tommy92

When do I need to re establish domicile (merged)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys,

I have never lived in the US before so I am going to need to attempt to re establish domicile. I am planing to open a US bank account, enroll in a class/school, apply for jobs and show proof that I have been applying, get a quote from a moving company, get a letter from a friend saying I will be staying with them till I find a place to live, contact a real estate agent and get the ball rolling with looking for places to live. My questions are-

Do you think this is enough?

Could you recommend anything else?

And at what stage will I need to show this, is it at the interview?

Thanks so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, you will need to show it at interview (well, your fiance will).

In Australia, it might well be enough. If you can, I would take a trip to the USA sometime before the interview, so you can register to vote, maybe get a drivers license, and show some proof of physical meetings with employers, looking at homes to live in, tour the school you will go to etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Is the establish domicile in relation to another question or form you have to fill out or will they just ask you straight if you have domicile in the usa?

It's in relation to the I-864 - this form will ask you where you reside.

The instructions for this form explain the domicile requirements: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Thanks for the reply! But from my knowledge I only fill out the I-134 for k1 interview and the i-184 comes when we apply for the AOS? So will I need to show domicile for the i-134???

Thanks for the reply! But from my knowledge I only fill out the I-134 for k1 interview and the i-184 comes when we apply for the AOS? So will I need to show domicile for the i-134???

The I-134 has fuzzier requirements, because it's only a short-term agreement. Some consulates will apply the rules of the I-864 to the I-134, whereas others will be more lenient.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Hi Guys,

Iv'e asked a similar question before so apologies for that but I didn't really get a solid answer.

What I want to know is if I have to attempt to re establish domicile for a k1 visa? (I have never lived in the usa, currently living in Australia with my fiance) Will they ask this at the interview, or will I need it for form i-134 (we are using a joint sponsor) or is re establishing domicile only for the AOS stage?

I haven't seen anything in packet 3 or 4 for the k1 that asks about domicile and i'm quite sure you don't need it for form i-134, unless they ask my fiance at the interview?

I am so confused I have read many things on here and I just want a solid answer. Thank you all so much!!

Edited by tommy92

They're not going to ask to see much, if anything, about domicile coming from Australia is my guess. At the interview, have any documentations available that does show that you're heading back just in case it's asked.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Where are you planning to live when you guys get there?

The POE will ask you for an address and need one on the i94. I would establish one before the interview if the question is posed to you.

Edited by bigjailerman

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

NVC Rcvd Case June 13, 2016

NVC Case and Rcpt # June 16, 2016

Case to Embassy June 16, 2016

Case Ready at Embassy June 20, 2016

Lab July 8 for minor and July 11, 2016 for Fiance

Medical July 11, 2016

Biometrics ACS July 12, 2016

Interview Approved July 14, 2016

Visa Issued via DHL July 16

Visa Arrived July 1

POE September 23, 2016 JFK

Marriage !!!!!!!!!!!! September 30, 2016

Next Step AOS..........

• November 12, 2016 - Express mail to Chicago Lockbox
  • December 5, 2016 - Electronic Notifiaction for AOS, rcvd 11/15
  • December 11, 2016 - NOA1 for EAD, 765 and 485, also accepted fingerprint fee.
  • December 28, 2016 - Biometrics
  • February 14 - EAD  & Advanced Parole Approved and being mailed. 
  • May 4 2017. Approved without interview, Card being Produced
  • May 7, 2017 recvd approval for i485
  • May 10 2017 rcvd Green Cards in mail.!!
  • Next step in 20 months to remove conditions.

Removal of Conditions Begins by end of first week of February

• February 5, 2019   - Printing package;
  • February 11, 2019 - ROC package mailed;
  • February 13, 2019 - Package delivered to Dallas Tx;
  • February 15, 2019 - Credit Card Charged;
  • February 19, 2019 - Electronic Notification Rec'd, Case Location LIN - Nebraska;
  • February 21, 2019 - Received NOA with 18 month extension for wife ONLY, not 14yo dependent who is on application;
  • March 12, 2019      - Notified USCIS that we never rcvd i797 for 14 yo minor, they provided a case # and submitted a Svc Request
  • May 2.2019             -  No forward motion, we called again and despite there was an officer assigned to this service request nothing happened/ no extension. We filed an InfoPass and have an appointment for Monday 6th for passport stamp.
  • May 6, 2019 - Attended InfoPass appointment in Philadelphia local USCIS local office for 930. This was for a never rcvd 797 for our 14yo dependent. Arrived 9:15, not crowded at all. No extra photos or fingerprint taken. We were in the car (lots of parking available) at 945. Pleasant female officer, she updated and checked for no changes. Stamped passport, explained is valid for 1 year. The took the green card which expired 5/4/19. No issues or problems.. I asked about the non receipt and she said it's pretty common.. 
  • August 23 - Biometrics NOA, scheduled for 9/3 @1pm
  • September 3 - Biometrics
  • September 4 -Fingerprint Review was completed
  • January 8 - ROC, Card Being Processed, Citizenship is next!
  • January 15 2020  - Cards Delivered

N400 Citizenship :)

• November 28, 2020     - N400 Filed online and paid via CC
  • November 28, 2020     - NOA received electronically

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
On 9/11/2016 at 6:56 AM, bigjailerman said:

Where are you planning to live when you guys get there?

The POE will ask you for an address and need one on the i94. I would establish one before the interview if the question is posed to you.

Can I ask what is the address for? Is it a mailing address?

Can people give POE a hotel address where they plan to stay before finding a house? Or does it have to be a friend or relative's house before them finding a house?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
On 9/8/2016 at 11:53 AM, tommy92 said:

Hi Guys,

Iv'e asked a similar question before so apologies for that but I didn't really get a solid answer.

What I want to know is if I have to attempt to re establish domicile for a k1 visa? (I have never lived in the usa, currently living in Australia with my fiance) Will they ask this at the interview, or will I need it for form i-134 (we are using a joint sponsor) or is re establishing domicile only for the AOS stage?

I haven't seen anything in packet 3 or 4 for the k1 that asks about domicile and i'm quite sure you don't need it for form i-134, unless they ask my fiance at the interview?

I am so confused I have read many things on here and I just want a solid answer. Thank you all so much!!

I am in a similar situation, so may I ask how it went? Did you have to fly to the US and rent a house or do anything to re-establish a domicile before the K-1 interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.