mikeandkristina

Car insurance, drivers license, etc in Illinois

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

All of this stupid stuff is super confusing and it's stressing me out. I'm entering the US on a K-1 Visa.

1. I've been searching information on what to do about obtaining an Illinois driver's license and can't find any answers...When can I get one and what do I need to get one?

2. What can I do about auto insurance? My fiancee is planning on adding me to her insurance, but can she do that before I get my driver's license or maybe my SSN?

3. Add health insurance and the other benefits (vision, dental, etc.) to that list.

My insurance company here in Canada told me that I need cancel my auto insurance the day I move to the US (November 12th). So that means I will be without insurance on my drive all the way to Chicago from Ontario. It's not that I'm worried about anything happening, it's just the thought of something happening.

Also, when can I obtain my SSN? Do I go into an SSN office to get one after I've received my work authorization? If i need to wait to get anything that I've stated above until I get my SSN, that's crazy.

Thank you!

Edited by mikeandkristina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

All of this stupid stuff is super confusing and it's stressing me out. I'm entering the US on a K-1 Visa.

1. I've been searching information on what to do about obtaining an Illinois driver's license and can't find any answers...When can I get one and what do I need to get one?

2. What can I do about auto insurance? My fiancee is planning on adding me to her insurance, but can she do that before I get my driver's license or maybe my SSN?

3. Add health insurance and the other benefits (vision, dental, etc.) to that list.

My insurance company here in Canada told me that I need cancel my auto insurance the day I move to the US (November 12th). So that means I will be without insurance on my drive all the way to Chicago from Ontario. It's not that I'm worried about anything happening, it's just the thought of something happening.

Also, when can I obtain my SSN? Do I go into an SSN office to get one after I've received my work authorization? If i need to wait to get anything that I've stated above until I get my SSN, that's crazy.

Thank you!

DL you have to look up the laws in your state since it is very different. (Ask your DMW or look at their webpage) Some sates give it to K-1's, some after NOA1 from AOS and many have to wait til after they get their EAD. Ex. here in GA I was allowed to drive 30 days and then I can't drive more until I get my EAD and then can get the GA DL.

I'm on my husbands car insurance

SSN you can go to the SSN office and get one. I went 2 days after I got here and received a week later in the mail.

Edited by Georgia16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Take a look at this thread, it's from 2014, but may be useful.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500917-drivers-license-in-illinois-with-a-k-1-while-waiting-ead-and-green-card/

As Georgia said, you can get SSN after arriving.

When you can get added to your fiance's health insurance depends on her policy. Some are after marriage, some can be up to 30 days ahead. I could only be added after marriage so I bought a interim policy meant for incoming immigrants in order to bridge that period.

In terms of Canada specific advice, if you want banking to use before you get your ssn, look into RBC or td cross borde banking. It allowed me to get a us credit card before I left as it was based on my Canadian credit history. Which was super useful until I got an ssn.

AOS from K1

4/20/16: Package delivered

4/27/16: NOA1

5/23/16: Biometrics

6/3/16: Ready for interview status on I-485

7/5/16: SR1 filed (over 75 days)

7/26/16: SR2 filed (over 90 days) - 96 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hang in there - it can be bewildering when there is so much going on.

Although you're not married yet.....start reading the Adjustment of Status (from Family based Visas) forum here (you'll be doing it soon)- everyone there is now going through the same thing because you're all here and you'll find useful advice .

Your Fiancee can ask her Benefits/ HR person at work - I happen to work in HR and I don't think I've come across a policy which would't add you at date of marriage as a 'life event'. For myself I was married 2 weeks after we arrived so it wasn't long. They usually want your SSN at that time, but they can add you without...but it is an ongoing requirement to have an SSN for Health insurance purposes listed but the SSN site does indicate you don't require a social to be added to insurance so your Fiancee should not back down and provide the SSN site information to her HR person. They aren't SSN experts, they work in benefits.

SSN - https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm Read carefully through the documents you need to apply (Adult/ new/ noncitizen category), fill out the form and head on down. You may run into some resistance based on other posts but I'm sure someone can help. the SSN site does indicate you cannot obtain an SSN just for the purpose of obtaining a drivers.

Welcome!

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

A k1 can obtain an SSN as soon as they cross the border. If female, the SSN should be obtained ASAP in visa name and switched later. SSN people are notorious about wanting the EAD or green card in married name if you even mentioned you're married when you obtain the SSN. You have until 2 weeks before the I-94 (aka 90 days) expires. After that point you must wait for the EAD or green card to obtain the SSN.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.