2,895 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
On Thursday, February 02, 2017 at 11:32 AM, sandranj said:

NSARA  Do you have a visa number available? because you cannot file form I-485 without a visa number available this is because your husband is  GC holder .

YOU can file I-765 but you will not receive a work permit until your VAWA is approved

Hi Sandranj,

My husband is GC, Right now I live in Domestic Violence Shelter with my 3 kids.

I already filed VAWA I-360 (only that) and have receipt of notice so far. My priority date is 06May15. I have approved I-130 from my GC husband(abuser)

As per Visa Bulletin

B.  DATES FOR FILING FAMILY-SPONSORED VISA APPLICATIONS is showing F2A - 22NOV15

A.  FINAL ACTION DATES FOR FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCE CASES is showing F2A - 15APR15 (Hopefully it will be showing like 15MAY15 which my date will be earlier than 15MAY15 )

I tried to talk to the legal team helping me filing VAWA for them to file I765 and I485 thinking that I may qualify looking at the my priority date and dates for filing.

My question is should I go ahead and submit  I765 and I485 now as per B.  DATES FOR FILING (above) OR wait for my visa number to be available which I suppose will be next month in March to use A.  FINAL ACTION DATES

Filed: Other Timeline

Life is dynamic I should say, from a beautiful lovely marriage to a very sour one. My wife withdrew get 130 thus my 485 was denied on Jan 31 and all my mail that came through the mailbox she took them all and hid them from me. On February 3, I went to take out my stuff from the apartment cuz the threats and verbal abuse from her family and herself was unbearable. After packing my stuff and at the door she splashed some chemical in my face causing me not to see, my eyes were burning and watering, the cops came and filed domestic violence against her which I have a copy of the report then the cops called called up immediate medical attention and flushed my eyes which made it a bit better. At the moment I'm on medication plus I've a counseling and therapy sessions coming up. The final court proceedings from the state against her is on Feb 28.

We lived together so we've our names on the lease but at the moment I'm off the lease and I'm at a safe place but I've a copy of the lease agreement,

joint account with our names,

copies of text messages showing threats and abusive language,

I've a copy of her birth certificate,

copies of rent bills

copy of our marriage license

Copy of the police report of the abuse

Receipt for my eye medication.

Should I wait for the final court order of protection, outcome of the therapy and counseling sessions before I can file for vawa victim of abuse? 

Can I file concurrent 485 and 765?

Do I have to redo my 693 medical again attachment to 485 or probably I can go see the doctor to redo one or can I just make a photocopy of the earlier one I did in last May? 

Please help me anyone and everyone. 

Thanks

Edited by aquila
Add on

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Sandra,

I would prefer to close the removal procceedings and have USCIS adjudicate my petitions.

Can you please advise what are the steps to prepare the petition. And should I submitted to the Vermont service center where I have my previous petition sent to.

Filed: Timeline
15 hours ago, MsSara said:

Hi Sandranj,

My husband is GC, Right now I live in Domestic Violence Shelter with my 3 kids.

I already filed VAWA I-360 (only that) and have receipt of notice so far. My priority date is 06May15. I have approved I-130 from my GC husband(abuser)

As per Visa Bulletin

B.  DATES FOR FILING FAMILY-SPONSORED VISA APPLICATIONS is showing F2A - 22NOV15

A.  FINAL ACTION DATES FOR FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCE CASES is showing F2A - 15APR15 (Hopefully it will be showing like 15MAY15 which my date will be earlier than 15MAY15 )

I tried to talk to the legal team helping me filing VAWA for them to file I765 and I485 thinking that I may qualify looking at the my priority date and dates for filing.

My question is should I go ahead and submit  I765 and I485 now as per B.  DATES FOR FILING (above) OR wait for my visa number to be available which I suppose will be next month in March to use A.  FINAL ACTION DATES

Here is an article explaining the difference between A and B. It seems to say you are OK to file now (under B) and will be able to get your EAD. Show it to the legal team helping you. 
http://lhscimmigration.com/immigration-news/news/date-for-filing-vs-final-action-date-the-department-of-states-new-two-tiered-visa-bulletin/

20 hours ago, lyn1234 said:

That lawyer is not serious. Why did he lie? I know it's stressful to keep waiting but hang in there. It will get the receipt soon.

sandra93, I am sorry that you're still waiting. They received mine on 12/21/16, I received receipts on 1/14/17, received fingerprint appt on 2/3/17 and today 2/4/17, I received a prima determination. I hope you receive your NOAs soon. 

How did you address your package? Did you write 'vawa u it before including the rest of the stress or did you just write the address straight up 

5 minutes ago, Hopeful diva said:

How did you address your package? Did you write 'vawa u it before including the rest of the stress or did you just write the address straight up 

Hopeful, I am not sure I understood your question. Please state it again 

17 minutes ago, lyn1234 said:

Hopeful, I am not sure I understood your question. Please state it again 

How did you address your vawa application package prior to sending it out? Did you include 'vawa unit' in the address 

6 minutes ago, Hopeful diva said:

How did you address your vawa application package prior to sending it out? Did you include 'vawa unit' in the address 

Hopeful, like this,

U.S.Department of Homeland Security

U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Services

Vermont Service Center

Attention: VAWA UNIT

75 Lower Welden St,

Saint Albans, VT 05479

4 minutes ago, lyn1234 said:

Hopeful, like this,

U.S.Department of Homeland Security

U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Services

Vermont Service Center

Attention: VAWA UNIT

75 Lower Welden St,

Saint Albans, VT 05479

I didn't specify vawa unit on my package, I hope my package gets to the right unit, it's been two weeks now and no notice of receipt 

3 minutes ago, Hopeful diva said:

I didn't specify vawa unit on my package, I hope my package gets to the right unit, it's been two weeks now and no notice of receipt 

Hopeful, did you track it? It usually takes them 30days to send the receipts. It has been two weeks for your case. No need to worry at this point. Even if you didn't put VAWA unit, when they are sorting, they will realize that it is for VAWA and they will give it to the correct unit. i know it is hard not to worry but they will get it. Good luck!! 

2 minutes ago, lyn1234 said:

Hopeful, did you track it? It usually takes them 30days to send the receipts. It has been two weeks for your case. No need to worry at this point. Even if you didn't put VAWA unit, when they are sorting, they will realize that it is for VAWA and they will give it to the correct unit. i know it is hard not to worry but they will get it. Good luck!! 

Thank you. I tracked it, they recieved it January 23rd. 

7 minutes ago, Hopeful diva said:

Hopeful diva Two weeks aren't reason to worry yet  :) they take 30 days and recently took longer for some cases. Best of luck

Timeline: 

May 2016 retained an attorney and started to prepare my VAWA petition. 

11/08/2016 mailed my packet

11/28/2016 USCIS rejected my packet (expired forms) :(((  

11/29/2016 Mailed my packet again Via ExpressMail (I-360, I-485, I-864w, I-765, I-912, G-325A) with previous rejection notice on top & a request to expedite EAD

12/14/2016 Date on the NOA  

12/31/2016 Attorney emailed my Prima Facie (Notice date 12/19/2018)   (180 days)

01/14/2017 Mailed my husband’s birth certificate with the blue receipt that came with my Prima Facie

01/17/2018 I-360 online Update (correspondence received)

12/25/2016 Notice for Biometrics

01/12/2017 Biometrics completed

01/31/2017 EAD update (Ordered my new card)

02/04/2017 My first EAD delivered.

02/06/2017 Picked my EAD & applied for SSN

02/14/2017 Applied for state ID

02/15/2017 Applied for Medicaid

06/03/2017 Received my Prima Facie (180 days)

10/22/2017 Mailed EAD Renewal  & AP & Waiver (I-765. I-131, I-912) and request to extend PF

11/21/2017 Received my Prima Facie (60 days)

12/13/2017 Received my New EAD/AP combo card

03/08/2018 Received my Prima Facie (60 days)

05/03/2018 Received my 5th Prima Facie (180 days)

05/08/2018   VAWA approved (online Update)

05/14/2018  Case moved to NBC 

05/15/2018 Approval notice & Deferred Action delivered 

07/26/2018 Mailed EAD Renewal  & AP & Waiver (I-765. I-131, I-912)

09/05/2018 update (ِِAfter responding to the senator's inquiry USCIS stated my file was mailed 08/14/2018 and received by NYC field office 08/23/2018) 

9/22/2018 Received my New EAD/AP combo card

10/24/2018  Attorney emailed my interview notice

11/05/2018 Completed the medical (I-693)

11/08/2018  interview for I-485    (took I-693, W2 & Employment verification letter)     Details in this link https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/679733-vawa-part-11/?page=173&tab=comments#comment-9464423

11/16/2018 Received my GC

08/10/2021 Submitted form N-400 Online and received the receipt notice

08/18/2021 Received notice for biometric reuse

01/18/2022 Notice of interview

02/15/2022 Interview for N-400 and test 

02/22/2022 N-400 approved

02/23/2022 Oath Ceremony Scheduled 

03/17/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone.

Hope you all are hanging in there and flourishing. Sorry to the new members of the community for having to join us, but you are SURVIVORS and VICTORS and I hope those here can be of moral support to you. I recently became a US citizen thus completing my personal Visajourney and I wanted to update you all on how the process went.

From my signature you'll see that I became a PR in June 2013. Citizenship timeline is as follows:

- Became eligible in March 2016.

- Filed citizenship packet in May 2016 under section INA 319(a)

- Got NOA1 email & text notification - 5/24/16

- Got Biometrics appointment - 6/7/16. Scheduled for 6/21, but did an early walk in on 6/17/16.

- Loooooooong wait. :clock:

- Got interview notice - Text notification - 11/4/16, Actual notice 11/6/16

- Interview - 12/9/16. Got email and online notification that case was approved on 12/8/16... Whaaaat? :shocked:

- Oath ceremony scheduled for 1/20/2017. (They were just being petty :D)

- 1/20/2017 - Took oath in Nashville, TN. I became a citizen under President Obama. (No, seriously the letters were signed by B.O. I guess since it was before 12 noon, all bets were off. :D)

Now for the nitty-gritty...

Interview experience

I arrived 20 minutes late to my interview (location was 3 hours away from home) but luckily my interviewing officer called me to find out where I was, right after I received a speeding ticket, sigh... And I told her I would be late. She understood because I was coming from a long distance away (I don't know why Nashville interviews are held in Memphis but ok.) and told me she'd wait.

- I checked in with my binder full of women (well, envelope full of copies and the originals of the docs I submitted with my application. I did not carry my VAWA documents with me.

- Waited for my interviewer to be ready for me. (I would advise that you carry reading materials with you, in case you have to wait for a long time. You're not allowed to use electronic devices in there.) While waiting I also observed a lady who was being interviewed come out and go back in several times. The second time she came out her interviewer told her to think about it and not stress over her answers. Apparently she had failed some questions and was being given time to rethink them. More on this later.

- When it was my turn my IO called my name and I followed her to her office. She swore me in and I sat down. We exchanged pleasantries and she began the interview. She asked me if there was anything I wanted to update, and I gave my updates. She had 2 large files with my A# on them and one had VAWA written on it.

- She began the English portion of the test by asking me 2 questions (I don't remember the questions), she asked me to repeat a sentence after her, and then she asked me to read a sentence from a sheet of paper she gave me. She then typed something into her computer, and printed a sheet of paper which said something along the lines of "Congratulations, you've passed the English portion of your test."

- Civics test - She asked me the first question and I quickly gave the WRONG answer. She asked to calm down, take a deep breath, and take my time to think first and not be nervous. And if I needed more time, I could go outside to the lobby to sit for a bit. (This is what the other girl I mentioned earlier was doing apparently. She came out about 3 times before finally leaving, and I saw her at the Oath ceremony so she clearly passed.)

When she asked me first question I gave the right answer this time, and we went through the next five or six this way. I'm sure I wasn't asked 10 questions, but I don't remember if it was 6 or 7 total. She had a sheet of paper where she wrote my answers on it. She told me I passed. Yay!!! Verified more information, and she told me I'd hear from them about the Oath. Later that day I got text messages saying my case had been updated, and an email saying I was approved and recommended for the Oath ceremony.

Oath Ceremony

The oath was scheduled for January 20th, 2017 the Federal courthouse building in downtown Nashville.

Anyway, we got there around 7:45am. Appointment letter said to be there at 7:30. There were a lot of families waiting outside and those of us who were getting naturalized were called in to be given instructions, etc.

So we were told to turn our phones off/put them in silent mode and then they started calling people's names to come up with their completed oath forms and green cards. I completed my form when I was called up, surrendered my green card, signed my naturalization certificate (the USCIS official held onto it after I signed it), and sat down in my assigned seat. The seats had the naturalization packets in them containing

- A letter from the President. (I was curious to see if it would be the new President who would sign our letters, but it turned out to be B.O. YAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!)

- Passport application

- Voter registration

- Hard envelope for the naturalization certificates

We then practiced the presentation to the judge, where the USCIS officer calls names and you stand up as your name is called, say your full name and your country of origin. We were also informed that any of us who had children who were permanent residents would have derivative citizenship status right after the ceremony. Kids under 14 wouldn't have an interview, and kids 14 - 16 would have an interview.

After this our guests were let in. The courtroom was also open to other people from the Daughters of the American revolution, the election council (I think it was the election council) and our Representative's office.

After this the judge entered the courtroom and all of us (the naturalization applicants) were sworn in. The motions for naturalization and name changes were presented by the USCIS officer and the judge granted both motions. After this the USCIS officer presented us to the judge with a roll call. There were about 60 or so naturalization applicants from 28 countries. 1 person was a no-show. The judge then proceeded to give a lovely speech on immigration and how the US has benefitted from immigrants and he listed several naturalized Americans including former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, and several other distinguished Americans. After this we all stood up and swore the Oath of Allegiance (led by one applicant) and then it was congratulations all around.

Whew... That was long. I think I remembered everything, but if anyone has any questions please ask away.

July 2011 - Applied for VAWA with I-765 and I-485 with fee waivers - receipt date Aug 4, 2011
August 10th 2011 - Received NOA's for all 3, fee waivers accepted
August 26th 2011 - Received EAD
Early July 2012 - Re-applied for EAD based on pending I-485
Mid July 2012 - Received NOA for 2nd EAD
August 1st 2012 - Received EAD
Silence for a few more months
October 26th 2012 - I-360 approval
November 19th '12 - Case transferred
May 2013 - Received interview notice

June 2013 - Interview (approved)

Permanent resident since June 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.