Jim&Aura

Different types of Mexican Birth Certificates? (for obtaining Passports) [merged threads]

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So, my Mexican fiance & I are about half way between our NOA1 & NOA2, so I am in the process of preparing for the next steps. We were just about to start the process of applying for her and her kid's passports, but an troubling situation has come up with her birth certificate that seems like it may cause a problem.

Here's the issue... she has an official, certified birth certificate that she obtained within the last year from a Civil Registry (CR) office in or near the very small town where she was born. She had to obtain this after we decided to file the I129-f because she had lost her original one that was issued from there when she was born.

However, here is the key qualifier (as I understand it anyway... there is a language barrier that sometimes causes some confusion on technical issues like this)... when she went to the CR, they could not locate the record of her birth in their records. Apparently, there was a fire or something a few years back that had caused some records to be lost but also, this is a very small town... more like a village in the middle of nowhere... so it's also possible that they just lost it, but regardless of how... they didn't have it.

However, despite this, they were actually able to issue her a signed and official birth certificate anyway. She had used her original BC to obtain her CURP and subsequent ID (back before she lost her original BC), both of which she presented to them as proof of identity. In addition, there was something about some local residents vouching for her that remembered her and her family from when they lived there some years ago (or something like this).

So, we assumed everything would be fine since she has an official BC along with a matching CURP & ID card... meeting the requirements to get her a passport. Unfortunately though, I guess that someone at that Civil Registry has subsequently notified her that she can only use this "type" of BC to obtain a passport after 5 years has passed! This seems crazy to me... if they issued her an official BC, then they verified her identity already, so why would there be a 5 year waiting period before you could use that to apply for a passport? This doesn't make sense to me because what would waiting 5 years accomplish or prove?

So, I am really hoping this is a mistake. Maybe this person didn't know what they were talking about? I am tempted to have her make a passport appointment and try anyway, but I thought that i would check here and see if anyone had any knowledge about this kind of issue first.

Any feedback or personal experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I have no idea about the specific question you are asking, but it makes ZERO sense not to apply for a passport. She should apply. THEN if there are problems, go from there, but you should apply first.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It could be a original OR certified birth certificate as you can see below:

Requirements for Getting Your Mexican Passport

There are five requirements you need to satisfy to get your Mexican passport, these are:

1. Proof of Mexican Nationality (birth certificate)

2. Proof of Identity

3. Passport-style photos

4. Form OP5, Application for Mexican Passport

5. Pay the appropriate fee

Below is a description of these requirements, including what types of documents are accepted by Mexican consulates as proof that you meet the requirements. Requirements are different for those applying for the first time and those who are renewing. If you are applying for a Mexican passport for the first time, all of the requirements are identified in this table. If you are renewing or are under age 18, look at page 3 for other requirements you must meet in addition to the ones listed in this table.

Requirement #1: Proof of Mexican Nationality

You must present the original and a photo copy of one of the following:

• Birth certificateyou will need to take your original or a certified copy of your birth

certificate and two letter-size copies (of your birth certificate) to your appointment. The birth

certificate must indicate that you were registered within three years of your birth.

• Mexican passportexpired or current, and two copies of pages 1-4 and 32 of your passport. If you do not have an old passport or an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, a new passport will not be issued to you. If you only have a photocopy of your birth certificate, you may take that to your appointment, but there is no guarantee that the passport will be issued to you. That decision is left to the discretion of the official reviewing your documents.

Timeline

Thanks Jose... I think the issue might be as follows with that last sentence (in red text below). Because when I look at the electronic copy i have of her BC, the "Fecha de Registro" shows as the date within the last year that she obtained this BC on... so most certainly WELL outside of 3 years of her birth. Her "Fecha de Nacimiento" shows correctly as the date she was born, but this registration date is now what I am worried about.

Certainly, there must be some kind of an exception, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it indeed the 5 year waiting period but that still seems ridiculous to me! So what, anyone that lost or doesn't have their original BC and the appropriate Civil Registry can't find the record... that person can never get a passport? or has to wait 5 years? This cannot be an isolated case as I have heard of many problems with original birth records being lost.

Birth certificateyou will need to take your original or a certified copy of your birth

certificate and two letter-size copies (of your birth certificate) to your appointment. The birth

certificate must indicate that you were registered within three years of your birth.

Well your process can't continue at all without a passport, so you definitely need to make that appointment no matter what!

My husband's birth certificate was not registered within three years of his birth, and he was still able to get a passport. They did make him provide additional information though (they gave him a long list of items he needed) beyond what they "normally" ask for when giving out passports. Still, no issues! So I say go for it and just be prepared that she may need to bring more information with her.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

To elaborate, he needed to provide the acta de nacimiento for his mother and some of his siblings, school records from when he was a child... some things like that. When we first showed up to get the passport, they did raise their eyebrows a little, but gave him the checklist of items and once we had all those in hand, we had absolutely no issues getting his passport. After turning in everything, the passport was created in Guadalajara and sent to out local office to be picked up in about a week.

NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is something else she can try, even if the original records in this small town are lost, the capital city of her state may have a copy of the original record. I found out when I tried to get my BC and my mother's BC too. Find the number of the "Registro Civil" (capital city, of course). The closest consulate of Mexico can give you more information, they're now issuing BC's, so they can tell you where she can go in Mexico to get an original copy, because it seems that she got an "Acta de nacimiento extemporanea" (delayed birth certificate).

Timeline

Thank you both for your suggestions... I really appreciate it! I figured that there had to be alternatives for cases like this and you both pointed out 2 good ones. I think we will first try to get that checklist of additional requirements and hopefully she can meet enough of those to suffice.

On a somewhat related note, I just got my NOA2 today... a full 3-4 weeks earlier than expected! So, while this is great news, now we REALLY have to move on the passport issue...

Thank you both for your suggestions... I really appreciate it! I figured that there had to be alternatives for cases like this and you both pointed out 2 good ones. I think we will first try to get that checklist of additional requirements and hopefully she can meet enough of those to suffice.

On a somewhat related note, I just got my NOA2 today... a full 3-4 weeks earlier than expected! So, while this is great news, now we REALLY have to move on the passport issue...

Congrats on your NOA2!! :dancing: Hopefully the rest of your process is smooth sailing!

Timeline

Ok, so long story kinda short, my Mexican fiance only has an "after-the-fact" Birth Certificate (Acta de nacimiento extemporanea) that she obtained last year. Her original BC was destroyed in a fire when she was a girl living with her parents, so she got this after we decided to file the I-129f package. At the time, I did not think there was any effective difference between this and a regular "original" BC, but come to find out, if the BC is issued with a registered date more than 3 years after birth, there are additional requirements in order to obtain a passport. My fiance called SRE and spoke with an agent about the list of additional documents needed to get a passport with this type of BC and while we will try to obtain some of them, it may prove to be problematic since most of the documents required (like birth certificates of family members, her school records, etc) were lost in the same fire that destroyed her original BC. Another forum member suggested that we might be able to obtain a copy of her original BC by travelling to the nearest larger city Civil Registry, so we will try that as well, but since she is from a very small village, I'm not sure that will work either.

Bottom line though, we are hoping that at least something will come through that will enable her to get her passport.

However, my question then would be about the Visa interview itself. Is this "Acta de nacimiento extemporanea" likely to cause problems when we get to the interview stage? I seem to remember reading somewhere that this type of BC could cause issues, but at the time, I didn't realize this is what she had, so I didn't bookmark the page and now I can't find it. So, I am wondering if anyone has either been through the interview process with a "Acta de nacimiento extemporanea" and if so, do they just require the same additional documents that the SRE requires for passports? Or, is there something else that they might ask for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Timeline

Her original birth certificate was on time or "extemporanea"? If it was on time going to the Registro Civil it's helpful because they can issue a copy... if since the beginning she had an extemporaneous birth certificate can she ask for a passport for only one year??? O read that is posible to get a one year one in those cases, she would have to call sre and speak with maybe the supervisor in the call center to get a better answer. Good luck and I hope she can figure it out soon

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello!

As mexican citizen I can tell you for sure that in México is possible get certified copies of a birth certificate in the Registro Civil where she was registered not matter how small is the town and her school records too in the Secretaria de Educacion Pública (SEP) in the state were she went to school, and thats because is a federal document issued by the state (believe it or not) where she was born and studied. Can I ask in what state she was born? so I can give you more advice about it.

Best regards!

M.

event.png

May/29/2024 -- N-400 was filled online.

May/29/2024 -- NOA 1.

May/29/2024 -- Biometrics Reuse letter. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Similar-themed threads have been merged.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.