Matermultis

Sponsor for one or everyone?

9 posts in this topic

This has not yet come up as an issue, but I am thinking about how it works out for the future. I am petitioning for my husband and am wondering since I am not an earner by any stretch, if my family sponsor my husband in the US does the sponsor need to show financial ability to support just my husband or the whole family, kids included?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They would need to make enough for their own family plus any immigrants.

So, say your family is you, your husband, a US citizen child and child your husband has from a previous relationship (ie a foreign kid that will need a visa too). And the co-sponsor has a wife and 4 kids.

Your household size for sponsorship would be 4 (all your family). The co-sponsor's household size would be 8 (all his family, plus the two immigrants).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

They would need to make enough for their own family plus any immigrants.

So, say your family is you, your husband, a US citizen child and child your husband has from a previous relationship (ie a foreign kid that will need a visa too). And the co-sponsor has a wife and 4 kids.

Your household size for sponsorship would be 4 (all your family). The co-sponsor's household size would be 8 (all his family, plus the two immigrants).

Thank you for this reply. I was really under the impression that the sponsor does not have to vouch for any of the other US citizens in the family. Also, would you happen to know if the sponsor needs to have the form filled out prior to the interview at the embassy? Thanks again

The sponsor needs to make enough to cover all of his family (whatever nationality they are, including USCs) plus any immigrants (non USCs).

We are using a joint sponsor who has a wife and three children. He therefore has to show he makes enough for 6 people (himself, his wife, their three children- all USCs - and me). He doesn't have to make enough to cover my husband because my husband is a USC.

The I-864 for sponsors and joint sponsors is submitted at the NVC stage.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

as said, as the petitioner, regardless of your income, you are the primary sponsor. You will fill out the i864 as sponsor with your household size. yourself, your husband and if you have any children, they will go on the form

now your joint sponsor will fill out another i864 and will include his or herself, his or her family, plus your husband

the joint sponsor doesn't include your family, but theirs yes, including USC, because they have to make enough money to cover their family, themselves, plus the immigrant or immigrants, if more than one

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm totally confused because it seems illogical.

So as a US citizen, with US citizen children, we cannot return to the US with my foreign citizen husband without everyone in my family being sponsored?

That doesn't make sense that we would all need to be sponsored even though we are mostly US citizens.

You are misunderstanding. Only the intending immigrant(s) need sponsorship. Any sponsor, primary or joint, must include everyone in their own household plus the intending immigrant(s). So, if the joint sponsor was single with no dependents, then they would have a household count of 2. If the joint sponsor is married with no other dependents, then it would be a household count of 3. If they are married and have one dependent, then it is a household count of 4.

For your I-864, you must include all your minor children and any other tax dependents plus your husband, the intending immigrant.

How to count household size >

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

if your husband has any assets, you can add that onto the I-864 that you fill out.

Marriage (if applicable): 2012-12-08

USCIS

I-130 Sent : 2016-05-02

I-130 NOA1 : 2016-05-11

Approved : 2016-08-24

NVC

NVC Received : 2016-10-03

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2016-10-15

Pay AOS Bill : 2016-10-15

Send AOS Package : 2016-11-01

Submit DS-261 : 2016-10-15

Receive IV Bill : 2016-10-18

Pay IV Bill : 2016-10-18

Send IV Package : 2016-11-01

Case Completed at NVC : 2016-11-04

NVC Left : 2016-11-11

US Embassy

Consulate Received : 2016-11-11

Interview Date : 2017-01-10

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.