Jump to content

K1/AOS Affidavit of support does not meet 125%

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


First I'd like to thanks this awesome community that helped us a lot through the whole, sometime confusing, process of K1 visa and AOS.

I got married through the K1 visa and applied for the Green Card, I received a Request of Initial Evidence saying that my sponsor (wife) does not meet the 125% of the poverty guideline.

For the past few years we were traveling together, that is why she wasn't able to work and did not me the poverty guideline, we're now living in the U.S. and she's back to work.

I work online as a freelancer in I.T. but I'm not supposed to put my income on the I-864.

It's been now over 6 months that we are married and I live in the U.S. with her, which give me the ability to put my income on the I-864.

The Request of Initial Evidence I received is asking either for assets or a joint sponsor, unfortunately we have neither of both.

I'd like to know if I can reply with a new, updated, I-864, containing her new incomes and combined with my incomes, which will meet the 125% of the poverty guideline, though we don't have tax return for the year 2016 yet, as it is supposed to be done at the beginning of next year.

If the previous option isn't suitable, I'll probably then get denied on this application, then, I'd like to know how "safe" it is for me to stay until we get the new tax return and then reapply for the whole Green Card process?

Thank you!

Edited by Sheraf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can supply an updated I-864 listing her current annual income and providing documents to prove she is earning that amount, such as letter from employer and recent pay stubs. You can include your income if your income will continue from the same source once you become a permanent resident. You must provide proof that the income will continue from the source, along with documentation proving your income amount. Since you are self-employed, it would be so much better if you had a tax return showing your income on it, but if you must respond to the RFE before you can file your 2016 taxes, then provide as much proof as you can of your income, including bank statements showing your income deposits.

There is no guarantee that they will accept the updated I-864 with her having recent new incomes, but provide as many months of pay stubs as possible. If it is not accepted and they deny you, then you will be out of status, but should not leave the US. Stay and file again. You will be in a period of authorized stay once again when you refile.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.