Sign in to follow this  
R16M05-77

I-129F is getting close to expiring

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey I have a question. My fiance's I-129F expired on Nov 20, 2016. She still needs to get the medical exam and has not yet scheduled the interview. Here is the back story. I am a contractor for the US Air Force and was supposed to have a full time position at Kadena. While we were waiting for that all to go thru we held off getting the medical exam and the other parts of the final process to get the interview. Fast forward to now and it looks like my permanent position just became temporary and I will be there only till the end of the year. Is there anything we can do? Or will we be forced to do the process all over again?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey I have a question. My fiance's I-129F expired on Nov 20, 2016. She still needs to get the medical exam and has not yet scheduled the interview. Here is the back story. I am a contractor for the US Air Force and was supposed to have a full time position at Kadena. While we were waiting for that all to go thru we held off getting the medical exam and the other parts of the final process to get the interview. Fast forward to now and it looks like my permanent position just became temporary and I will be there only till the end of the year. Is there anything we can do? Or will we be forced to do the process all over again?

Assuming that your fiance would be able to complete her medical and the interview before the expiration of your petition and is then approved for the visa, her K-1 would be valid for 6 months from the date of her medical exam. Then, of course, upon entry to the US, you'll have 90 days to marry.

Without delving into your continued employment and other details, focusing strictly on your remaining timeline, it sounds like you could make it work assuming she is interviewed before the petition expiration.

Good luck!

Edited by rocklobstermass

K1

02/11/16 - Form I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

08/30/16 - Rio Consulate Interview - 221(g) - Incorrect State Police Certificate submitted - case approved pending submission of correct certificate

09/26/16 - Passport received (with K1 Visa)

10/04/16 - POE Atlanta

10/24/16 - SSN application submitted

10/29/16 - Marriage

AOS

11/10/16 - Forms I-485, I-765, and I-131 mailed to Chicago lockbox

12/21/16 - Biometrics Appointment - St Paul, MN

02/13/17 - I-765, I-131 Approved: New Card is being Produced

05/08/17 - I-485 NOA2 text and e-mail received (Approved - no interview)

05/13/17 - Conditional (2-year) Green Card Received

ROC

02/12/2019 - Form I-751 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

08/27/2019 - Biometrics (Walk-In) - St Paul, MN

12/17/2019 - I-751 Approved: New Card is being Produced (NO Interview)

12/21/2019 - 10-year Green Card received via USPS

N-400

02/08/2020 - Form N-400 Submitted Online

02/15/2020 - Biometrics Appointment Notification Mailed

03/02/2020 - Biometrics Appointment - St Paul MN

If the expiration date is still in November, 2016, she still has time and can hurry and get things done. If it's already expired and you put the wrong date here, you can still try and contact her embassy to try and extend it so she can still go through with the k1 visa

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Suggest that you contact the interviewing embassy/consulate with your concern.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I-129F petition expiration can be extended by the consulate. You most likely do not need to be present for her to interview there, but you can always ask about getting an interview date before you are supposed to depart.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I have similar issue no at the moment.

I’ve paid the fee and when I tried to make the appointment, the website shows "there's no current available date"

and I-129F is expiring on 14/11.

i emailed them and they just told me to wait and check the website from time to time if new slot have been opened on my preferred date.

It really drives me crazy!! :(

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html#M502_7_5

Validity of a K-1 Petition: An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action. However, the consular officer may revalidate the petition any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States. However, the longer the period of time since the filing of the petition, the greater the concern about the intentions of the couple, particularly the intentions of the petitioner in the United States. If the officer is not convinced that the U.S. citizen petitioner continues to intend to marry the beneficiary, including instances where no action has been taken on the application for a year (while refused under INA 221(g)), the petition should be returned to the approving office of USCIS with an explanatory memorandum. (See 9 FAM 502.7-5(B) paragraph b.(5) for revalidation procedure.)

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.