ERFandPRW

drivers license after receiving green card

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
hi all,

hope that everyone is well. I have just got my conditional gc expires 08/08/18. My driving license expires in December 2018 (so after i would apply to have conditions removed). Do i need to go to the dmv now and inform them i have a green card and possibly get a longer license or do i wait until i have applied for ROC and go with the extension letter for Roc to the dmv and apply then for a renewal of my license. And can any of this be done online . As my local dmv (golden colorado are unfriendly and i have been asked to leave on a previous occasion).

I wish you all a great day and hope to hear some answers soon,

Phil

Timeline

hi maria +steve,

sorry but what do you mean by the answer you gave.. Can i now go get a dl with a longer expiration date? Should i go to my local dmv or can i do it online? Thanks

You can only renew your driver license when it is near expiration date.

The DMV will normally send you a reminder letter.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to ROC Forum~

~Inquiry about ROC-related process~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You can only renew your driver license when it is near expiration date.

The DMV will normally send you a reminder letter.

Not true in this situation. When you get new documents you can go. If you're only changing address they won't renew it but just change address.

hi maria +steve,

sorry but what do you mean by the answer you gave.. Can i now go get a dl with a longer expiration date? Should i go to my local dmv or can i do it online? Thanks

You can't renew online as they have to verify your documents. You can either do it now and have it done with or you can wait and go there in 2018.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am assuming your current DL (the one expiring 2018) has the "temporary visitor " sign. Now that you are a PR, I'd go and get one that doesn't show that marking.

Some states give CPRs a 2 year DL, some give 5 year DL. Not sure about CO.

Timeline

I am assuming your current DL (the one expiring 2018) has the "temporary visitor " sign. Now that you are a PR, I'd go and get one that doesn't show that marking.

Some states give CPRs a 2 year DL, some give 5 year DL. Not sure about CO.

Guess it depends on the state. Virginia only has a "limited duration" restriction and even with PR it's still going to be there. Virginia gave me a licence that expires when my GC expires. But with everything else here it depends on the state I guess :P

Timeline

hi charmander ,

my license doesnt show on it temporary visitor but does say not valid for federal identification , votong or public benefit purposes...

I have changed address since it was issued but want to avoid going to dmv if i can as they aren't very friendly there (golden COLORADO) and don't want to waste my time if they can't extend it to a 5 year (or is it a 10 year )one..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

hi charmander ,

my license doesnt show on it temporary visitor but does say not valid for federal identification , votong or public benefit purposes...

I have changed address since it was issued but want to avoid going to dmv if i can as they aren't very friendly there (golden COLORADO) and don't want to waste my time if they can't extend it to a 5 year (or is it a 10 year )one..

hmmm each state is different. When I was on non-immigrant visa, my DL looked like this .

Sucked to carry that big red mark. Both NY and MA gave me 5 year GC during my CPR period. I didn't have to deal with DMV during ROC and after I became citizen.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove picture contaning personal information

Timeline

hmmm each state is different. When I was on non-immigrant visa, my DL looked like this . Sucked to carry that big red mark. Both NY and MA gave me 5 year GC during my CPR period. I didn't have to deal with DMV during ROC and after I became citizen.

That sucks! Mine has a tiny 9 on it under "restrictions" and then on the back it says it's a limited dl.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove picture in quote

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi all,
hope that everyone is well. I have just got my conditional gc expires 08/08/18. My driving license expires in December 2018 (so after i would apply to have conditions removed). Do i need to go to the dmv now and inform them i have a green card and possibly get a longer license or do i wait until i have applied for ROC and go with the extension letter for Roc to the dmv and apply then for a renewal of my license. And can any of this be done online . As my local dmv (golden colorado are unfriendly and i have been asked to leave on a previous occasion).
I wish you all a great day and hope to hear some answers soon,
Phil
I just renewed my DL with my Conditional Green card, two weeks ago. My new DL has been issued for a period of 7 years.
Of course, it depends on a State you leave, but looks like now things are getting really better with DL renewal, and more States recognize a green card as a basis to issue a "normal" DL.
Maybe no need to do it right now, but I would definitely try to re-new your DL before 6 months left on your green card - some States require to have something (I-94, an Extension letter, Green card) with at least 6 months of validity to obtain your Driver License.
Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Guess it depends on the state. Virginia only has a "limited duration" restriction and even with PR it's still going to be there. Virginia gave me a licence that expires when my GC expires. But with everything else here it depends on the state I guess :P

that was not my case in Michigan. i got a 4 year drivers license with a CPR . Maybe the lady that took my information didnt even bother to look at the expiration dates.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.