Harmonia

What Happens at 2nd Naturalization Interview?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband and I were very disappointed this week. He was told he needs a 2nd interview because he did not demonstrate an ability to speak and understand English and will receive a second interview. What will happen then? Here's what happened.

We filed I-751 ROC in Aug. 2015 and N-400 in May 2016. The I-751 wasn't ever approved, so we reached out to our Congressman once his N-400 was scheduled for Boston. We got a letter from USCIS saying both would be adjudicated at the same time. Our Congressman's office told me to go with my husband because they'd do the I-751 interview first.

We both showed up, he was called, and went back with the adjudicator who was Mr. Singh. I'm not putting his first name on here to protect his privacy, but both first and last name were on a nameplate in his office. Mr. Singh had a strong accent. He asked if I'm the attorney of record, and I said no, I'm the spouse. He said "you aren't supposed to be here". I showed him the USCIS letter saying both I-751 and N-400 would be adjudicated and explained i was told to come. He said he didn't know that and had to log into a different computer system.

Then Mr. Singh said he would do the I-751 first. He said to my husband, "So you are from Colombia?" No, he is from Guatemala. This is what he asked us, both together (not separated/Stokes interview):

1) When and where we were married, and he asked both of us our birth dates. He told my husband to take out his driver's license, green card, and passport, but he didn't have the green card because USCIS took it when he got a stamp after the I-751 extension letter expired in Aug. So, he gave him the extension letter.

2) How we met and what was my husband's status in the US when we met

3) Was my husband ever arrested or deported (no)

4) Where do we live? I told him, and he asked if that's near NY. No, its in Southeast MA near RI.

5) What does my husband do for work

6) What do I do for work. He then asked follow up questions: is that a government job? (no, nonprofit) How is my work funded? (donations, grants, contracts) Am I a lawyer? (no, I work with lawyers and do fundraising)

7) How much is my salary? How much did I make last year?

8) How much is my husband's salary? How much did we make on our taxes last year? I offered to show him the 4 years of IRS transcripts I brought, and he said that wasn't necessary.

9) Where do we live (again)

10) How much is our rent? He commented our rent is cheap. Do we live by NY? No...we live 1 hr 20 min away, south of here, as I stated before.

11) How long have we lived there? We told him and then said, before our current place we lived with my mom, then we lived in another state before. My husband offered to show statements and bills with our address. We had a 2 inch stack of papers on my lap.

12) Do we have kids? No, only a dog and 2 cats.

At that point, another adjudicator knocked on the door and interrupted us to ask if the previous person had left photos. Mr. Singh said no. This other adjudicator also had an accent and appeared to be Latino.

13) Who is our landlord? We told him, and he asked if we have a lease. I said, "I have an old copy of our lease, which I can show you and was also sent in the I-751 packet. But it is expired and we rent month to month without a lease." He seemed confused and said, you pay "$XX" for rent. And you live where again? Near NY? NOTE: We live NOWHERE near NY. We live 4 hours from NY. I do not know why he kept bringing up NY. I said, "No, as I stated, we live 1 hr 20 min from here. You take Rt X to Rt Y. Yes, rent is significantly cheaper. There's a challenge in our city of low income people from Boston moving to our city because rent is so much cheaper and a Section 8 voucher goes a lot further." He asked for our landlord's number. My husband gave him the number. I said, you can call him now but he's a HS teacher and it was during the school day. I stated the landlord owns the house, lives in the bottom unit, and we live in the top. He took the number and never called our landlord.

At that point, Mr. Singh said "I am approving the I-751". He asked me to leave. I left.

About 15 minutes later, my husband came out upset. He had a paper with him showing he passed the civics exam (6/6 right), the written exam, and the oral exam. However, the box was checked saying he did not demonstrate an ability to understand and speak English and a decision could not be made at the time. He thinks it is because he thrice asked Mr. Singh to repeat the question.

Note, I *also* asked Mr. Singh the same thing at one point. I could not understand him due to his accent. I was surprised an immigrant with an accent was interviewing another immigrant with an accent to ascertain his command of English. My husband was told he'll get a follow up letter with a new appointment.

Has this happened to anyone? Will he have an entirely new civics exam? We are frankly concerned. My husband is a supervisor at his workplace, where he manages staff and clients and they all only speak English. He did 4 years of ESL at a state college and a community college. He speaks English every day! He is disappointed and doesn't know what else to study. Its not like he failed the civics test. He got all those answers correct, the first 6 out of 6.

Other notes: Mr. Singh didn't let me show him anything we brought except the USCIS letter saying both applications would be adjudicated at the same appointment and our marriage certificate. He took a photo copy of our marriage certificate at his desk and gave us the original.

We also live in one of the largest cities in MA. I'm surprised he didn't have a basic understanding of the state's geography. We live a mere 50 miles from Boston.

Edited by Harmonia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Funny enough all Western MA counties that are close to the NY border are served by the Lawrence field office. I wonder if he thinks Long Island is connected to Massachusetts or something.

Sorry for the experience, but I'm glad your ROC journey is over. You guys have been waiting for a long while. I'm sure next interview would be a much better experience. I hope you guys get a new date soon and I think the above suggestion is also great, if the 2nd interviewer is also very hard to understand and in the end fails your husband, ask him to speak with the supervisor. Good luck in the 2nd interview and keep us posted how it goes.

Thank you so much mtp897! That's very good information. My husband is relieved it'll be a different interviewer this time. And thank you Charmander for the support. Maybe Mr. Singh was confused when I said we live south of Boston, near RI. It wouldn't be the first time people hear RI and think Long Island, NY.

Edited by Harmonia

...About 15 minutes later, my husband came out upset. He had a paper with him showing he passed the civics exam (6/6 right), the written exam, and the oral exam. However, the box was checked saying he did not demonstrate an ability to understand and speak English and a decision could not be made at the time. He thinks it is because he thrice asked Mr. Singh to repeat the question.

Note, I *also* asked Mr. Singh the same thing at one point. I could not understand him due to his accent. I was surprised an immigrant with an accent was interviewing another immigrant with an accent to ascertain his command of English. My husband was told he'll get a follow up letter with a new appointment.

Has this happened to anyone? Will he have an entirely new civics exam? We are frankly concerned. My husband is a supervisor at his workplace, where he manages staff and clients and they all only speak English. He did 4 years of ESL at a state college and a community college. He speaks English every day! He is disappointed and doesn't know what else to study. Its not like he failed the civics test. He got all those answers correct, the first 6 out of 6.

That's a hard pill to swallow. How do you pass someone on civics, written and oral and fail them on the count of not being able to understand and speak English?

@charmander

I think the repetitive asking of the same question "where do you live" was an attempt to see if the answers given were consistent.

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Keep the faith.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

He has a 2nd N-400 interview scheduled in a few weeks. We haven't received the 10 year green card yet. I ran into our Congressman's immigration caseworker yesterday at a community event, and she said she will check because we should have received the card within a month after the Nov. interview. But, she said sometimes the field offices forget to tell them to produce the card! 

When looking at his case status online, it still says I-751 application received in Aug. 2015. It never changed to biometrics, or anything, since them, let alone approved.

Fingers crossed for his 2nd interview. I'm unable to attend due to a work conference, but they wouldn't let me in the room for it anyway. The interview appointment letter is identical to the first one. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
17 hours ago, Harmonia said:

He has a 2nd N-400 interview scheduled in a few weeks. We haven't received the 10 year green card yet. I ran into our Congressman's immigration caseworker yesterday at a community event, and she said she will check because we should have received the card within a month after the Nov. interview. But, she said sometimes the field offices forget to tell them to produce the card! 

When looking at his case status online, it still says I-751 application received in Aug. 2015. It never changed to biometrics, or anything, since them, let alone approved.

Fingers crossed for his 2nd interview. I'm unable to attend due to a work conference, but they wouldn't let me in the room for it anyway. The interview appointment letter is identical to the first one. 

USCIS at its best (!). At least they didn't delay his 2nd interview too long. Feels like your spouse may not see his 10 year card ever and go straight to his oath ceremony. Good luck at the interview, keep us posted.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 1/18/2017 at 4:09 PM, Harmonia said:

I don't know if we can trust online status. My N-400 was expedited and I became U.S. Citizen on 12/21/2016. My status had been "My fingerprint was scheduled and ....". It just changed to another status 2 days after I became U.S. citizen. As of today, my status was "my oath ceremony was scheduled....." which is obvious. I already have the naturalization certificate in hand, got my passport, updated my SSN, and registered for voting. I don't know what in the world USCIS has been doing with their online status!!!!!

9 hours ago, prettypass2000 said:

I don't know if we can trust online status. My N-400 was expedited and I became U.S. Citizen on 12/21/2016. My status had been "My fingerprint was scheduled and ....". It just changed to another status 2 days after I became U.S. citizen. As of today, my status was "my oath ceremony was scheduled....." which is obvious. I already have the naturalization certificate in hand, got my passport, updated my SSN, and registered for voting. I don't know what in the world USCIS has been doing with their online status!!!!!

Don't trust the online status updates you get from the website, most of the time they are not accurate at all. We still have too many individual systems that don't talk to each other, however ELIS is now starting to get going the way they are hoping, all the cases I think will eventually move to the one ELIS system so it will hopefully be easier to get updates.

@ptm897Thanks for the insight...

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.