R16M05-77

Cancelling a K-1 Visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So I have a question, my fiance's visa is at the Tokyo embassy and there is about a 98% chance we will have to cancel it. I found out that I am more than likely going to be accepting a position in Japan that will start in October. Will this look negatively for us? We are still going to get married however it will most likely be in Japan. After we are married will we have to do the CR-1 Visa? Can she get a green card if we are living in Japan but eventually going to move back to the US?

Edited by aerobat95

No, it will not have a negative impact on your case. Go to her. Marry. Enjoy your time together. A green card is for residing in the US. When it is close to the time to return to the US, hit us up on VJ.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

yeah and that is why we will need to more than likely cancel it.....because by the time she actually has the visa in hand I will be over there working

Is your job government related? If so she can get a green card there in Japan. Certain jobs if government related allow it. If not then you must start over when ready to leave or both of yous can enter the U.S. to activate the green card but that is ultimately futile if you don't plan on residing in the U.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its a government contracting position at Kadena. How would I find out if she could get a green card when I am there?

It's may be on the USCIS website. I know military for sure can and certain other government jobs. I'm on my phone so I can't do a decent search. It's something that I'd call and at least try to pursue with them.

Kadena is awesome.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I will give them a call next week. The crapy part is we have gone thru 90% of the K1 process....it would be nice if we could just finish it....all we have left is the interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I will give them a call next week. The crapy part is we have gone thru 90% of the K1 process....it would be nice if we could just finish it....all we have left is the interview

I think your Intervew should be here before October

Contact embassy and ask for Intervew date or update ?

Want to Speed up NVC Process ?

Check Guides From Guide section for doccuments and list of stuff and follow this steps

Step 1 After USCIS NOA2 Gather all AOS / IV Package Documents In 3 weeks

Between USCIS Approving and NVC Case Number you have 2 to 3 weeks gather all AOS and IV Documents Get package ready.

Step 2 Obtain NVC Invoice and Case number.

​After 2 weeks of NOA2 Keep on Calling NVC every day to get case number And Invoice number

Step 3 Pay First Fee and DS261

After getting NVC Case Number and Invoice Number Log in to webpage Pay First Fee and Fill out DS261 Takes 24 to 38 Hr to get fee status paid.

Step 4 Conform Agent / Ds261 Over Phone and Sent out Documents

Once First fee turns Paid Online ( Usualy 24 to 48 hr) Call NVC And conform choice of agent over Phone If they won't keep on calling them Until someone will Or other fee won't be unlocked.Also Once you get Welcome letter on email Print out Document Checklist sheet And Sent in your documents to NVC

Step 5 Pay Other Fee and Fill out DS260 (Total time from DS 261 to here should be no longer then 15 days )

​Step 6 Conform Document delivery AT NVC And Ask them Processing Time..

Step 7 Check For CC ( Hopefully no REF )

Call them every other day 2 weeks from DS260 and Check status.. Also Check Online NVC Page If you have 3 N/A your case Complete! Congratulation you are almost done.

Step 8 48 Hr After CC Conformation Call NVC For appointment for interview

Congratulation On your NVC CC AND Good Luck with Interview

Need Help? Feel free to contact me Or Post in appropriate forum section

​Like my suggestion ?

Rep would be nice for help.

Help other and spread Knowledge!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

So I have a question, my fiance's visa is at the Tokyo embassy and there is about a 98% chance we will have to cancel it. I found out that I am more than likely going to be accepting a position in Japan that will start in October. Will this look negatively for us? We are still going to get married however it will most likely be in Japan. After we are married will we have to do the CR-1 Visa? Can she get a green card if we are living in Japan but eventually going to move back to the US?

NO, a green card is for physically living in the US. When and if you ever decided to move to the US is when you would petition an I-130 CR1/IR1 visa. Cancelling the K-1 will have no future effect on her getting another visa. Just tell them why you cancelled it, you have a legitimate reason for doing so

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are exceptions with regards to u.s. citizens working for the government stationed abroad.

If you are in the military, Military spouse/family have special privilege under certain conditions as part of INA 319(b), there is no residency requirement for GC and you can submit your i-130 petition outside u.s. talk to your CO about it. I remember my friend got married recently in Okinawa and the paperworks were done in Naha.

Previous U.S. Visa/Trips
03-10-2014 : B1 issued date
03-24-2015 : B1/B2 issued date
02-26-2016 : Visited my aunt in Corpus Christi
02-27-2016 : Meet Ryan and he asked me out 
03-30-2016 : He proposed before I left U.S.
04-01-2016 : I left U.S. I wish I had enough days to marry him.
But, I have a very important business meeting to physically attend in Cebu on 04/04. I also have a business trip due in Japan for May 2016. 
Circumstances lead me to K-1. 
K1 - Journey
Spoiler

04-22-2016 : Sent I-129F Packet
07-20-2016 : Received NOA2
08-01-2016 : NVC Case # assigned
08-25-2016 : Interview Date and APPROVED!!! 
09-03-2016 : VOH
AOS - Journey
Spoiler

12-14-2016 : POE

12-30-2016 : Wedding Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-20-2017 : Sent I-485, I-765, I-131 Packet
01-24-2017 : NOA1 Received Date
02-03-2017 : Received NOA1 Hard Copy
02-04-2017 : Received Biometrics Appointment Scheduled on 02/17
02-08-2017 : Completed Biometrics
04-22-2017 : EAD Update - Card in Production
04-27-2017 : Received EAD & AP Approval Notice
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
11-17-2017 : I-485 Approved Date
11-25-2017 : I-485 Approved Notice Received
11-27-2017 : GC Received at the mailbox. No text/email notification. USCIS Case Status is still at "Fingerprint Fee Received" 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I cancelled my K-1 about 2 years ago , and now I am almost done with my spouse visa! No problems :D

Spoiler

Applying for I-130 from abroad...

4/5/2016 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

4/11/16 - NOA 1

4/13/2016 - sent to Nebraska

5/11/2016 - NOA 2

NVC:

Sent AOS & IV Packets:07/15/2016
Scan Date: 07/19/2016
Case Complete: 9/2/2016

Interview scheduled: 9/9/2016
Interview Date: 10/31/2016

Medical: 9/30/2016
Visa Approved: 10/31/2016
Visa In Hand: 11/2/2016 !!! ❤️ ❤️

Removal of conditions (I-751):

Sent packet: 9/12/2018

Packet received: 9/14/2018

Check cashed: 9/20/18

NOA1: 10/26/2018

Biometrics notice date: 10/11/2019

Biometrics appointment: 10/29/2019  

Fingerprint Review Was Completed: 11/7/19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.