Mididi

K1 visa suspension

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

On May 6,2016 my fiance had his interview in Morocco. He was asked a weird question. "Where are your engagement photos?" He had given them many photos of us spending time together. He explained we got engaged on Skype. He explained how he had asked his mother for permission to marry me. This was not required, but he did this out of respect. She happily agreed. He Skyped me and asked to marry me. I of course said, "yes". We were then engaged. Well, the interviewer said, "you are not engaged because we don't have photos of the engagement'.. He couldn't get an understanding why the interviewer felt this way. My fiance was then handed a paper which stated our case was suspended for further administrative review. He was not asked to provide anything else. He was informed he would receive a call in 3 weeks. Well, he never received a call. After the 4th week, he decided to go to the consulate and ask about our case. He was told they didn't have a case for us. I called the consulate and was told they couldn't speak with me. I was informed I would need to email the consulate. I did email them an got only automated response. I had My fiance ask his mother if there was a special ceremony we should have done for the engagement. She said, "no he asked you and you said yes." We did have photos of us sitting with him mom and other family members eating and discussing the engagement. I sent the consulate a copy of these photos with the explanation. Still no response from the consulate. We just don't know what to think or if there is anyone we can speak with. My fiance has started asking me questions like," why do I think the American consulate doesn't want us to be happy? " I'm not sure but maybe it is because of the presidential elections coming up, or maybe all the negative talk about Muslims in the media. Can any one help us understand this? I first applied for him on September 30, 2015 now only a few week away from 1 year ago. This is just not right.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to MENA Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

On May 6,2016 my fiance had his interview in Morocco. He was asked a weird question. "Where are your engagement photos?" He had given them many photos of us spending time together. He explained we got engaged on Skype. He explained how he had asked his mother for permission to marry me. This was not required, but he did this out of respect. She happily agreed. He Skyped me and asked to marry me. I of course said, "yes". We were then engaged. Well, the interviewer said, "you are not engaged because we don't have photos of the engagement'.. He couldn't get an understanding why the interviewer felt this way. My fiance was then handed a paper which stated our case was suspended for further administrative review. He was not asked to provide anything else. He was informed he would receive a call in 3 weeks. Well, he never received a call. After the 4th week, he decided to go to the consulate and ask about our case. He was told they didn't have a case for us. I called the consulate and was told they couldn't speak with me. I was informed I would need to email the consulate. I did email them an got only automated response. I had My fiance ask his mother if there was a special ceremony we should have done for the engagement. She said, "no he asked you and you said yes." We did have photos of us sitting with him mom and other family members eating and discussing the engagement. I sent the consulate a copy of these photos with the explanation. Still no response from the consulate. We just don't know what to think or if there is anyone we can speak with. My fiance has started asking me questions like," why do I think the American consulate doesn't want us to be happy? " I'm not sure but maybe it is because of the presidential elections coming up, or maybe all the negative talk about Muslims in the media. Can any one help us understand this? I first applied for him on September 30, 2015 now only a few week away from 1 year ago. This is just not right.

Are you sure that he was actually asked this question verbatim? Reason I ask is that this seems beyond the scope of what they could legally ask or if he was asked this question, was there a leading question that preceded this question that resulted in him being asked this? For instance did he mention some type of family gathering where he proposed to you while in his home country yet no photos were provided? If such a discussion occurred then I could see the CO asking this. Also the response your fiance gave to the CO regarding request for photos, what was it? Its situations like this were I feel something is missing in translation and maybe what he thought he heard is not exactly what happened. Make sense? I realize that he asked to marry you on Skype but the relationship between Skype to the question of do you have photos of the engagement is not logical thus I can deduce that your fiance is leaving something out.

Edited by Metaler

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Contact the consulate again per email and ask what the status of your petition is. If they don't answer have your senator inquire about your case status, if A. It is in AP or B. If it has been returned to USCIS and the reason for the return in writing.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Sounds almost identical to my case! The only difference is my fiance had a surprise for me when I got off the plane and we were in the airport. He had his friend take pictures of the whole engagement down on one knee and people cheering and smiling in the back....but the CO (young black woman - I bet your fiance got her too) refused to acknowledge those pics as being engaged and 3 sworn letters by his family, friends and my family to our relationship and engagement.

All of them knew but me.

It's been almost a month (aug. 12) since our interview. I have been emailing everyday since then the embassy, congressman, senator, 2 immigration lawyers. I even got the DOS investigation fraud unit involved.

Only last week did I hear a response from them. Stating we were in AP (received a 221g and return to USCIS letter during interview. This was the reason for immigration lawyers and DOS. According to them these letters are not handed out both at the same time. It can only be one or the other) and they would let us know when our second review would be done and if fiance needs a second interview.

Nothing was marked on our 221g and she never said during interview we were denied. Just that she needed more information (but wouldn't tell us).

This embassy is crazy mad...there is no system and it's a free for all with power. The way they treat some people is shocking.

Hang in there! I pray hard every single day that we hear some good news. I front loaded our petition so well. We were even complimented on how well our file was.

It's just disappointing to put so much work into something and we have a genuine relationship for sure. Gave them more then enough proof to show that. No criminal history for either of us. And the CO doubts us based on assumptions...

Just breath....and start contacting the embassy and your local congressman/senator. That's the best advice for you at this time.

Keep us posted!

Timeline:

• Met on Facebook - September 18, 2016
  • Started Dating - December 30, 2016
  • Met in Person - September 25, 2017 (Surprised him for his birthday)
  • Got Engaged! - September 28, 2017 ♥
  • Filed for I-129F - December 22, 2017
  • Rec'd NOA1(Text/Email) - January 2, 2018 :D
  • Rec'd Hard Copy NOA1 (Letter) - Jan. 3, 2018 (letter dated Dec. 29, 2017)
  • Rec'd RFE notice (email 7/24/18) - Pending hard copy letter :whistle:
  • Rec'd RFE letter in mail (July 27, 2018). Needs details about previous petition <_<
  • Mailed RFE - Sept. 06, 2018 (will be rec'd Saturday and picked up by Monday)
  • USCIS confirmed RFE rec'd (email, text & USCIS App) - Sept, 11, 2018
  • NOA2 Approval Letter - rec'd Nov. 17, 2018 (dated Nov. 09, 2018) - approximately  10 1/2 months of waiting! 😞
  • NVC Rec'd Petition - Nov. 23, 2018
  • NVC Case # - PENDING 👈
  • Case # Rec'd - December 06, 2018
  • In Transit to Embassy - Dec. 26, 2018
  • CEAC says 'READY' - Dec. 28, 2018 😀 (Super Fast)
  • PENDING Interview Date 🤯
  • Rec'd Interview Packet (Email) January 29, 2019
  • Interview Schedule FEBRUARY 26!!
  • Interview Results - Stuck in AP - Was given the DS-5535 Questionnaire. Kept his passport - pending results
  • After 8 CEAC updates (If I counted correctly) still waiting in AP. Last update was today-June 24, 2019.
  • CEAC updated #9 - August 8, 2019 - but this might be from an inquiry I made the day before - maybe not a true 'update'
  • CEAC Update #10 - Sept. 25, 2019 (my fiance's B-Day) - made another online inquiry to embassy & called NVC for status update
  • CEAC Update #11 - Sept. 27, 2019 - most likely based from my online inquiry
  • CEAC Update #12 - Sept. 30, 2019 - Case went from AP to Application Received. Switched from Immigrant Visa App to Non-Immigrant 😁😁😁
  • Rec'd Call from Embassy!! October 2, 2019 - Time to re-do medical exam!
  • Completed New Medical Exam - October 4, 2019 - Dropped off at Aramex 😀
  • Aramex Confirmation of Delivery to Embassy for Medical - Oct. 7th, 2019
  • CEAC Update #13 - Non-Immigrant Administrative Processing - Oct. 09, 2019
  • VISA ISSUED! October 11, 2019 (last CEAC update!) 😱 FINALLLYYYYY!!!!
  • Arrived to the US! Oct. 24, 2019
  • Married Dec. 07, 2019 😍
  • Filed AOS/EAD/AP - Jan. 21, 2020
  • Rec'd I-797C Notice - Interview on 10/13/2020
  • Mailed ROC Packet via FedEx - 09.06.2022
  • ROC Packet Delivered - 09.08.2022

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like it has been returned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It hasn't been. It's currently with the embassy for a second review and possible second interview according to department of state

Timeline:

• Met on Facebook - September 18, 2016
  • Started Dating - December 30, 2016
  • Met in Person - September 25, 2017 (Surprised him for his birthday)
  • Got Engaged! - September 28, 2017 ♥
  • Filed for I-129F - December 22, 2017
  • Rec'd NOA1(Text/Email) - January 2, 2018 :D
  • Rec'd Hard Copy NOA1 (Letter) - Jan. 3, 2018 (letter dated Dec. 29, 2017)
  • Rec'd RFE notice (email 7/24/18) - Pending hard copy letter :whistle:
  • Rec'd RFE letter in mail (July 27, 2018). Needs details about previous petition <_<
  • Mailed RFE - Sept. 06, 2018 (will be rec'd Saturday and picked up by Monday)
  • USCIS confirmed RFE rec'd (email, text & USCIS App) - Sept, 11, 2018
  • NOA2 Approval Letter - rec'd Nov. 17, 2018 (dated Nov. 09, 2018) - approximately  10 1/2 months of waiting! 😞
  • NVC Rec'd Petition - Nov. 23, 2018
  • NVC Case # - PENDING 👈
  • Case # Rec'd - December 06, 2018
  • In Transit to Embassy - Dec. 26, 2018
  • CEAC says 'READY' - Dec. 28, 2018 😀 (Super Fast)
  • PENDING Interview Date 🤯
  • Rec'd Interview Packet (Email) January 29, 2019
  • Interview Schedule FEBRUARY 26!!
  • Interview Results - Stuck in AP - Was given the DS-5535 Questionnaire. Kept his passport - pending results
  • After 8 CEAC updates (If I counted correctly) still waiting in AP. Last update was today-June 24, 2019.
  • CEAC updated #9 - August 8, 2019 - but this might be from an inquiry I made the day before - maybe not a true 'update'
  • CEAC Update #10 - Sept. 25, 2019 (my fiance's B-Day) - made another online inquiry to embassy & called NVC for status update
  • CEAC Update #11 - Sept. 27, 2019 - most likely based from my online inquiry
  • CEAC Update #12 - Sept. 30, 2019 - Case went from AP to Application Received. Switched from Immigrant Visa App to Non-Immigrant 😁😁😁
  • Rec'd Call from Embassy!! October 2, 2019 - Time to re-do medical exam!
  • Completed New Medical Exam - October 4, 2019 - Dropped off at Aramex 😀
  • Aramex Confirmation of Delivery to Embassy for Medical - Oct. 7th, 2019
  • CEAC Update #13 - Non-Immigrant Administrative Processing - Oct. 09, 2019
  • VISA ISSUED! October 11, 2019 (last CEAC update!) 😱 FINALLLYYYYY!!!!
  • Arrived to the US! Oct. 24, 2019
  • Married Dec. 07, 2019 😍
  • Filed AOS/EAD/AP - Jan. 21, 2020
  • Rec'd I-797C Notice - Interview on 10/13/2020
  • Mailed ROC Packet via FedEx - 09.06.2022
  • ROC Packet Delivered - 09.08.2022

event.png

Like boiler said its prob been return refile or go there and marry.

This is a tough embassy and K1 do expire you said it's almost a year.

If you refile k1 you'll need an Imbra waiver for multiple petitions approved within 2 yrs.

Best of luck. ?

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Timeline

Like boiler said its prob been return refile or go there and marry.

This is a tough embassy and K1 do expire you said it's almost a year.

If you refile k1 you'll need an Imbra waiver for multiple petitions approved within 2 yrs.

Best of luck. ?

I disagree. It was only 4 months ago since the interview, not a year. OP stated she filed a year ago.

Morocco has about 5-6 months long AP and nothing in the OP's post says it has been returned and that is why OP

should inquire with a senator where exactly her case is. It may very well be in internal AP at the embassy or in security checks

with an outside agency. If so then the validity will be automatically extended.

Re filing without knowing exactly where the petition is would add more confusion and time at this point.

Jumping the gun won't help. The only option is to contact a senator for case location. If a return to USCIS is confirmed,

then she can re file.

The CO stating that because she has no engagement photos therefore she is not engaged is an idiotic claim.

OP you supplied photos of a dinner discussing the engagement though a screenshot or chat would have helped.

I am sure there were letters of intent to marry from you both which in itself is sufficient for a reasonable mind.

Life does not always fit into the cookie cutter box that a CO wants to see and personal bias can definitely play

into it with all the power of "discretion" they have. Hope your case will continue to process.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Often you have to read between the lines, especially when there are translations issues.

I read this as they were not engaged according to local cultural norms.

When I see posts like this I look for background info in older posts, but there is none in this case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It seems the Moroccan embassy is getting stricter on having a formal engagement of some sort, like some Asian US embassies.

Op, any red flags in your case? Such as, how often have you met in person, and for how long? Is there an age gap, religious or educational differences?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I just read your post and I'm confused why your fiancé had to ask his own mother if he can get marry to you instead of him asking your parents for permission for your hand in marriage? Do you have photos or affadivats of your side of the family knowing of and being involved in the engagement too?

If it's all one sided then of course they will suspect that it's not a mutual thing between you and your fiancé. And it may cast shadow of doubt and suspicion why his family is so involved with his decision to married to you in the first place. Sorry to sound harsh but they are very keen to fraud for immigration-something you and your fiancé will need to prove (unfortunately) to the government that you two have a solid relationship. The best solution is time, having photos of your engagement ring etc, or documenting your relationship more so since you know now what they expect. Perhaps getting married in Motocco and then file for the spousal visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry but this is Morocco not like other embassies

they have in the past denied for unreasonable reasons

ours because he did not know what books i read / he knew i was tying my mom's book and didn't have time to read others

anyway, K1 is returned and now you need to head for Morocco and marry

takes almost 4 weeks to do the paperwork once you get there so anyone wanting to know the steps as you need to go to Casa and Rabat and then his home city, write me a personal message and i will send the 2 page instructions to you

forget this K1 / other countries can not help you with what happens to moroccan K1's

Timeline

Sorry but this is Morocco not like other embassies

they have in the past denied for unreasonable reasons

ours because he did not know what books i read / he knew i was tying my mom's book and didn't have time to read others

anyway, K1 is returned and now you need to head for Morocco and marry

takes almost 4 weeks to do the paperwork once you get there so anyone wanting to know the steps as you need to go to Casa and Rabat and then his home city, write me a personal message and i will send the 2 page instructions to you

forget this K1 / other countries can not help you with what happens to moroccan K1's

Unless it has been confirmed that the case has been returned it is incorrect to advise to marry and re file.

Case could very well be in AP instead.

Spoiler

Timeline

I agree you need to know what actually the situation is, speculation currently based on limited info.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.