jg121783

Something About This Russia Story Stinks - Rolling Stone

8 posts in this topic

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/something-about-this-russia-story-stinks-w458439

Nearly a decade and a half after the Iraq-WMD faceplant, the American press is again asked to co-sign a dubious intelligence assessment

In an extraordinary development Thursday, the Obama administration announced a series of sanctions against Russia. Thirty-five Russian nationals will be expelled from the country. President Obama issued a terse statement seeming to blame Russia for the hack of the Democratic National Committee emails.

"These data theft and disclosure activities could only have been directed by the highest levels of the Russian government," he wrote.

Russia at first pledged, darkly, to retaliate, then backed off. The Russian press today is even reporting that Vladimir Putin is inviting "the children of American diplomats" to "visit the Christmas tree in the Kremlin," as characteristically loathsome/menacing/sarcastic a Putin response as you'll find.

This dramatic story puts the news media in a jackpot. Absent independent verification, reporters will have to rely upon the secret assessments of intelligence agencies to cover the story at all.

Many reporters I know are quietly freaking out about having to go through that again. We all remember the WMD fiasco.

"It's déjà vu all over again" is how one friend put it.

You can see awkwardness reflected in the headlines that flew around the Internet Thursday. Some news agencies seemed split on whether to unequivocally declare that Russian hacking took place, or whether to hedge bets and put it all on the government to make that declaration, using "Obama says" formulations.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

You started off all wrong there were WMD's in Iraq and that's the truth. The information was kept classified up until a few years ago and they released it. They did find Chemical weapons in Iraq and I know that for a fact. We found Sarin gas in our AO while I was in Iraq in 2006-2007 so try again. 

I did not post that article to start a debate about wmds.  Only to show there are serious doubts about the Russian hacking narrative. We haven't been shown one shred of solid evidence. All we have to go on is the word of some politicians who lie to us all the time.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

I did not post that article to start a debate about wmds.  Only to show there are serious doubts about the Russian hacking narrative. We haven't been shown one shred of solid evidence. All we have to go on is the word of some politicians who lie to us all the time.

And you will not find evidence either. The Russians are good.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree. Let's see some evidence. There is something wrong with something here. Vague accusations,secret third hand leaks, info meeting with congress denied, weird Fbi and Cia actions. Wiki leaks and some others in the know say the hacking was not from the Russian government.

it feels like fake news with possible disastrous results.

The curtain got ripped of the DNC . They justill trying to draw attention elsewhere.  If the Russians did do it, they did not use propaganda. They just exposed the truth 

Filed: Timeline
10 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

You started off all wrong there were WMD's in Iraq and that's the truth. The information was kept classified up until a few years ago and they released it. They did find Chemical weapons in Iraq and I know that for a fact. We found Sarin gas in our AO while I was in Iraq in 2006-2007 so try again. 

Interesting.