Victor2016

Time Duration between entry into the States on F1, getting married and applying for AOS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I entered the United States on F1 visa in May 2016 (3month ago), met my wife here in the states and we got married 2weeks ago. My question is

1. Can I start filling for my Adjustment of Status immediately I receive my marriage certificate?

2. Do i need to include the followi g documents - joint account, joint leasing, Utility bills and so on with my AOS application and do I need to wait for it to run for some months?

3. Would it be an issue that I got married within 3month of entering the united states with an F1 visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS from Family Visa to AOS from Student Visa *****

1. Yes

2. Include what you have now, and bring more to the interview.

3. Not really, unless it was fraudulent.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Either you knew this girl ahead of coming and should have applied K1 (at the least you should have answered you had a US gf when entering )

or you met and married fast

both will definitely throw up a red flag

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered the United States on F1 visa in May 2016 (3month ago), met my wife here in the states and we got married 2weeks ago. My question is

1. Can I start filling for my Adjustment of Status immediately I receive my marriage certificate?

2. Do i need to include the followi g documents - joint account, joint leasing, Utility bills and so on with my AOS application and do I need to wait for it to run for some months?

3. Would it be an issue that I got married within 3month of entering the united states with an F1 visa?

Why the rush to file AOS? You already have a valid status through the F1. Why not wait to file so you have more evidence to submit? If this is your first F1, school hasn't even started for you.

It takes time to establish a bona fide relationship so your dates of F1 entry, marriage, then filing AOS will certainly seem suspicious, as others have mentioned.

Being from Nigeria doesn't help, either. Yes, it seems unfair and not your fault, but Nigeria is mentioned as a high visa fraud country.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thank you all for your response so far. My first semester is summer semester so I have already taken 2 semesters already.

My challenge now is I really cannot afford continuing in school cos of the tuition fee and wouldn't also want to be be out of status before applying for AOS.

Maybe I will just wait for another 3month and risk being out of staus? More suggestions are welcome please.

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

So you moved here in May 2016. That means you've possibly taken the Summer 2016 and are about to start Fall 2016. In those three months, you met someone and decided to marry her.

As mentioned before, there's a big red flag here in the sense that you met someone and married within three months of entering the U.S. It moved a bit too fast for a lot of people's liking.

So what you have to do is essentially prove that a) you came here with the intention of studying, and b) have developed a close relationship.

You really need to stay in school because if you just drop out, the immigration official may see this as you using the F1 visa to enter the country, and trying to get marr super fast. So I would recommend staying in school, and getting good grades. That way you can have positive transcripts to bring with you to the interview.

Secondly, you need to start accumulating lots of evidence. Joint bank accounts, car insurance, photos, letters from family/friends. Photos with each other's family. EVERYTHING. It'll help.

It might also throw a red flag that after just one semester of school you are out of money. Part of being granted an F-1 visa is that you can prove that you have enough money to support yourself and pay tuition for one year. Granted sometimes circumstances change, but after only three months? If I was the CO I would wonder if you lied on the F-1 visa application concerning your available funds.

Adjusting status from F-1 (student) following marriage to USC

Entered US for first time: December 2010

Met husband in class: August 2013

Started dating: February 2014

Engaged: 21 May 2015

Married (courthouse): 25 March 2016

Sent AOS packet to Chicago lockbox: 19 April 2016

NOA1 received: 24 April 2016

Biometrics appointment: 24 May 2016

Case ready to be scheduled for an interview: 2 June 2016

Infopass to request AP expedite: 30 June 2016 expedite approved

EAD/AP card in production: 1 July 2016

EAD/AP card received: 11 July 2016

Interview notice received: 17 September 2016

Interview date: 21 October 2016

APPROVED!

Green card received: 28 October 2016

Process took 192 days, no RFEs, from sending the packet to having green card in hand.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

You need to stay in school, at least this fall semester ends. It definitely seems like you have no intention of studying in the first place. Afterall during your visa interview you proved that you can take care of the financial burden with the bank statement and other financial evidence you provided. How come you are already out of money? You are gonna put yourself in trouble if you start filling for AOS at this time.

Not trying to be judgemental, but behaviour like this jeopardize other well meaning students' chances of getting visas from your country because most of the students come here with the same situation as you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.