daughterforparent

change of sponsor after interview

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone.

I would like to hear your advice on a sticky matter. My sister, a US citizen, petitioned for our parents a year ago. Everything went fine and my parents had their interview a few days ago. The interviewer said "there is one musing thing, otherwise everything looks good". The missing paper, which was a copy of my sister's husband's green card, was sent to the embassy on Friday and was delivered today. The status of the case is administrative processing now.

My sister did not have sufficient income to sponsor on her own, so her husband signed I864a. However, he is now saying he doesn't want to commit to sponsorship himself. What can be done at this point? What might the consequences be?

A month shop I received a gen card, and I have the income to co-sponsor.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If the visas have not been issued, he can pull his affadavit.

It can be replaced by you, but it may make them suspicious as to why, and will definitely delay the process.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi what you're saying is they were approved but the consulate was just waiting for the copy of the green card and now you're in AP to which is the normal process and now he wants to cancel the agreement if you tell the embassy that it will put you in a for a long AP

Thank you for the replies.

Teddy k, if that means they were approved during the interview and the consulate has already received the requested copy (ceac has an updated date for the latest change in the case which I think implies Thai have received the copy), does that mean they are in the visa printing process now? If nothing is done, how long would this AP typically last?

Hi,you never know for sure a few days at least to you never know with the embassy just keep an eye on the ceac site to when it says issued

Hi,you never know for sure a few days at least to you never know with the embassy just keep an eye on the ceac site to when it says issued

Thank you. And does the issuing happen in the US or at the embassy. I am thinking, would the status change to issued when it's working hours in the US or at the consulate.

Is there any mechanism to add a co-sponsor later? Say, after visas are issued, or after the beneficiaries enter the US?

My searches seem to indicate there is no such mechanism, but I may have missed something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There is no way to add a co-sponsor once the visa is issued, other than to hand the visa back and start again.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you for the replies.

Teddy k, if that means they were approved during the interview and the consulate has already received the requested copy (ceac has an updated date for the latest change in the case which I think implies Thai have received the copy), does that mean they are in the visa printing process now? If nothing is done, how long would this AP typically last?

No one can tell you how long AP will last.The only thing that can be said for sure about AP is that it takes as long as it takes them to complete the background checks and/or research. AP can last for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, a year or even years in some extreme cases. If anyone tells you specifically how long it will take, don't listen as it varies dramatically from case to case. My husband was in AP for 10 weeks, but others from his country didn't have any at all and some had it far longer than he did.

No one can tell you how long AP will last.The only thing that can be said for sure about AP is that it takes as long as it takes them to complete the background checks and/or research. AP can last for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, a year or even years in some extreme cases. If anyone tells you specifically how long it will take, don't listen as it varies dramatically from case to case. My husband was in AP for 10 weeks, but others from his country didn't have any at all and some had it far longer than he did.

Thanks for the input mimolicious. Just a quick clarification. Do all cases potentially go through lengthy AP, or only the ones where the interview did not finish conclusively?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.