24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When I worked for the NHS in the UK one of my colleagues got called for jury duty. It lasted a month. Not only did he get a full wage from the NHS, he also got around 50 quid a day from the courts for his time. On top of that he got travel expenses. He came out of there a bit richer and quite happy. It was an Old Bailey case though, so don't know if that is why he did so well....

But it is standard with the majority of above board employers in the UK to pay you during jury duty. Not bad really....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Well, at my job we don't get paid if we have jury duty unless we take vacation time.

I thought that was illegal? Dont they have to pay you?

I thought that too so I contacted the state and they told me that if a place is privately own (the doc I work for owns all his clinics) then they can more less make up their own rules.

My mom just had jury duty and even though she got paid for it from her employer, the judge said if 40 dollars a day (from the govt for the services) was too little, to let them know and you'd be excused. This was in a murder trial.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I had jury duty in the UK. I got a choice of getting paid by the court, or from my employer. So, I chose to get paid throught the company I worked for. It was in a high court, in Scotland, and lasted 11 days. Also got free lunch every day, and paid traveling expenses.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

• 1 year later...
You need to be a USC to serve on a jury correct?

Yes :) Jury duty and voting are for USC's only.

Sorry to burst your bubble....

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Permanent Residents can vote.... DH has a voters registration card!!!!

Never say good bye with tears....just say see ya later with a smile........

American, through and through........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you ever tried to find an election - even at the State and local level - that doesn't require you to be a US citizen? I have - there are not any in our area. US Citizenship is a requirement even at the local level. Be very careful about registering to vote if you are a permanent resident.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I was a student in Chicago 1999-2001... when I was back in Germany, my college forwarded mail to me. I still got jury duty notices. It's a violation not to respond, and even though I was in a country far away, I wanted to keep the American law happy in case I wanted to return. I guess you get into the system when you apply for a Driver's Liscence or state ID and they don't ask if you're a USC or not. Getting off of that list while already living back in Germany took me a couple of phone calls with individuals who mostly didn't know how to answer my questions (though finally somebody could help me) How ridiculous! Checking the "I'm not a USC" box on the answer doesn't get you off the list for the future. I could keep going on how silly this all is, but... really, it's just silly...

timelineAUG20.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I get called from time to time to serve on jury duty (reasonably enough since i am USC). It has always been for drug cases. When the prosecution hears that I am a Ph.D. chemist, they have, every single time, dismissed me.

Kinda tells you something, huh?

Edited by novotul

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That's such a downside of citizenship... I personally don't believe in juries, and I don't want to judge anyone as I don't feel fit for it. I also would never find a murderer guilty no matter what because I do not believe in death sentence. I hope they will never pick me for my "extreme" views.

On another side... $40 a day? That's nothing, that's what many people make within less than 2 hours! We'd loose a ton of money for that! And what about childcare? And as somebody else mentioned, what about gross details? I can't even watch a horror movie without weeks of nightmares... I hope they consider that...

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Be very very very careful.

Yes, there I've heard there are state and local elections that do not require US Citizenship, but all Federal elections are for US Citizens only. And in fact, I don't know where such state and local elections are that don't require US Citizenship.

If you register to vote in a federal election, or if you actually cast a ballot, that's a federal crime, a deportable offense, and a permanent bar to ever getting citizenship. They're harsh on enforcement of that law. They don't accept the excuse "I didn't know", or "I thought this election was open to permanent residents".

Furthermore, it's really easy to register to vote, and nobody will check your citizenship status. They'll just ask you to sign a form that, somewhere in the fine print, says "I certify that I'm a US Citizen over 18 years of age". So it's really easy to make the mistake of registering when you're not supposed to. There have been a few sad threads over on the US Citizenship forum about people who have made that mistake.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.