Ahmed & Amy

Should I be worried???

13 posts in this topic

Hi there my fellow VJ's.

I am still in the USCIS stage with my petition awaiting approval, God Willing it will be soon. But I've been roaming the forum lately and have read many disheartening posts on those who are on AP in Egypt. It seems from what I've read that most people are put on AP. Which causes me to worry a bit.

My husband and I have been married 7 years and share a 6 year old daughter. I've been living in Egypt this entire time and just recently finally went back to visit my family last April. I have re-established my domicile and my father is planning to joint sponsor my husband. I am not so worried about documents or even the joint sponsorship; but will me living outside the US for 7 years hurt our chances of getting my husband a VISA? And what are the main factors of people being put on AP? I've read hopeful posts of other couples saying their interview went well, only to find out later that many of them are on AP and still waiting. I'm understanding that many of us have different situations, but I am still concerned.

Is there anyone out there that is or has been in a similar situation as mine? Any advice would be helpful.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

if you re-established your domicile in USA ,like child going school in US ,you have a job or you can prove your address with pay stub ,or utility bill undr your name, it will be ok, if you can provide legitimate reason why you were out of country for that long.

the number one reason to go on AP is being Muslim and male.

Edited by karachiite

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

No one can give you an exact time for AP. It's something that can take a couple of days, to a couple of years. (Years in rare circumstances) Unfortunately, middle eastern countries are well known for the long amount of time in AP, but it's nothing to worry about until the time comes. Hopefully it won't be too long for you! Good luck!

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Your long marriage and having lived together abroad is only a positive.

Still, muslim males are prone to get stuck in AP due to security checks. If his name or family members are flagged during checks, it might get lengthy. Fingers crossed it won't come to that for you :-)

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Your long marriage and having lived together abroad is only a positive.

Still, muslim males are prone to get stuck in AP due to security checks. If his name or family members are flagged during checks, it might get lengthy. Fingers crossed it won't come to that for you :-)

No one can give you an exact time for AP. It's something that can take a couple of days, to a couple of years. (Years in rare circumstances) Unfortunately, middle eastern countries are well known for the long amount of time in AP, but it's nothing to worry about until the time comes. Hopefully it won't be too long for you! Good luck!

A'n'L - Meg&Andrew,

Thanks. I'll stay positive and hopefully we won't take a long time for any reason. :content: Good luck to you all as well.

if you re-established your domicile in USA ,like child going school in US ,you have a job or you can prove your address with pay stub ,or utility bill undr your name, it will be ok, if you can provide legitimate reason why you were out of country for that long.

the number one reason to go on AP is being Muslim and male.

karachitte,

Yes I have re-established my domicile recently. What type of proofs are considered legitimate for living outside the country for so long? My husband took care of his ill father until he passed away and then he completed his university as an engineer. This is the main reason for me staying all this time.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

A'n'L - Meg&Andrew,

Thanks. I'll stay positive and hopefully we won't take a long time for any reason. :content: Good luck to you all as well.

karachitte,

Yes I have re-established my domicile recently. What type of proofs are considered legitimate for living outside the country for so long? My husband took care of his ill father until he passed away and then he completed his university as an engineer. This is the main reason for me staying all this time.

yes taking care of elderly parent is very valid and legitimate reason.I think if they ask at the the time of interview (obviously from your husband) why you guys were not living in USA for 7 yrs he can show pictures with parents.

on other note, If you are US citizen, and were working did you pay taxes last 3 yrs?If not you have to explain that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

The embassy can choose to put people in AP for a variety of reasons. Some of these you can do something about - i.e. presenting all the proof necessary to show you have a real relationship. Given your long marriage I don't see that as being an issue.

The other reason for AP, particularly in MENA countries, is the extra security background checks. These you can't really do anything about. As others have said, the will frequently - as in almost all the time for Egypt - be for Muslim males who go through AP for extra background checks.

Those unfortunately take a long time for Cairo. That's just how it is. You can't predict if they will put your case into AP and once you're in it, you certainly can't make it go any faster.

There's nothing in particular to worry about though. Just plan to give yourself extra time post interview when you could be waiting for months to get your visa. Your interview is likely to be short and go very smoothly - most do. Again that has nothing to do with the background checks. Those are for fingerprint, facial recognition and name searches in a large terrorist/criminal database that are partially done by the FBI and Homeland Security in Washington DC.

The one thing to know is AP for Cairo is listed as 5 months on the embassy website (which seems to be pretty accurate) and plenty of people wait longer, in the 7-8 month range.

yes taking care of elderly parent is very valid and legitimate reason.I think if they ask at the the time of interview (obviously from your husband) why you guys were not living in USA for 7 yrs he can show pictures with parents.

on other note, If you are US citizen, and were working did you pay taxes last 3 yrs?If not you have to explain that.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

The embassy can choose to put people in AP for a variety of reasons. Some of these you can do something about - i.e. presenting all the proof necessary to show you have a real relationship. Given your long marriage I don't see that as being an issue.

The other reason for AP, particularly in MENA countries, is the extra security background checks. These you can't really do anything about. As others have said, the will frequently - as in almost all the time for Egypt - be for Muslim males who go through AP for extra background checks.

Those unfortunately take a long time for Cairo. That's just how it is. You can't predict if they will put your case into AP and once you're in it, you certainly can't make it go any faster.

There's nothing in particular to worry about though. Just plan to give yourself extra time post interview when you could be waiting for months to get your visa. Your interview is likely to be short and go very smoothly - most do. Again that has nothing to do with the background checks. Those are for fingerprint, facial recognition and name searches in a large terrorist/criminal database that are partially done by the FBI and Homeland Security in Washington DC.

The one thing to know is AP for Cairo is listed as 5 months on the embassy website (which seems to be pretty accurate) and plenty of people wait longer, in the 7-8 month range.

Thank you dillygoose for your explanations. I will go ahead and put it in mind that the time period of the entire immigration process may be a lot longer than we were hoping for. I was really hoping to be back stateside within the first months of the coming year. Good luck to you and hopefully you will be in the US soon.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you dillygoose for your explanations. I will go ahead and put it in mind that the time period of the entire immigration process may be a lot longer than we were hoping for. I was really hoping to be back stateside within the first months of the coming year. Good luck to you and hopefully you will be in the US soon.

Thanks for the good wishes!

There's always a chance your case won't be put into AP at all.

The good news is, provided you are just in the security check AP, you'll be sure to be approved (unless your husband has committed a crime of some sort). I'm assuming that's not the situation - as that's how it is for most everyone.

They'll just take some extra time to double check the history and make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary.

Since you live together you'll at least have each other to wait with. Being apart and waiting months and months is pretty awful! But we all mostly get through it with a visa at the end.

Thanks for the good wishes!

There's always a chance your case won't be put into AP at all.

The good news is, provided you are just in the security check AP, you'll be sure to be approved (unless your husband has committed a crime of some sort). I'm assuming that's not the situation - as that's how it is for most everyone.

They'll just take some extra time to double check the history and make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary.

Since you live together you'll at least have each other to wait with. Being apart and waiting months and months is pretty awful! But we all mostly get through it with a visa at the end.

You're welcomed dear. I truly hope that you are reunited with your love too soon. I remember the months I was apart from my husband prior to us getting married (about 10 months), I can imagine just how difficult waiting can be.

Thanks again for your response. Yes, my husband thankfully does not have any criminal background nor is related to anyone who does, so hopefully the security check will go by quick when the time comes.

Bless you dear and hopefully too soon you'll be together. :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I'm with my husband 4 years, married 17 months. Ap is pretty normal for mena countries. Unfortunately nobody can say how long it will take. I'm sure you will be ok.

7/30/2015 Sent I130 priority mail to have tracking, I suggest you do the same.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

♤♤while waiting for noa2, I read this wiki to get through

NVC quickly ->http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

12/24/2015 Petition Sent to NVC from Nebraska

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

2/4/2016 paid IV Fee and waited to do ds260

2/3/2016 nvc received aos and iv packets(scan date)

2/7/2016 ds260 completed and now waiting for cc

♧CASE COMPLETE. .. march 8th

3/11/15 interview email

4/20/15 shots 4/25/15 rest of medical exam

INTERVIEW APRIL 27TH @8:30

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

June 20th submitted evidence requested

June 23rd case was touched by embassy

August 1st case was touched again.

AUGUST 16TH embassy called and wants a new co sponser yet he met requirements.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

Sept 28th update and embassy called

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

I'm with my husband 4 years, married 17 months. Ap is pretty normal for mena countries. Unfortunately nobody can say how long it will take. I'm sure you will be ok.

Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty much putting it into mind that this entire process may be just a tad longer than we originally anticipated. Take care and wish you well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.