Jacque67

The Trump administration is already on its way to new ethical low

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Though he campaigned as the scourge of the elite who would come to Washington and drain the swamp, even before he takes office Donald Trump is establishing a new low when it comes to financial entanglements and the exploitation of government for personal financial gain. And he has sent a clear signal to those coming to work for him: Dont worry about ethics.

I want to point to a couple of stories out this morning that show us how resistant to transparency about its financial conflicts of interest the Trump administration is shaping up to be. First, from Josh Gerstein, we learn that the president-elect is considering an arrangement that can be labeled a trust but still allows him to use the presidency to increase his wealth:

Donald Trumps aides are considering a business arrangement that critics say would allow him or his appointees to sidestep conflict-of-interest laws governing the incoming administration and large investments in private-sector business.

Aides responsible for setting up ethics firewalls have held discussions with officials at the Office of Government Ethics about establishing whats known as a discretionary trust, according to two sources briefed on the talks.

Such an arrangement could allow Trump or his family members to reap some of the legal benefits of a blind trust, but could also give them some insight into how the Trump businesses are faring while also allowing Trump and his family to continue to make money from those investments.

It sounds a lot like what Trump has proposed before letting his kids run the business for him (yes, the kids who just got caught trying to sell access to themselves and their father) while Trump still reaps the financial benefit, and according to Gerstein the OGE is unlikely to approve it though as Trump himself has noted, many of the relevant rules dont apply to the president, so he can do what he wants. The key point is that there will still be ways for people governments, private interests to funnel money to Trump while hes president, and there will no shortage of actors eager to do so.

Donald Trump's many potential conflicts of interest, explained Play Video3:02

Donald Trump has a lot of potential conflicts of interest as president but there's no law that specifically requires a commander in chief to remove themselves from all of their business interests. The Fix's Peter W. Stevenson explains why presidents usually put their assets in a "blind trust" to avoid problems. (Peter Stevenson/The Washington Post)

I may sound like a broken record on this point, but the public absolutely needs to see Trumps tax returns if were ever to understand the full scope of his conflicts of interest. And make no mistake: He has no intention of letting us see them. Ever. His line about not being able to release them while hes being audited by the IRS was bogus the first time he said it and remains bogus today. When that audit is over, hell come up with an equally bogus excuse, or perhaps not bother coming up with one at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/12/21/the-trump-administration-is-already-on-its-way-to-a-new-ethical-low/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not really sure you can believe anything printed in the Washington Post.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Not really sure you can believe anything printed in the Washington Post.

there are ways to rid yourself of such uncertainty. put down the kool aid, read the washington post, and fact check yourself whatever you read that doesn't sit right with you.

Not sure this should come as a surprise to anyone. Elect a guy with an 'unpresidented' lack of ethics, and this is what you get.

Yes next thing you know he will be banging interns in the Oval Office. Unpresidented indeed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

there are ways to rid yourself of such uncertainty. put down the kool aid, read the washington post, and fact check yourself whatever you read that doesn't sit right with you.

Why even bother to fill your head with garbage? And then waste time with fake fact checkers such as snopes?

i will pass.

Why even bother to fill your head with garbage? And then waste time with fake fact checkers such as snopes?

i will pass.

i've long known diy research was not your forte. too much work for some fellas. i get it. life is hard learnin all on your own.

its an unhinged door

ah, i see. trump is in fact unhinged and the open door symbolizes the entry to trump's new ethical low. insightful, nb. proud of you.

ah, i see. trump is in fact unhinged and the open door symbolizes the entry to trump's new ethical low. insightful, nb. proud of you.

If that is your interpretation and that makes you happy.. Then by all means

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

And now the Trump boys are expected to give up their charity work. Thousands of innocent children will die because of this obsession with Trump's power

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg