wouldn't happen). A lot of people young and old are surprised by the cost and the stress it causes when one isn't able to work. 

Either way, there's some people where age is going to be an obvious issue. I don't think you're one of them for the most part.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

You seem like a pretty sensible well rounded young adult.  You have it more together than people more than twice your age.  I think there were some things you wanted that you realize now aren't possible without some working around.  Don't mind the naysayers or people who want an in-depth look at your life, you really do NOT need to explain yourself. 

Keep on keeping on!  I think you'll do well. :) Best of luck. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.