john smith 12123

Applying for new job on expired GC

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Guys,

My GC expired in August, i-751 underway since may (fingers crossed)

I just wanted to know if I could apply for jobs in the period? go for interviews? how do I prove I can legally work?

I'm worried the extension letter will be a red flag to them as they might think I won't be employable for too long (potentially).

Any way to deal with this? Or way around it?

any help if very much appreciated,

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes you can legally work but employers may have doubts about retaining you after training you. Big companies are usually more standard, you say you don't need sponsorship, fill i9 and pass e verify. With smaller employers you might need to explain what the process is. I551 stamp may raise less questions than the extension notice. I personally chose to stay put while it's pending.

------------------------------------------------------------

2003-08-21: first visit to US on F-1

2009-09-17: first met ex-spouse

2013-05-14: re-entered US on K-1

2013-05-20: married to ex-spouse

2013-12-27: received conditional green card

2014-04-01: separated from ex-spouse

2014-10-01: divorced from ex-spouse

2015-06-25: sent I-751

2016-04-11: received RFE

2016-06-08: sent RFE reply

2016-09-20: new card ordered

2016-09-23: new card mailed

2016-09-28: new card picked up by USPS

2016-09-30: new card delivered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Someone recently pointed out for all employment purposes a valid DL and a SSN card without showing any employment restrictions are sufficient.

Check Page 9 of Form I-9. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

GC is under List A, but you can show one document form List B and one from List C for employment verification. So in a way you don't have to show anyone your expired GC. Whether the employer would like this or not is another story.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know if I could apply for jobs in the period? go for interviews? how do I prove I can legally work?

I'm worried the extension letter will be a red flag to them as they might think I won't be employable for too long (potentially).

You can also submit an unexpired driver's license or state ID and social security card (with no restrictions) instead of expired GC and extension letter.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Timeline

Hi Guys,

I'd just say apply for a job. There's nothing stopping you from doing that. Job hunting is a pain, and some companies take months trying to make sure you're a good fit for them. AND that's when they actually even like you enough to put you through their process. It's fairly conceivable that you'll get your ROC approved before anyone asks for it at all (and this is not a dig on your ability to get a job -- it's a dig on the sluggish job market and the convoluted hiring process.)

I wouldn't go around proactively explaining the intricacies of the US immigration system during the interview, because I have an hour to tell a hiring manager what a good hire I'd be, and this unnecessary detail would just eat up my precious interview time. It might even cost me the job because if I didn't do a good job explaining everything, the hiring manager (who I presume doesn't know a lot about the i-751 process) might just be a little freaked about about an expired Green Card. If it does come up in an interview (and it usually doesn't!), a concise, 'I'm a permanent resident' should suffice. Your status is extended for a year with the NOA1, and it's a fully truthful statement.

Those details would be asked more towards the end, when you've all but locked in a job and waiting for the background checks to go through.

That's when HR would be asking for your documents and checking it against USCIS, and that's when you have the chance to explain your situation better. Chances are you wouldn't even need to explain anything because they already know what an NOA1 is, and they're very much aware of the hoops that USCIS makes us go through. Bottom line is, you have status, you're making sure you keep that status, and you're not asking for their help to secure your status.

I actually just sent in my docs to my university for a part-time TA gig a month ago, including my soon-to-be expired GC and NOA1 as proof of residency. Everything processed smoothly, and I got zero questions about my residency.

so good luck! start now! and there are far more things about the job application process that you should worry about than this one!

Someone recently pointed out for all employment purposes a valid DL and a SSN card without showing any employment restrictions are sufficient.

Check Page 9 of Form I-9. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

GC is under List A, but you can show one document form List B and one from List C for employment verification. So in a way you don't have to show anyone your expired GC. Whether the employer would like this or not is another story.

You're legally allowed to work, so this is the perfect answer. No need to go in details about ROC, extension letter, etc. Just show documents from lists B and C.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.