Private One

Applying for Citizenship Before ROC Adjudication

10 posts in this topic

I know this can be done (see quote and link below from USCIS) but it doesn't seem like the common thing to do. I've searched VJ but can't find any topics where people file for naturalization before the successful removal of conditions on permanent residency.

Anyone here done this before? Please share your story.

Thanks!

2. Spouses with Pending ​Petitions and Naturalization Applications​

An application for naturalization may not be approved if there is a pending petition for removal of conditions.​ ​If an applicant’s petition to remove conditions is pending at the time of filing or is filed prior to the interview, USCIS will adjudicate the petition to remove conditions prior to or concurrently with the adjudication of the naturalization application.​ [6] ​

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

People on this forum do it all the time. If you file for naturalization before your ROC, it will usually force them to adjudicate your ROC.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

That's surprising because I could not find topics discussing this. Maybe I did not look hard enough...sorry if that's the case.

You say people here do it all the time but I see a lot of posts where people voice their concerns over having to wait for ROC approval before filing for naturalization.

Thanks for your input.

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

If you are looking for someone who did it, that's me. I also applied N400 while my ROC was still pending but my ROC was approved soon after I sent my N400 package, I had my new card when I had my N400 interview. Feel free to check my timeline to see what I included with my application.

If you are looking for someone who went through a joint I751 - N400 interview experience, there was just one this week. Here is the link to that post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/618039-what-happens-at-2nd-naturalization-interview/

Timeline

Yeah, everyone always responds to people with "just search for the topic!" but in all reality, the search feature is nearly useless. :wacko: You can't do a very specific search, and you can't do it by date... So it really doesn't always help!

Anyway, you can certainly wait for people who have gone through it to answer, but I know I've seen the topic at least a dozen times in my eight months on the forum! Filing for naturalization will help them to adjudicate your ROC.

Good luck to you!

No search is pretty useful but unfortunately people who started those topics never remember to come back and complete their entries. I also went through the same search and found quite a bit threads mostly from 3-4 years ago on this but I cannot found one that thoroughly shared what happened in the end. That's an issue with VJ or any website same kind, people start a topic but never came back to update their experience.

Yes filing naturalization would help adjudication of ROC but people forget about one huge thing here; it would help as long as it is not a background check related delay. If ROC is pending due to the laziness of an officer, yes N400 would help but if ROC is pending due to pending background checks, N400 will not help in any way. Only good thing there, once background check clears both I751 and N400 would move together, therefore the applicant won't lose any further time but that's about it.

If you are looking for someone who did it, that's me. I also applied N400 while my ROC was still pending but my ROC was approved soon after I sent my N400 package, I had my new card when I had my N400 interview. Feel free to check my timeline to see what I included with my application.

If you are looking for someone who went through a joint I751 - N400 interview experience, there was just one this week. Here is the link to that post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/618039-what-happens-at-2nd-naturalization-interview/

Thanks for the feedback, advice and link Charmander.

I wonder if your filing of the N400 had anything to do with the approval of your ROC soon after...maybe just coincidence. As far as the unreliable search goes - lol. I figured it would be pretty accurate because it's Google Custom Search but as it turns out, I assumed wrong.

Timeline

Thanks for the feedback, advice and link Charmander.

I wonder if your filing of the N400 had anything to do with the approval of your ROC soon after...maybe just coincidence. As far as the unreliable search goes - lol. I figured it would be pretty accurate because it's Google Custom Search but as it turns out, I assumed wrong.

Probably just a coincidence because there is literally one business day difference between my N400 NOA date and I751 approval date but who knows maybe someone going through my N400 package saw my I751 was still pending and decided to give that VSC officer a call to check what's going on.

Yeah, everyone always responds to people with "just search for the topic!" but in all reality, the search feature is nearly useless. :wacko:You can't do a very specific search, and you can't do it by date... So it really doesn't always help!

Anyway, you can certainly wait for people who have gone through it to answer, but I know I've seen the topic at least a dozen times in my eight months on the forum! Filing for naturalization will help them to adjudicate your ROC.

Good luck to you!

You can do all of this with the advanced search feature. There are all sorts of parameters you can use to do a specific search including dates, which forums to search, specific words, and members names. The advanced search option is located in the top right corner of any page right under your board name and the sign in/sign out feature. I'll leave the link below as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search

You can do all of this with the advanced search feature. There are all sorts of parameters you can use to do a specific search including dates, which forums to search, specific words, and members names. The advanced search option is located in the top right corner of any page right under your board name and the sign in/sign out feature. I'll leave the link below as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search

I had NO idea that this existed! I swear I've clicked on every link here a million times but somehow I've completely missed that. That should make things a lot easier for me :) Thank you!! I as always wondering how people were pulling up such specific posts... I just figured they remembered the discussion very well, ha!

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.