sparkles_

AOS March 2016 filers/Part 2

674 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Current info about working on an expired EAD, with proof of renewal based on a pending AOS since a few us us are facing this. Since it looks like even the EADs are starting to backlog.

http://www.employerlawreport.com/2016/12/articles/labor-relations/employer-alert-revised-i-9-form-required-beginning-jan-22-2017/

It also accommodates forthcoming changes in immigration regulations becoming effective on January 17, 2017. Workers employed based on Employment Authorization Documents (EADs; also known as Form I-766), including foreign students, spouses in H-4, L-2, or E-2 status, and applicants for lawful permanent residence, who apply to renew their EADs may now continue working, even with an expired EAD, while the renewal application is pending with USCIS. Although the I-9 paper instructions are not clear, the “smart” form instructions note that an employee who has an expired EAD will be able to provide a copy of the expired EAD along with Form I-797C, Notice of Action (receipt notice), for the renewal application as List A documents. These instructions will be explained when the new Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (Form M-274) is updated. Because the rules on when an EAD remains valid after the expiration date are complicated and confusing, the online “smart” I-9 is very helpful to work through this minefield.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

3 hours ago, sparkles_ said:

Guys, I'm getting really nervous about this ban Trump is laying down. I've been hearing rumors that anyone who basically seems Muslim is turned away at airports, even green card holders. 

Im really worried this will stop or slow down things for us. And that he may have issues renewing his EAD 

There is only so much unconstitutional hooey that the U.S. public and our governing bodies will accept. Banning green card holders from returning to the U.S.? Really? REALLY?? It's so far beyond illegal and unconstitutional, there are no words. Rational minds will prevail. We have to believe that.

In the meantime, let's get the lead out. Donate $$ when you can, donate time when you can, protest if you're comfortable doing so (though I know most of us still waiting on GCs probably don't want to rock the boat at this point). This is unacceptable, and the electorate is not going to let this continue.

We have to stay strong and have hope. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

[Day 000] May 18, 2020: Naturalization package accepted by USCIS

[Day 268] February 10, 2021: Interview scheduled

[Day 305 ] March 19, 2021: Approved!

[Day 309 ] March 23, 2021: Oath ceremony

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] April 29, 2019: ROC package accepted by USCIS

[Day 036] June 4, 2019: Biometrics taken at USCIS center in VA

[Day 330] March 24, 2020: Case transferred to NBC to ease case backlog at EAC

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

[Day 690] March 19, 2021: Approved during combo interview

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] March 8, 2016: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package to Chicago lockbox

[Day 035] April 12, 2016: Biometrics appointment

[Day 052] April 29, 2016: Received EAD/AP combo card in the mail

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 470] June 22, 2017: Received RFE for five items with 84 days to respond 

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Fall 2005: Met as students at university

July 2015: Got engaged

September 12, 2015: Mailed K-1 Visa Petition to Lewisville Lockbox

September 16, 2015: NOA1 Received (Electronic Notice)

October 2, 2015: NOA2 (Electronic Notice)

October 23, 2015: Approved I-129F Received by NVC and Assigned Case Number

October 29, 2015: Petition documents arrived at AIT in Taipei

November 2, 2015: Received Packet 3 from AIT via email

November 10, 2015: Medical appointment

November 23, 2015: Visa interview

November 27, 2015: VISA APPROVED!!

February 1, 2016: POE in Minneapolis

February 6, 2016: Married!

3 hours ago, daveyjoe! said:

I too am shocked and sick to my stomach about everything. 

I know what it is like to wait thru immigration. I couldn't imagine just as I thought all the waiting and the paperwork was over, suddenly it would mean nothing in the blink of an eye.  I would be beyond emotional repair. 

That being said, on a personal level I'm very very upset. My husband and I are in Italy (his origin country). We have our date on the 23rd for our interview. Because of a massive miscommunication between us when packing - we forgot to bring any of our supporting documents with us (no visas, no marriage certificate beyond our EAD). We are flying Emirates and my husbad has a lot of facial hair and reads sometimes to people as middle eastern. I'm nervous that depending on who we get at check in at JFK they may decide to deny us entry. 

Of course this is far less a concern as those that are currently being detained simply because of their religion and the executive order Trump signed regarding those specific countries. I'm so sad this is what has become of this country. At this point I don't even want to remain in the states as all this terror occurs....

:(:(:( 

Is there anyone at home in the U.S. who could get into your apartment, find the documents, and scan a copy to you guys in Italy? Have you tried calling the USCIS hotline to speak with a Tier 2 about this? Can you husband get a copy of his Italian birth certificate or household registration (document used in Taiwan; maybe Italy is similar)  to prove his country of origin? I mean, his passport should be sufficient, but for peace of mind, some additional documents may be helpful.

Do you have a copy of the receipt notice for the I-485? That might be most helpful, but may not even be necessary. My husband and I were in Taiwan for two weeks over the holidays and all the customs officer asked to see when we got to the counter were his passport and EAD/AP card. We did have to go into a little side room and answer a few questions (mainly biographic details like spelling of his name, current address, etc), but the officer said that was routine when processing an AP entry for the first time and only took about 20 minutes. I was allowed to stay with him, too. If that happens to you, try not to freak out. It may be the same for all POEs (ours was in Portland, OR).

In all honesty, if you're coming back in the next couple of weeks, I don't think you need to worry. Already, there are massive protests at US airports over this new ban and my guess is that things are going to lighten up a bit over the next few days. Hang in there and stay strong for your hubby--he needs you. 

Oh, and having a Plan B can ease the stress, too. For us, it's simply heading to Taiwan until 2020...

Edited by Linyahui

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Timeline

Guyssssssss, the ACLU won a stay on the ban against those 7 countries!!! No more ban, people can come home, people can process again! It is temporary but a start. And unless the prez can show it doesn't violate the 4 key liberties, it won't go back. Cross fingers, toes, everything!

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Timeline
3 hours ago, daveyjoe! said:

I too am shocked and sick to my stomach about everything. 

I know what it is like to wait thru immigration. I couldn't imagine just as I thought all the waiting and the paperwork was over, suddenly it would mean nothing in the blink of an eye.  I would be beyond emotional repair. 

That being said, on a personal level I'm very very upset. My husband and I are in Italy (his origin country). We have our date on the 23rd for our interview. Because of a massive miscommunication between us when packing - we forgot to bring any of our supporting documents with us (no visas, no marriage certificate beyond our EAD). We are flying Emirates and my husbad has a lot of facial hair and reads sometimes to people as middle eastern. I'm nervous that depending on who we get at check in at JFK they may decide to deny us entry. 

Of course this is far less a concern as those that are currently being detained simply because of their religion and the executive order Trump signed regarding those specific countries. I'm so sad this is what has become of this country. At this point I don't even want to remain in the states as all this terror occurs....

:(:(:( 

Don't worry, the ban is on a stay! And maybe ask hubs to take a shave if you're super worried....I know it sounds awful, but for ease of travel, I basically force mine to shave it all or trim it as low as possible. 

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

So i Assume that you guys read the news. Basically Iraqis are now banned from coming to the country. My dad has a visa and he is in iraq now and the embassy said no one is allowed to leave for 90 days. so summer plans are canceled for him i guess. And what about iraqis waiting for the GC ? what is going to happen in this matter ?. I don't know what to do and cannot think. I could not study anything today and just facing the news all day.. this is an horror movie.. well i hope it is a movie coz i am terrified. 
Question for my Visa journey family. My EAD expires in may 23. i already have the packet signed and sealed since Jan 16. Should i send it out on monday or wait a little bit ?

Edited by msmontader

Timeline
8 hours ago, msmontader said:

So i Assume that you guys read the news. Basically Iraqis are now banned from coming to the country. My dad has a visa and he is in iraq now and the embassy said no one is allowed to leave for 90 days. so summer plans are canceled for him i guess. And what about iraqis waiting for the GC ? what is going to happen in this matter ?. I don't know what to do and cannot think. I could not study anything today and just facing the news all day.. this is an horror movie.. well i hope it is a movie coz i am terrified. 
Question for my Visa journey family. My EAD expires in may 23. i already have the packet signed and sealed since Jan 16. Should i send it out on monday or wait a little bit ?

Send it ASAP. You are able to mail it on Jan 23, which is 120 days in advance. And once you get that NOA1, go to your congressional rep. and expedite it based on hardship and financial loss. Be sure and come back here and I can help you with that because we will be trying for the same expedite once we get the NOA1. Also EADs look like they are backlogged somewhat.....a new thing was made official that you can work while showing an expired EAD and renewal proof as of Jan 17, 2017. I posted it in my above comment. I know its not much help but to know that you won't have to be fired or laid off from your job in case your EAD doesn't come through in time is there.

I hope you have seen the ACLU won a temporary stay on the ban. So for now, those in the country are seemingly safe. However, those in process outside and those trying to return are trapped in limbo. At least this is what I have been hearing from lawyers who are doing livestreams. I urge to you go on FB and follow someone named Hiba Ghalib.....she is Iraqi and an immigration lawyer who posted an hour long livestream about this.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline
2 hours ago, sparkles_ said:

Send it ASAP. You are able to mail it on Jan 23, which is 120 days in advance. And once you get that NOA1, go to your congressional rep. and expedite it based on hardship and financial loss. Be sure and come back here and I can help you with that because we will be trying for the same expedite once we get the NOA1. Also EADs look like they are backlogged somewhat.....a new thing was made official that you can work while showing an expired EAD and renewal proof as of Jan 17, 2017. I posted it in my above comment. I know its not much help but to know that you won't have to be fired or laid off from your job in case your EAD doesn't come through in time is there.

I hope you have seen the ACLU won a temporary stay on the ban. So for now, those in the country are seemingly safe. However, those in process outside and those trying to return are trapped in limbo. At least this is what I have been hearing from lawyers who are doing livestreams. I urge to you go on FB and follow someone named Hiba Ghalib.....she is Iraqi and an immigration lawyer who posted an hour long livestream about this.

Thank you sparkles for this information, honestly a million dollar information. I will send out the packet first thing in the morning and i will send it in the first class priority mail. As soon as i get the recipe i will let you know so we can go from there with the expedition with the congress rep office. 

I just finished watching the live streaming of Hiba Ghalib and thank god she explained everything and so far she said of you are applying for GC from isnide the U.S, you should be fine s hopefully everything will go ok for me and all of us here. 

Thank you again really !!

Timeline
23 minutes ago, msmontader said:

Thank you sparkles for this information, honestly a million dollar information. I will send out the packet first thing in the morning and i will send it in the first class priority mail. As soon as i get the recipe i will let you know so we can go from there with the expedition with the congress rep office. 

I just finished watching the live streaming of Hiba Ghalib and thank god she explained everything and so far she said of you are applying for GC from isnide the U.S, you should be fine s hopefully everything will go ok for me and all of us here. 

Thank you again really !!

You're more than welcome, if I see anything else that relates or pertains to things, I'll post up here. At this point, all of us in the immigration loop have to look out for and help one another.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Guys I'm so heartbroken here! I've been glued to the news, social media, forums and articles for the past two days in complete disbelief of the madness and pandemonium that's been unleashed. This is absolute tyranny. I swear I'll kick anyone who scoffs that "why are you mad, this doesn't concern you" at me. I may not be immediately affected, but that doesn't mean I can't be appalled by the atrocities committed against people!

Stay strong March fam, and everyone. I deeply hope the EO will fizzle out as unconstitutional. Meanwhile wife and I are donating money.

Met: June 2004

Face-to-Face 1st time: June 2010

I moved to the US: August 2015

Spoiler

K-1

07/19/14 Sent I-129F

07/29/14 NOA1 (According to USCIS Status Check)

08/06/14 NOA1 Hardcopy 

08/22/14 Officially engaged with a ring, haha!

10/30/14 NOA2

12/01/14 Packet 3

01/19/15 Physical Exam

03/09/15 Interview & Approved

LAX 08/09/15 POE

Spoiler

AOS

09/07/2015 Married 

10/16/15 AOS/EAD/AP sent

11/17/15 Biometrics

01/08/2016 EAD/AP received 

07/05/16 SR: "USCIS anticipates delay"

One year anniversary from application...

10/21/16 EAD/AP renewal

11/03/16 SR: no response. Congresswoman SR 10/27/16, Application is in Florida (!?)

11/18/16 walk-in 11/09/16 EAD Biometrics

11/10/16 RFE: Expired I-693 Medical exam and vaccinations (day 391)

11/17/16 RFE response: (1-day priority with signature, delivered but signature waived)

Tier 2 SR: 12/21/16´-- "Case pending decision" (Los Angeles Office should not have responded, file is not with them)

01/13/2017 Infopass:  -- "You probably have nothing to worry about. Your case is in Arizona. Previous SR wrongly responded, new SR to the right office."

01/17/17 InfoPass SR: -- "Pending. We expect decision or other notice in 45 days." Congresswoman's office confirms RFE response has been received.

01/27/17  GC Approved (amid Tr$mp EO chaos)

02/03/17 Card in hand (445 days, non-complicated case (no previous visas, no overstay, no divorces, not high fraud country, no co-sponsor. Just unlucky.))

ROC

01/07/19 Sent I-751

01/11/19 Text notification for case received with receipt #

03/26/19 Received NOA/GC 18-month Extension letter

05/03/19 Biometrics

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Ninahi said:

Guys I'm so heartbroken here! I've been glued to the news, social media, forums and articles for the past two days in complete disbelief of the madness and pandemonium that's been unleashed. This is absolute tyranny. I swear I'll kick anyone who scoffs that "why are you mad, this doesn't concern you" at me. I may not be immediately affected, but that doesn't mean I can't be appalled by the atrocities committed against people!

Stay strong March fam, and everyone. I deeply hope the EO will fizzle out as unconstitutional. Meanwhile wife and I are donating money.

This has shown me the importance of donating to the ACLU and other such organizations. 

Side note, once again I'm so freaking happy for you and your wife that the super long GC journey is over, Ninahi :) 

Edited by sparkles_

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
6 hours ago, Ninahi said:

"This doesn't consern you"... all I have to say is that all of us are close to this subject. Even if you or your spouse doesn't come from one of those few countries, it shows how easy it is for ONE (!) person to deside the fate of others. It could have been other countries, our countries. This sure as hell concerns ANYBODY associated with immigration... who knows what's next...

Met around 2011/2012 in a game (league of legends) super random, best friends ever since... grew closer as friends and desided in 2013 to try dating, flew over and we had a click =)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/2015 - Receive K1 (texas backlog drama, took a year!)

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

(Day 000) 03/10/16 - Filed AOS (with EAD and AP)

(Day 001) 03/14/16 - Received EAD+AP

(Day 004) 03/18/16 - Received AOS

(Day 005) 03/19/16 - NOA1 SMS & Email x3

(Day 009) 03/23/16 - NOA1 Hardcopy x3

(Day 016) 03/30/16 - Biometrics letter received

(Day 030) 04/13/16 - Biometrics done (very quiet in Providence (RI) just one other family and me)

(Day 051) 05/04/16 - Approval EAD & AP

(Day 055) 05/08/16 - NOA2 EAD & AP in the mail and online changed to approved

(Day 063) 05/16/16 - Approval AOS

(Day 065) 05/18/16 - Called tier 2 officer to ask where my AOS is at (RFE, Waiver, Interview etc, what to expect) got as answer it's approved...

(Day 067) 05/20/16 - NOA2 AOS Hardcopy and online status change

(Day 086) 06/08/16 - EAD Mailed to me

(Day 088) 06/10/16 - GC Mailed to me

(Day 089) 06/11/16 - EAD & AP combocard received (It still came eventho it's useless since AOS approval)

(Day 091) 06/13/16 - Greencard received

Timeline
8 hours ago, sparkles_ said:

You're more than welcome, if I see anything else that relates or pertains to things, I'll post up here. At this point, all of us in the immigration loop have to look out for and help one another.

Thanks !!. I will keep you guys updated with everything that goes on. 

Has anyone tried to access the Infopass system tonight? I keep trying to check on appointments for St. Paul and keep receiving a message in red font saying there was a problem processing the request. I tried other zip codes and got the same message.

I am confident this ban won't, and can't, last. It's so obviously unconstitutional that it just has to be a matter of time before it's overturned completely. That, or states will take matters into their own hands, as has been the case in MA. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Linyahui said:

Has anyone tried to access the Infopass system tonight? I keep trying to check on appointments for St. Paul and keep receiving a message in red font saying there was a problem processing the request. I tried other zip codes and got the same message.

I am confident this ban won't, and can't, last. It's so obviously unconstitutional that it just has to be a matter of time before it's overturned completely. That, or states will take matters into their own hands, as has been the case in MA. 

Not tonight, but for my last infopass in December I got that for a few days til it finally fixed itself. 

Edited by sparkles_

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.