benkat9596

Medical Insurance

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

So i'm confused about what's going to happen regarding medical insurance. So, I arrived on a K1 visa in June, as soon as I arrived myself and my wife (then fiance) went to the medical insurance sales office and we were told, no need to get medical insurance yet if you wish, wait until you're married and have your NOA1, no problem, assumed as much, so when we got married in late August, as soon as we filed AOS and got our notice of action, we called up, went through some lengthy things of them requiring photocopies etc. and so here we sit, medical insurance sorted out BUT not kicking in until 1st of October, meaning i'll have been without medical insurance in the US for slightly over 3 months continuously, which I believe will leave us with a penalty fine? Any idea on the amount/if we will be fined? Feel slightly annoyed as we were told to wait I explained when we would get married and be ready to do this and still, seem to be just over the 3 months mark when the insurance is in effect.

Thanks guys

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do not think so, look up the definition of who has to have insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do not think so, look up the definition of who has to have insurance.

Okay, just want to be sure as the amount is like 600+ dollars for the fine, something we'd rather avoid if possible!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America - topic is about getting insurance ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Okay, just want to be sure as the amount is like 600+ dollars for the fine, something we'd rather avoid if possible!

Never heard that having medical insurance is a must..if you don't have, then you pay the fee when you sick

Never heard that having medical insurance is a must..if you don't have, then you pay the fee when you sick

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees/fee-for-not-being-covered/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

That fine is based for an entire years worth of not having coverage. It is unlikely in the OPs case that the fine will apply for several reasons, and if it were it would be small in nature. The good thing is that the OP has coverage now which will soon kick in.

It is not a requirement to have health insurance in this country, however if you do not, then the fine is applicable, but there are exceptions and wiggle room gaps. What you were told was correct, as it is unlikely you could have been added to your spouses coverage before marriage if you were aiming for a joint policy. I have often thought about if there is any language preventing a K1 without much documentation or marriage yet to obtain a health insurance policy, but I don't believe anyone has tested that so far. Waiting for the NOA1 wasn't necessary of course, as the only thing they should need is a marriage certificate (unless of course you're dealing with state/federal exchanges). But no matter now.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

It is a requirement to have medical insurance or else you pay a fine. That is the definition of a requirement. If you do not do A then B happens. Are they allowing people to make the choice? Kind of.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.