Socal.love

Beginning of k-1 with previous student visa denied

7 posts in this topic

Just wanted to hear from others if you have experienced a student visa denial, what your results were when requesting for approval of a K1, i-129f.

My fiance is in Germany.  In 2012 he reapplied for his student visa and was denied due to  " sufficiently not having strong ties to the home country" I am worried we will run into problems because of this but we were a lot younger and i'm not sure if maybe this was one of the reasons. He had spent most of his early adulthood in the US and. He is 23 now has been going to school since 2014 and working since 2015 and when he applied to renew the visa he had recently turned 18 and his parents were the ones who were financially sponsoring him.

After talking to a few different lawyers they each told me different routes to go about for him to immigrate some which sounded illegal and just left me discouraged in trusting any of them that we decide to do it ourselves but also one of them left me scared saying that we would automatically get denied because of a previous visa denial. Just wanted to know if anyone else was in this situation and if you were approved for the K1, we are in the beginning of filling out paperwork.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A student visa gets denied if they suspect the beneficiary wants to immigrate.  A k1 fiance visa is to immigrate, so there should be no problem with the previous denial, unless he lied to try and get approved for a student visa (such as said he was married when he was not etc).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I was previously denied a student visa due to earlier ESTA overstay and a bar when I was 19...  The years went by and when I met my now husband and we decided to file for K1 this worried me as well. Other than being completely honest on the DS-160 it wasn't a problem. At the interview I was asked why I had never visited my then fiancé in the US (he visited me) I said cause I didn't want to go through the tourist visa application process since I was ineligible for ESTA and was previously denied a student visa. He then asked me how come I was ineligible for ESTA (although it was right there in his papers lol) So I said I overstayed years ago.... he asked me how long, what was I doing and how did I support myself during my overstay. I was just honest about all those answers and he said as long as my statements checked out with their systems my visa was approved.

I know you guys don't have a past overstay, only the visa denial.. and as Penguin explained you are now trying to immigrate so it will not be a problem, unless you are dishonest during the process.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 1/6/2017 at 0:01 PM, Socal.love said:

Just wanted to hear from others if you have experienced a student visa denial, what your results were when requesting for approval of a K1, i-129f.

My fiance is in Germany.  In 2012 he reapplied for his student visa and was denied due to  " sufficiently not having strong ties to the home country" I am worried we will run into problems because of this but we were a lot younger and i'm not sure if maybe this was one of the reasons. He had spent most of his early adulthood in the US and. He is 23 now has been going to school since 2014 and working since 2015 and when he applied to renew the visa he had recently turned 18 and his parents were the ones who were financially sponsoring him.

After talking to a few different lawyers they each told me different routes to go about for him to immigrate some which sounded illegal and just left me discouraged in trusting any of them that we decide to do it ourselves but also one of them left me scared saying that we would automatically get denied because of a previous visa denial. Just wanted to know if anyone else was in this situation and if you were approved for the K1, we are in the beginning of filling out paperwork.

Hey, I'm from Germany too and my student visa was denied last year because my fiancé was my bank sponsor and when I told the officer my fiancé wants to sponsor me he told me 'you won't get a visa today'. We didn't know that we have to apply for a K1 since we thought that I can start college and we get married and live a happy life (I'm 21 btw). But we didn't inform ourselves enough so we got denied because we were honest but stupid. I will have my K1 visa interview next week in Frankfurt and I'm scared but our lawyer said there's not reason to worry about it. Did you already have your interview?

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 0:06 AM, Suss&Camm said:

I was previously denied a student visa due to earlier ESTA overstay and a bar when I was 19...  The years went by and when I met my now husband and we decided to file for K1 this worried me as well. Other than being completely honest on the DS-160 it wasn't a problem. At the interview I was asked why I had never visited my then fiancé in the US (he visited me) I said cause I didn't want to go through the tourist visa application process since I was ineligible for ESTA and was previously denied a student visa. He then asked me how come I was ineligible for ESTA (although it was right there in his papers lol) So I said I overstayed years ago.... he asked me how long, what was I doing and how did I support myself during my overstay. I was just honest about all those answers and he said as long as my statements checked out with their systems my visa was approved.

I know you guys don't have a past overstay, only the visa denial.. and as Penguin explained you are now trying to immigrate so it will not be a problem, unless you are dishonest during the process.

I have a question. So in October 2015, my fiance travelled to the U.S with her 8 year-old-kid on tourist visas to visit her daughter. Then when she came to visit me, I suggested her to stay a little bit longer  that the kid went to school. And he did for 3 months. Then they came back before their 6-month entry ended. When they came back to the U.S after 2 weeks to attend her daughter's graduation, they were denied entry. They said that the little kid went to school and that's illegal. So she was asked if she still wanted to stay but then she chose to go back on her own. They said she could still apply for a visa. We've been together for 4 years and we just filed our petition mid-June and received our NOA1 on June 23rd. We're still waiting for our NOA2. The agent that we've hired for our petition said that our evidence and proofs of a true relationship are very strong. I wonder if the event in the past would affect her chance of getting k1 visa for her and k2 visas for her kids cause we've been together for long time and our relationship is genuine. Can I ask if you worked during your overstay?

Edited by vbcm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Old thread closed.  Please ask questions about your own case in your own thread. *******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.