pinoypinay

Civily Married in the United States, Getting Married in Church in the Philippines.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'm trying to search the forums but currently, the search tool is indexing and cannot return any result so please pardon me if there are similar topics out there, I really need help on my situation.

Background: My wife came here in the U.S. through K-1, and now she's a permanent resident with a 10 year green card. We are civily married here in the United States and would like to get married in church in the Philippines.

I need your help what to do here. The church in the Philippines have a whole laundry list of requirements. One of which is to obtain a "Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from the U.S. Embassy in Manila. We already told the church that we are already civily married and presented our Marriage certificate from California, and told them that I'm marrying the same woman named in the certificate but the church is insisting that it is a requirement.

I'm already preparing to go to the US Embassy Manila but i don't know whether or not the consular officer will give me that Affidavit because I'm already married. 

Can you send me some advice? I know there are couples out there who were in the same situation.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Philippines forum, from K1 P&P - As the OP is asking about a ceremony in the Philippines.~~

Mod hat off

Have you looked up how to do a vow renewal ceremony? You're already married so you can't get married again, but you can do a vow renewal or a blessing sort of deal. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

The issue is that you are legally married. No reputable institution is going to allow you to marry again (even to the same person).

I agree with Ontarkie - did you look at a vow renewal ceremony?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Dear Friend:

Congratulations for getting married.

Do not overthink stuff. As previous messages in this thread you are already legally married. The only thing you will ever need is your marriage Certificate. I totally understand about the intention of your religious Ceremony, but legally, you are married already and that is a fact. Regardless that your marriage was performed outside of the Philippines, you shouldn't need anything else for a religious ceremony. 

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are rules set specifically depending of which church do you intend to get married or should I say renewal of vows. The thing is if you never filed your marriage certificate in the NSO then based on their record you are not married. Just bring your civil wedding certificate and file it to them which I am not sure how long to be in their system. Since for me and my husband, we had our wedding in the Philippines took them 3 months to put it in. So you can just hire a wedding coordinator and arrange the renewal of vows. But if it would be treated as first wedding, yes you need to get the legal capacity to marry. We flew to Cebu consulate office for that, we are from Davao. Manila needs to be scheduled and our flights coming from Singapore scheduled too tight. Cebu, you can walk in and out in 10 minutes with it. It was $50 US back Dec 2015.

God bless your marriage!!! And hope all will be well for the preparation.

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): April 28 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: May 7, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: July 6, 2016 (60 days from NOA1) :dancing:
Petition Recieved by NVC text & email: July 18, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: August 3, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: August 3, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: August 4, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: August 4, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: August 5, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: August 5, 2016
Pay IV Fee: August 10, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: August 12, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: August 20, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via Express Mail Singapore Post): September 23, 2016
Scan date: September 29,2016

3 NA in CEAC site: October 17, 2016 :dancing:
CC through phone: October 17, 2016
Confirmation of CC email received: October 24, 2016

Case "in transit": November 8,2016

Case "ready": November 17,2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: November 1, 2016

Medical (Singapore): November 11, 2016

Medical Sent to consulate: November 25, 2016

Interview Date: December 27, 2016

Interview Result: 221g for missing documents

Submit Documents: January 17, 2017

First Update: January 19, 2017

Submit Documents 2nd time : January 22, 2017 ( Approaching Chinese New Year )

Second Update : Feb 2, 2017

Ceac Status AP: until February 5, 2017

Ceac Status ISSUED: February 6, 2017

Visa ON HAND: February 7, 2017

POE: Philadelphia International Airport

US Entry: Feb 24, 2017

SS # received : Mar. 11, 2017

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, pinoypinay said:

i'm trying to search the forums but currently, the search tool is indexing and cannot return any result so please pardon me if there are similar topics out there, I really need help on my situation.

Background: My wife came here in the U.S. through K-1, and now she's a permanent resident with a 10 year green card. We are civily married here in the United States and would like to get married in church in the Philippines.

I need your help what to do here. The church in the Philippines have a whole laundry list of requirements. One of which is to obtain a "Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from the U.S. Embassy in Manila. We already told the church that we are already civily married and presented our Marriage certificate from California, and told them that I'm marrying the same woman named in the certificate but the church is insisting that it is a requirement.

I'm already preparing to go to the US Embassy Manila but i don't know whether or not the consular officer will give me that Affidavit because I'm already married. 

Can you send me some advice? I know there are couples out there who were in the same situation.

Thanks for your help in advance.

We did a renewal of vows wedding in the Philippines had all the bells and whistles deal at one of the outfits that have the big venues.  Minister was fine with doing the "wedding".

If you are catholic you are not going to be able to do a church wedding.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Ervie and Rob said:

There are rules set specifically depending of which church do you intend to get married or should I say renewal of vows. The thing is if you never filed your marriage certificate in the NSO then based on their record you are not married. Just bring your civil wedding certificate and file it to them which I am not sure how long to be in their system. Since for me and my husband, we had our wedding in the Philippines took them 3 months to put it in. So you can just hire a wedding coordinator and arrange the renewal of vows. But if it would be treated as first wedding, yes you need to get the legal capacity to marry. We flew to Cebu consulate office for that, we are from Davao. Manila needs to be scheduled and our flights coming from Singapore scheduled too tight. Cebu, you can walk in and out in 10 minutes with it. It was $50 US back Dec 2015.

God bless your marriage!!! And hope all will be well for the preparation.

Marriage certificate must be filed with the consulate representing the state where they were married, it can not be filed directly to PSA (was NSO).

No need for a legal capacity to marry as they are already married, just doing a renewal of vows... nothing is needed for that except a willing minister... and lots of food for the party after.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Filed: Timeline

I have never seen the reason to go back to Philippines to renew vows or do a simulated marriage.   Get married in the USA, go to some cool place for a honeymoon like Hawaii, or Lake Tahoe and go snow skiing.

If you go back to Philippines just have a nice party, rent a video k machine, have free beer, have lots of food. 

:jest: Another bright idea. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:37 AM, MarkPerry said:

I have never seen the reason to go back to Philippines to renew vows or do a simulated marriage.   Get married in the USA, go to some cool place for a honeymoon like Hawaii, or Lake Tahoe and go snow skiing.

If you go back to Philippines just have a nice party, rent a video k machine, have free beer, have lots of food. 

Ever consider his wife's family desires?  Pretty good reason to participate in a church ceremony even if not a wedding.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Filed: Timeline
8 minutes ago, Brassballs said:

Ever consider his wife's family desires?  Pretty good reason to participate in a church ceremony even if not a wedding.

Consider Yes, But to actually do it, not really.

My wife is the first girl to get married out of 5 girls, she was virgin, oldest sister out of school.  I never went back for a simulated wedding, I am sure they wanted it.  But I just don't see the point.

BTW, Nice Handle BRASSBALLS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.